How do I use VOD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dennis Brown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I'm a new subscriber to Directv and want to record some old episodes of Suits (on USA). They're only available on VOD, which I selected. It indicates that the episodes are available to download. I don't know how to do this. Does my receiver need to be connected to the internet? If so, can someone tell me how to do this. Our internet is now connected to a router, which is not near my Directv DVR.

Thanks,

Dennis

You can just plug the receiver into ethernet which is cheap, or order a "cinema connection kit" which allows you to connect the receiver to your wireless network. The kit is on the equipment page of your directv.com account. It costs either $25 or $79 depending on your current configuration.

The VOD is free, once you connect internet, and wait about 24 hours for the receiver to update, you just press the record button on the listing and it downloads.

Dennis,
Lets backup a bit here. When you ask a question like this you need to say what your configuration is. How many receivers/DVRs do you have? If you only have one, then the connection to the back of the DVR works. If you have MRV you don't want to connect anything directly to your receiver. (Unless you want to setup the "unauthorized" MRV which is silly in today's world.) If you have multiple HD receivers with MRV your only real option is a cinema connection kit.

You say you have a router that is not close to your DVR. Is your router wireless? If so, you are in luck. DirecTV now sells a wireless cinema connection kit that will work with your wireless router. You can find it here.(It is the picture in the middle of the page.) This is sold on a self-install basis and you can install it near your DVR.

If your router does not have a wireless connection, you can replace it with one that does or get the wired version of the cinema connection kit. The wired version requires that you connect an ethernet cable from your router to the box and then coax from the box to a splitter in your line. The box requires power so you need to put it where you can plug it in. It is up to you how you would want to run the wiring. Second, if you choose this option and you have MRV and you want to order the cinema connection kit from D*, they require a professional install. If you don't have the right tools and equipment to make the connections, this is a bargain. If you have the tools and knowledge, you can do what I did and get a connection kit from ebay for something in the $25 range.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Thanks to everyone. We have a Belkin router into which the internet feeds. This allows all of our other computers plus my Ipad to receive the internet signal without being attached to any wires. Does this mean that my router is wireless?

Thanks again

Obviously, I'm not a technical wizard. But I've a lot on this forum.

Dennis

Bob:

I have two HDDVR's, both HR 24's. However, I only want to download VOD programming to the one in the living room. I printed the Cinema Connection Kit installation manual off the Directv website. The installation looks pretty simple.

Dennis

I just ordered the Cinema Connection Kit from Directv. They're going to have a professional installer connect it even though it's considered a "self installation" device. There's no charge for either the device or the installation. I don't know why . . .Maybe it's because my Directv bill is about the size of my mortgage payment.

Thanks again,

Dennis

Great! Interesting that they are going to do it for no charge to you. They missed the cinema connection installation which was supposed to be free when I had my install and would not come back for less than $75. That's why I did it myself. Glad to hear things worked out for you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)