How do users like the 722?

RJS

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Hazel Green, WI
I am considering going back to HD. I had it taken out after being an early adopter when HD first started on Dish. I wanted the regular channels I was getting to be in HD and unfortunatly that was a long way off.

Also, the receiver, a first generation two tuner non DVR did a lousy job with SD pictures. Blurry and out of focus. I had it taken out and hooked up to a 625 and was very happy! Great picture! Not HD quality, of course, but damn good nontheless.

So...now it looks like many new channels are becoming HD. Not new useless channels but the channels most folks like to watch. I'm becoming interested once again.

Only one question remains for me to get back on the bandwagon. Until all or most of this years new additions are online there are still going to be a lot of my favorite channels broadcast in SD. My old receiver did a lousy job with it's upconverting. Does the 722 do a decent job with this? How does the 722 SD picture compare with that of a 625?

A lot of the shows I watch are on the networks. I can't get reception by attenna where I'm at so I have to get the locals via Dish. Since adding Madison, WI locals seems to be a ways off yet I'll have to watch them via SD. As you can guess it wouldn't be pleasant watching a blurry out of focus picture so I'm hoping the 722 can do a good job.

I'd appreciate any info you folks can give on this subject. Thank you.

The 612, 622 and 722 receivers ARE AWESOME :D. Much better than D's and I use both everyday.

I've had the 622 for a year now, and getting the 722 this Wednesday. Love the receiver. You mentioned Madison locals, I get the Madison locals and you will be happy to know that by connecting rabbit ears to the receiver you can get 12 HD and digital channels over the air.

The 722 is great, I think. The frmware is almost bulletproof, gracefully coping with just about any illogical sequences of buttonpushes you can throw at it.

I love the flexibility of being able to play recordings, and at the same same check the guide and schedule other recordings.

I recently had my second one installed, and both units are running flawlessly. The 722 is the main reason I went with Dish instead of Direct, and I have no regrets. I can live with a few less HD channels on Dish for the short term, but the DVR is a long term proposition.

I held off for quite a while in getting a 722 through DIU because I was concerned about the long commitment and no new HD. But after a few billing issues which nearly drove me to D*, I got a 722 at no charge last week (of course I had to go through the ceo email route to get results but they were very helpful).

I must say that the 722 is all it's said to be and more. Very stable (except for one reset) and extremely user friendly. It also seems to be a little quieter than the 622 but I'm going from memory on that one from the last time I was at my folks house. Maybe I'm giving it too much credit but it also seems like SD looks a little better than my 211 did while HD is on par.

Great unit-go for it!

I love my 722. It is the most influential reason I chose Dish. SD looks just fine on my 46" Samsung LCD. Much better than when I had TWC. I just wish HDMI worked with my set. It (the TV) is a bit finicky, but it works fine with PS3 and AppleTV, so I put at least part of the blame on Dish.

I would like to replace my 625 with another 722, but I would have to buy an HDTV for the bedroom, and we just don't watch enough TV in there to justify the investment.

Ted

I have a 722 in the living room and a 622 in the bedroom. IMO, the 722 feels quicker or more responsive, a lot quieter and more stable than the 622. It's also black and goes with all the A/V equipment I have.

I've sevearal 722's and all are the best behaved of any Dish DVR in Dish history. I often make transfers to external HDD while using the box to watch or playback at the same time and experience no problems. The 722 is easily the best HD DVR available today. I am extremely pleased and surprised with the advanced functions of this box and how well it performs. Everything really seems to work. I've yet to rent a movie via broadband, but might if it is a title I like just to see how well that feature performs. My OTA experiences are quite positive and use OTA to record a number of shows. IT WORKS!

The 722 is the sole reason I stayed with Dish, even as Direct was adding tons more HD. It's chipset delivers awesome HD and SD (when Dish is compressing it to death) to your monitor, and it's OTA tuners are first rate.

That, and it always - always - records what's been scheduled.

I upgraded my mother from a 721 to a 722 last week. The 722 seems like a pretty good DVR, although it can get a little slow when recording more than one program while watching another. The OTA tuner could be a little better too, but in general she's pretty happy with it. I used to have Dish a couple years ago at my house, and they have come a long way with their HD. The mpeg4's look pretty good compared to what I remember on my old 811. I may even break down and resign up for the HD package to supplement my BUD one day.

I just wish HDMI worked with my set. It (the TV) is a bit finicky, but it works fine with PS3 and AppleTV, so I put at least part of the blame on Dish.

Ted

You have HDMI problems with a Samsung LCD? I have a Samsung DLP and never have HDMI problems. Neither does my dad with his Samsung DLP or my brother with his Samsung CRT HDTV. They have 622's but that shouldn't matter. Have you tried any other HDMI devices?

You have HDMI problems with a Samsung LCD? I have a Samsung DLP and never have HDMI problems. Neither does my dad with his Samsung DLP or my brother with his Samsung CRT HDTV. They have 622's but that shouldn't matter. Have you tried any other HDMI devices?
Or try other HDMI cables? Have heard about Monster Cable failures, probably because of the high costs. If my $5 HDMI craps out, it is easy to justify spending another $5 on a new cable without whining about it.

I love my 722. It is the most influential reason I chose Dish. SD looks just fine on my 46" Samsung LCD. Much better than when I had TWC. I just wish HDMI worked with my set. It (the TV) is a bit finicky, but it works fine with PS3 and AppleTV, so I put at least part of the blame on Dish.

I would like to replace my 625 with another 722, but I would have to buy an HDTV for the bedroom, and we just don't watch enough TV in there to justify the investment.

Ted

I have two 46" Samsung LCD's (71's) and have HDMI with my 722's and the DVD players on both. Check the TV settings and cables.

I have two 46" Samsung LCD's (71's) and have HDMI with my 722's and the DVD players on both. Check the TV settings and cables.

Yeah, I have been through all that. I also upgraded the firmware on the set (LN-S4696D), but no luck. It seems that the set expects a certain color space (Full RGB on PS3, RGB High on AppleTV), and the 722 just doesn't send that one. It is Samsung's fault for only dealing with the one color space and Dish's for only sending one.

Ted

My 722 is slowing coming out of sleep mode and the remote acts like it needs the receiver to warm up a little bit before it starts working right. Other than that it is awesome.

Something to think about. LCDs are lit by fluorescents.

I've experienced fluorescent lights interfering IR with remotes in my home. I had to change to a different fixture to cure that problem or else have the lights off. Have you tried it via UHF?

One other time some years back a Dishplayer keyboard had slipped and a key was being pressed. That drove me crazy wondering why all my remotes needed to be near the devices and pointed just right.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)