How do I mount a 4" C dish mount to a 3" poll?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
I have an 8' C band dish I that needs a 4" poll BUT only have a 3" roof mount thing. Looks like a pallet so I don't have to put holes in the roof.
It is on the mount that sits on the ground now BUT need a better way to convert it?

Thanks

Ken pictures would be nice sounds like you have a non-pen (penetrating) mount that has a 3 inch pole

a 8 ft dish would need a large non-pen mount usually these are 8X8 the smaller mounts are for smaller dishes

but most weld shops should be able to fab up an adapter if thats the route you want to take

This is the size of NPM base and approximate concrete block ballast for a 8' dish. I might consider making a full height sleeve if the base and ballast were appropriate, but topping with a 4" adapter is pushing fate. Tremendous wind load on this large reflector. Also advised to install safety lines.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1435764091.172040.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jorgek
Hope you have a good strong roof there Brian!!

For a big reflector, I would go with at least a 4" post.

Mine uses a 6" diameter post and it has too much give when it is windy, should have an 8" but the mount has a 6" locking collar. If I was to get a newer dish I think I would re-design the whole mount and use an 8" dia post and a foot or so longer to keep the dish farther away from the snow (for winter). I would likely weld the top foot of the existing pole to a larger pole so the collar works, most of the stess moment is closer to the bottom of the pole or where braces attach anyway. This is for a 10' fiberglass dish though.

Reactions: jorgek
Yep! The building engineer confirmed the load before I hired the crane. We do have an occasional snow up here in the Sierra foothills, so the roofs are engineered better than down in the central valley. :)

Reactions: Cham
Think that NPRM is meant for a max of a 1.2 meter offset dish. Way too small to reliably hold a BUD in the air.
I'd want it, at least, doubled in area. Take a look at a cement NPRM
EarlyBUD-Ku.jpg

and further details (down the page) here : http://www.wisegise.net/BUD/3469/
8 ft wide and 5 deep by 8 inches thick. Has stood up to 60 plus MPH winds.
weight = 1 ton

Reactions: nycrich
I've just recently made adapter out of 125mm (inner diameter) x 8mm wall thickness pipe. Drilled 9 x 20mm holes and welded 9 x 20mm nuts to it. So, pipe is connected to concreted infrastructure in the ground. I can put inside of this adapter any pipe up to 125mm and also make it plumb. I also have ground stand with 100mm pipe on which I had 1,8m Prodelin mounted. Right now I have installed 1,4m plastic dish on my test-bench.
IMG_20150625_183900 (Large).jpg IMG_20150626_193042 (Large).jpg IMG_20150627_174935 (Large).jpg IMG_20150627_195949 (Large).jpg IMG_20150701_084818 (Large).jpg IMG_20150701_084848 (Large).jpg IMG_20150701_125422 (Large).jpg IMG_20150701_132216 (Large).jpg IMG_20150701_125457 (Large).jpg

To install bigger antenna on the same ground stand I just replaced inner pipe. Now there is 89mm pipe and 1,8m plastic motorized dish on top of it.
IMG_20150705_094630 (Custom).jpg IMG_20150705_093335 (Custom).jpg

I have an 8' C band dish I that needs a 4" poll BUT only have a 3" roof mount thing. Looks like a pallet so I don't have to put holes in the roof.
It is on the mount that sits on the ground now BUT need a better way to convert it?

Thanks
Lets back the boot up a min.
It was a 3.5' post I need and i think the mount was 2.5" or 3" I get back to you on that.
Well it kinda of a pain so I put a 3.5" inch X 6' pipe in
2.5' hole
80 lb of cement with 3/8" X 12" rod to keep it from turning
It is setting up now

Attachments

• img_0004.jpg
    img_0004.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 187
Something else I didn't notice early this morning : Is 30" below frost line for Central NY State?
I believe I would pull it up with a front-end loader once the concrete has set,dig out some more,and re-set it in more 'crete. (Wash the previous concrete of good first.I THINK the 2 concretes would bond ok then)Only 80 lbs of concrete should pop out easily.

Not news you want to hear,I'm sure,but easier to fix now than later.;)

I agree. Even in the hardest packed soil, it will not be adequate for a 8 foot dish. I typically use at least 4 - 80lb bags for a 90cm (36")y 12 foo
My 12 foot unimesh has only only four bags of concrete because of my soil. Once I cot down about 3 feet I could not go farther because of the hard clay and granite and the diameter was only about two foot. So what I did since I had no blasting caps was to dig sideways as far as I could at the bottom to make a inverted mushroom shape. Dish has not moved form ice, snow or some 80mph gusts in six years.

Reactions: Titanium
Where did the time go?

On my next poll I will go a bit lower, add a bag, and see how a 5' poll works.
This one feels good so far BUT it has not go though winter or stood the test of time.
That reminds me I need to put a date on the poll :)

I mounted the 8' dish on it today.
For the sake of science I plan on keeping you all posted.
Feel free to PM me if I forget or just want an update whenever.

Thanks for the help and ideas.

Lets back the boot up a min.
It was a 3.5' post I need and i think the mount was 2.5" or 3" I get back to you on that.
Well it kinda of a pain so I put a 3.5" inch X 6' pipe in
2.5' hole
80 lb of cement with 3/8" X 12" rod to keep it from turning
It is setting up now

Something else I didn't notice early this morning : Is 30" below frost line for Central NY State?
I believe I would pull it up with a front-end loader once the concrete has set,dig out some more,and re-set it in more 'crete. (Wash the previous concrete of good first.I THINK the 2 concretes would bond ok then)Only 80 lbs of concrete should pop out easily.

Not news you want to hear,I'm sure,but easier to fix now than later.;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)