how do I set up my 622 to display ota local info

quick question, under the local channels setup, when you click on sat locals, it says enable/disable list satellite local channels.... which do you select? I had selected hd priority but she had me change it to sd only. not sure what is right now.

kb7oeb said:
Just out of curiosity how well did directv provide local guide data?

actually, very well. in the d* hd dvr you were able to select 2 different areas where the ota locals were coming from. I was able to select my main city, and also a secondary city that I caught some channels from.

called dish and still nothing. me and the csr did alot of stuff that was done already which ended up wasting 45 minutes of my time. Then she tried to say that my antenna was the problem!!!!!!!!!!! I shut that down real quick. if it isnt fixed or I dont hear from a engineer or something in a week or two I will swicth back to directv.

diat150 said:
called dish and still nothing. me and the csr did alot of stuff that was done already which ended up wasting 45 minutes of my time. Then she tried to say that my antenna was the problem!!!!!!!!!!! I shut that down real quick. if it isnt fixed or I dont hear from a engineer or something in a week or two I will swicth back to directv.

Hey diat150, did you ever fix this problem? I just had a Vip 622 installed today and I didn't realize there would be no OTA guide data unless subscribed to locals (and for you, even that isn't working!). This might be a deal-breaker for me...

yeah, I havent been home since they fixed it but my girlfriend said that it is now working. I had to email the ceo@dish email address after getting the run around from the csr's. that guy got back with me the next day and within a few hours of speaking with him a tech that knew what he was doing called me and worked on the problem. they were not uplinking the info or whatever. took a few days for them to get it but they did. Im now a happy customer.

Yea I am hoping this guide thing is not a deal breaker with me. I have 30 days to consider them since I just got installed yesterday. I don't understand how such a high tech box can't do something that my 2yr old D* box did perfectly. I can't believe I am having to set this thing like an old VCR to record the locals. I really have a hard time justifying paying for the locals when all I want is the damn guide data. This really pisses me off.

So do I have this right. I just got a 622 yesterday to replace my 811 and no over the air info for the digital stations are displayed. With my 811 all the information was there. Is this a weird flaw of the 622? If so that really sucks.

You must subscribe to locals from Dish in order to get guide info for digital locals on the 622. Plus you will only get info if dish provides your sd locals and only for the channels that dish provides. Usually no subchannel info or some independents that dish may not carry.

osu1991 said:
Plus you will only get info if dish provides your sd locals and only for the channels that dish provides.

That is not exactly correct (or maybe its just confusing due to the way you worded it). As an example, I subscribe to the Cincinnati locals but I can pick up the Dayton, Ohio locals via the ATSC OTA tuner. I get listings for both the Cincinnati and Dayton OTA digital locals (no subchannel listings though) as well as listing for the DISH Cincinnati SD locals via satellite.

Yeah most of the areas I am familiar with can only receive one dma, and dish has been making some changes lately. I've heard some areas are getting PBS info and some PBS subchannels.
Our PBS matches now because OETA is no longer showing the national PBS HD 24/7, but we also have those crummy subchannels that have no guide info. Our wb is actually a digital subchannel on its sister station instead of having its own digital channel so no guide info for it either.
But either way you still have to subscribe to get guide info if it is available.

I was wondering about an area like the Dayton/Cincy region. There's many people who can, and do, pick up stations from both. It would be half-worthless if the Dish guide didn't give the program information. It's interesting that they provide information for a DMA that isn't on your account though, isn't it ??

To those who want PSIP data on Dish receivers - it is pitiful. It is worse than bad. Stations do not maintain it, it is unreliable and mostly either wrong or blank.

If dish would provide full data from their other sources for all subchannels the $5 might be worth it.

I don't foresee using PSIP data for setting up recordings at this point. Typically, other than PBS, the sub-channels usually just show the same program as the main channel anyway. PBS though, in my area, has (6) total channels, I believe and it would be nice to know what program is on because the show "Digital Service" gets repeated a LOT and on every sub-channel I get ! :D

Jim5506 said:
To those who want PSIP data on Dish receivers - it is pitiful. It is worse than bad. Stations do not maintain it, it is unreliable and mostly either wrong or blank.

If dish would provide full data from their other sources for all subchannels the $5 might be worth it.

Report the stations to the FCC. The FCC has regulations and mandates for PSIP data that stations are supposed to follow.

While you're at it also mention to them that since there are rules governing PSIP data that the stations must follow, it bothers you that companies like Dish Network are allowed to sell equipment that circumvents the same PSIP data that stations are required to provide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)