How do I know which sat to choose from dispointer.com?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

WalleyeGuy

Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
International Falls, mn
Hi Guys,

I am trying to help a friend who has an older 3-lnb DTV system. They lost signal and in our very rural area, the installers (I believe 3rd party installers) refused to help unless they cut down trees that they are not willing to cut. He asked if I would help relocate the dish to where it has a clean line of site. I looked at dishpointer.com and it looks like it will be wide open in the direction of the satellites where we'd like to move it. That seems like a very useful tool, if you know which satellite to choose from the list!

My question is, which sat do I choose from dishpointer.com's list to re-aim the dish once moved? He lives in the international Falls MN 56649 area.

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I am trying to help a friend who has an older 3-lnb DTV system. They lost signal and in our very rural area, the installers (I believe 3rd party installers) refused to help unless they cut down trees that they are not willing to cut. He asked if I would help relocate the dish to where it has a clean line of site. I looked at dishpointer.com and it looks like it will be wide open in the direction of the satellites where we'd like to move it. That seems like a very useful tool, if you know which satellite to choose from the list!

My question is, which sat do I choose from dishpointer.com's list to re-aim the dish once moved? He lives in the international Falls MN 56649 area.

Thanks!
119.0 W directv 7
101.1 W directv 4s, 9s

it's for standard definition equipment right?

Yes, they were viewing SD, I think. They really don't know...don't ask ;-) When I sat down to look at the system setup on the box/tv and signal meters, their aspect raito was off from that fit to screen crap when you are viewing SD on a HD tv and it stretches the picture to fit and I couldn't see all the text on the menu screens. I reset the ratio so I could view the entire picture then proceeded.

I'm smart enough to know the difference in SD and HD BUT on dispointer.com it seems like they say pick A (one) sat and point it in the direction of the green line gthey give you for azimuth. It is my understanding that some sats the signals come in from a different direction that the dish is pointed. Isn't that the purpose of the green azimuth line?

SO, I still am unclear as to which 1 I pick for re-aiming from the dishpointer.com list. Is it 119 or 101.1? Or am I missing it completely.

Were are moving it right now. It may never work again.

If you are using the older 3 lnb, then the dish points at the 110 satellite, but picks up signals from 101 and 119.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

We have the dish moved and pointed at 110 per dishpointer.com. We currently are at 80% signal strength on 101 and 119 but it is cloudy. When it was sunny we were around 92-95% on the signal meters. Still we get no channels and a 771 error code. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

We have the dish moved and pointed at 110 per dishpointer.com. We currently are at 80% signal strength on 101 and 119 but it is cloudy. When it was sunny we were around 92-95% on the signal meters. Still we get no channels and a 771 error code. Can anyone help me out here?

Well, I don't know about DirecTv sat pointing, but I know that for Dish, with a multi-lnb dish, it's possible to point to the right satellite, with the WRONG lnb, and have the issue you are having. You NEED to know WHICH lnb should be the one pointed at 101, and make SURE that is the one pointed at it. You can do this by covering the face with aluminum foil so they can't receive a signal. That way if the wrong lnb loses signal when covered with foil, you'll know it's still not aimed right and needs to be twisted slightly East or West.

WalleyeGuy, what's the model number of the lnb, or perhaps you can post a picture of it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)