How do i get a KU dish to point lower?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You may have already tried it but you can get your dish elevation fairly close by placing a straightedge and angle finder vertically from edge-to-edge on the reflector and "doing the math" with your offset angle and elevation above the horizon.

Good luck with it, you will get it.

Another method to get there and make it easy to experiment in getting any orbital position is to install the mast at the elevation angle corresponding to your latitude, just like setting up the pivot axis on a C-band dish mount or a KU motor. Once you have this and aimed due south, just rotate the dish on the mast to go from orbital to orbital.

30W is 9° elevation for me and this is one of the ways I hit it. These pics have the reflector mounted upside down on the mounting bracket.

IMG_20160401_143845.jpg

IMG_20160401_130301_696.jpg

IBoston here is some pics to help you out of my old setup before I got into trouble from the office.

Attachments

• IMG_20140628_185803785[1].jpg
    IMG_20140628_185803785[1].jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20140628_185744589[1].jpg
    IMG_20140628_185744589[1].jpg
    59 KB · Views: 224
Reactions: olliec420
Thanks for all these thoughts / suggestions.. Now the idea from gpflepsen is just way cool, although not possible with this particular situation, but ill have to try that in another application.

I have been using a motorized system to get 30w on a 90cm offset dish. Pole has to be perfectly plumb and solid for it to work though. It's 6 deg above the deck here too, and I have to run the motor all the way east against the stop using DISEqC in order for it to work. Think the motor is an old SG2100, still solid. This way no worries about the skew, motor takes care of that.
Takes forever for the dish to move there especially from 107w or farther away, even using 18v (horizontal polarity)! :)

Reactions: dlf35121
Looks good!

Keep an eye on the lens cover for the QPH-031 LNBF. As they age, the UV exposure makes the lens very brittle and will eventually deteriorate. When the lens material was UV tested during the QPH-031 development, we spec'd it for 10 year exposure. While many installs made that benchmark, I am certain that most did not. :( Wish I had a do-over on that choice... LOL!

Water will definitely collect at that angle!

Reactions: iBoston
Looks good!

Keep an eye on the lens cover for the QPH-031 LNBF. As they age, the UV exposure makes the lens very brittle and will eventually deteriorate. When the lens material was UV tested during the QPH-031 development, we spec'd it for 10 year exposure. While many installs made that benchmark, I am certain that most did not. :( Wish I had a do-over on that choice... LOL!

Water will definitely collect at that angle!

Thanks for the heads up. I do remember hearing that somewhere else too. Ill keep an eye on it. I have more work to do up there. I have to do some painting up there and wire organization, but the weather has NOT been cooperative. Its been a snowy/rainy two weeks.

Nice installation iBoston. Seems to be high enough so the birds won't roost on it hihi. Had similar problems with getting Telstar (15 W) signal with a Ku dish and it was solved just by moving the dish to a different area of the yard. Hope you enjoy Hispasat programming. Hint: scan all the channels, as some with the $ sign at the beginning at times are FTA.

P.S. Would not mount dish upside down, otherwise you'd have to stand on your head to view programs .......

Reactions: iBoston
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)