how do I have SA radio throughout the house?

missymssy

Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
northeast PA
I see posts that many of you broadcast the SA radio stations throughout your home. I'm getting set to try this, but I'm definitely not good with electronic stuff. I know I need to purchase an FM transmitter. But what about a remote extender and additional remotes? Do I need that, and if so, where do I get them? Will any old radio work or do I need to purchase new ones? Also, is this easy to do? Do you just plug it into the SA box and then tune the radios to...what??

The IPTV part I love-I understand all that. Wired/wireless whatever (I'm an IT person). But when it comes to electronic stuff, forget it! :D

Thanks in advance. God bless.
Melissa

I see posts that many of you broadcast the SA radio stations throughout your home. I'm getting set to try this, but I'm definitely not good with electronic stuff. I know I need to purchase an FM transmitter. But what about a remote extender and additional remotes? Do I need that, and if so, where do I get them? Will any old radio work or do I need to purchase new ones? Also, is this easy to do? Do you just plug it into the SA box and then tune the radios to...what??

The IPTV part I love-I understand all that. Wired/wireless whatever (I'm an IT person). But when it comes to electronic stuff, forget it! :D

Thanks in advance. God bless.
Melissa

Hopfully your IPTV box has RCA audio or a headphone output jacks to hook up a FM Transmitter. Plenty of cheap low power FM transmitters out there and on ebay that have ~20ft range. I would get a FM digital PLL frequency control model with 200-500mW output power with ~100ft-300ft range. Any FM radio will work to receive the signal

V6000 FM Audio transmitter
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOBILE-BLACKBOX-V6000-FM-TRANSMITTER-WIRELESS-MUSIC_W0QQitemZ120554600186QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_MP3_Player_Accessories?hash=item1c119d36fa
MobileBlackBox.com - Mobile Black Box V6000 FM Transmitter

CCrane FM Transmitter
C. Crane Company - Digital FM Transmitter - Toll Free (800) 522-8863

LOW POWER STEREO BROADCAST FM RADIO
LOW POWER STEREO BROADCAST FM RADIO TRANSMITTER (05AB) - eBay (item 280454633571 end time Apr-21-10 04:44:14 PDT)
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LCD-Digital-PLL-stereo-FM-transmitter-0-5_W0QQitemZ160422556664QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2559edf3f8

Last edited:
Whole House FM Transmitter (Gold Edition) will work just fine. I have one that looks just like that and the same specs and I'm getting at least 50ft through 4 walls in a two story house.

I'm sure all IPTV boxesl have audio jacks out.

Yes, the Whole House FM transmitter is excellent! I researched customer reviews on-line before I bought it. I bought a Crane several years ago, but sent it back because it did not have enough range or a clear enough signal. Then I used one for several years (with Sky Angel satellite service) that is made from a kit (got it from Hobbytron.com). Two years ago, that one failed and I bought the Whole House FM transmitter. It's really good, gives me a crystal clear signal throughout the house, yard, and garage. A bonus with the WH transmitter is that it comes with adapters that allow you to use it in alternate ways (in the car, connected to your computer, etc.).

You plug the FM transmitter into the back of your Sky Angel box (or TIVO box used with SA, in my case), then you look for a frequency that is quiet on your FM radio within the range the transmitter uses (it is a range on the high end of the FM band). Once you locate that, you simply set the frequency to match on the radio and the transmitter, and you are good to go. I have a radio in virtually every room of my house, including bathrooms. All I had to do for the radios was tune them to the same frequency. Then I can simply turn the radio on, and whatever audio is playing on Sky Angel plays through the radio. Sweet! One of my radios does not have a digital tuner, so I leave it on the FM transmitter frequency all the time.

You do not have to get an RF extender or extra remotes to listen to the radio throughout your house. You need them only if you want to be able to turn the Sky Angel box on/off and tune stations from another room. I bought a Next Generation extender from Amazon.com and two extra remotes from Sky Angel. (One stays on my bed stand, the other can "travel" with me around the house.) These things do add a one-time expense, but it's worth it. I think I use Sky Angel at least ten times as much as I did when I was able to watch/listen in only one room. I can reach for a remote, turn the Sky Angel box on, then tune to a radio or TV station in the middle of the night without getting out of bed. (I rely on those little beep sounds so I know where I am.)

Google "Next Generation remote extender" to get customer reviews and purchase info. I also called the company when I needed some help later (Next Generation: 1-866-834-9400 – Bob). Bob was very helpful.

A tip with the FM transmitter. I set the Sky Angel volume at the level that gives me the best signal on my radios (for me that is 90), then I never change the volume on the Sky Angel box; I adjust volume only on the TV or radio.

Hope this info helps!

Last edited:
thank you both for your responses! I am ordering the FM transmitter gold right now. And putting the remote extender on my "wish list" for ordering soon!!

Hmm. Well, it looks like no one has it in stock. (the gold edition). I ordered it from TSS right after I last posted, and my cc wasn't charged-got a vague e-mail that transaction didn't go through, and I see now it says "out of stock". I see a lot about a Whole House 2.0 (to replace the Gold, it says) but not available until end of May. Think I should pre-order it? Anyone here of it? I thought it was an ad, but saw it on ramsey site, so figured it's really legitimate.

Praying about it now.

The Gold Edition is what I have, bought it in January 2008 for $99. I see that the new 2.0 has a display and a volume control. I think it might offer more range for choosing a transmitting frequency as well. Those are all good features. However, I set my FM transmitter the day I got it and have had no need to touch it again since, so none of those newer features would matter for me. Some of those new features might be useful if you plan to use your FM transmitter in other ways besides with your Sky Angel box.

The 2.0 also advertises greater distance. The Gold Edition works well throughout my house, which is 2-story, 65 ft. long. I was careful not to drown out a favorite station my close neighbor might like - checked with him on that when I did my set-up to be sure.

By the way, that FM transmitter I had before that was built from a kit was a Ramsey -- touchy thing. I had to open it and fiddle with various settings and connections every so often to try to get the best signal. I would not recommend that one. The Whole House transmitter has been "set and forget" for me, has needed no adjustments at all in two years.

Well, it was backordered for so long I forgot I ordered it, but my FM transmitter finally got here about 2 weeks ago. And I didn't know how to hook it up, so it's just sitting there. See, I used to have an old TV (no jacks), so my brother hooked up one of those switches. So SA box, DVD, old VCR all go into that (there's my audio out), then that box goes into a stereo thing. The TV is in stereo thru that thing and two speakers. My brother hooked it all up.

SO, when he gets a chance he'll hook this up too. When it's done, I'll post back

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts