How do you feel about mascots in sports?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
As a PTI watcher, one of the things that has annoyed is Wilbon's disdain for mascots (It's weird- Kornheiser gets blasted for his work on Monday Night Football, but on PTI, Wilbon's the one that annoys me, but that's for another story).

I have always enjoyed mascots in sports.

How do you feel about them?

i like mascots in that they make the half inning break or halftime/tv timeout breaks better.

I hate them in that they distract from the game while the action is going on when you have all the kids screaming/attracting to the mascot who is walking around in the stands while you are trying to watch the action on the field/court.

College football - An important part of the tradition of most schools.

College basketball - Nice extension of that tradition, providing the arena is set up in such a way as to allow them to get out of sightlines during play.

Pro football - Stupid.

Pro basketball - Reason #3478 why the NBA is all smoke and mirrors.

Pro baseball - sacreligious.

I have no problem with their antics during timeouts, between innings, etc., except when they affect the health of the players ;)

BTW, the caption of the video should probably read "Mariner Moose on ATV collides with Coco Crisp"

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jZe1hDIEHJM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jZe1hDIEHJM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

For schools they are fine. For baseball, hockey and the NBA they are OK because they entertaine the kids and between innings, periods or a half.
Football on the other hand doesn't need them, but maybe because I hate the Steelers mascot.:p

For schools they are fine. For baseball, hockey and the NBA they are OK because they entertaine the kids and between innings, periods or a half.
Football on the other hand doesn't need them, but maybe because I hate the Steelers mascot.:p

Didn't they model him after Bill Cohwer?

Attachments

• steelymcdui.jpg
    steelymcdui.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 149

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)