Breaking wind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
To go along with my wobbly pole what ideas do you have to support dishes in high wind areas?

If you get bad north winds you can park your dished on the south side of them... Helps a bit with south winds too.
Otherwise...
-heavier commercial dishes
-heavier mounting poles and structure (usually accompanies commercial gear)

If the pole doesn't bend, but the whole pole is being blown over, the only solution is a bigger footprint on the ground. Either in weight, horizontal dimension, or both.

Post #2 missed the first sentence for some reason...
>Trees can help break the wind if they are in the right place.<

Post #2 missed the first sentence for some reason...
>Trees can help break the wind if they are in the right place.<

Amen on that, I cant use motors, cant see the entire arc, but being smack dab in the middle of the forest...not much ground level winds to worry about.

In the absence of trees, what about privacy fence panels strategically planted?

We are having another high wind event tonight and tomorrow 50 ~ 70 mph winds. All my dishes are above the roof line. I tried to make everything stronger than needed when installing the 10' perfs. 4 1/2" concrete filled pole set in 10,000 lbs. of reinforced concrete. Recent wind events have taken out a maple tree, two pine trees, and a real big fir that was getting into my line of site. All these trees were within 100' of my dishes. The dishes have come through untouched :) But this event tonight will put them to the test again.

Reactions: Titanium
That's a lot of wind... Not so bad if only a few minutes like thunderstorms etc but sustained winds over a day or two and things start to fail. An event like that took out my stab120 motor a few years ago. I had installed it on the roof where it was exposed more than it would be on the ground, in an attempt to get a better view of the arc. Broke off one of the mounting ears that holds it on the bracket. Managed to get it fixed though... but no more 1.2m roof mounted antennae!
Have a bad storm coming up here too starting tomorrow sometime with winds in the 40-50mph range, we should survive that I hope. The snow and cold weather that might come with it I am not looking forward to.
Good luck Magic!

Or dig down. Have installed a few dishes below grade.

Now, there could be a way to get around the HOA or City Ordinances. Permit to build a below grade Hot House for your plants. Could also be used to house a BUD. Now, just how many dead presidents do you want to lay on the table for this project?

Reactions: FaT Air
If the dish isn't very high,you could park a large pickup truck on the windward side as a temporary windscreen when high winds are expected.
Or go the redneck route and drop an old shipping container down beside it.Neighbors love those next door. :nana

Reactions: Bongu
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts