The Mt. Rushmore of Sports

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
ESPN.com is discussing the mythical "Mt. Rushmore of Sports", and the four sports icons of all-time who would be enshrined there.

My picks are:

Babe Ruth
Muhammad Ali
Jackie Robinson
Tiger Woods

Who would you pick??

ESPN.com is discussing the mythical "Mt. Rushmore of Sports", and the four sports icons of all-time who would be enshrined there.

My picks are:

Babe Ruth
Muhammad Ali
Jackie Robinson
Tiger Woods

Who would you pick??

Very tough question. Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson for sure. And Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. After that it gets really hard. Tiger Woods is a great one, but so are Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus. I don't know how to order them. I think Sandy Koufax deserves consideration. If you don't restrict it to athletes, I think a great announcer should be up there. Vin Scully is the one I am most familiar with, but I am sure there are others equally great that I don't know as well. And if you will let me include a non-human, I vote for Secretariat. Considering what they do to race horses, he was one incredible athlete.

Since you already voted for Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, and Tiger Woods, let me vote for these:

1. Sandy Koufax
  2. Arnold Palmer
  3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
  4. (tie) Vin Scully and Secretariat

I'm inclined to exclude hockey players because it is a sport that less than ten percent of the population has ever played, and that even less than that would miss if it were gone. And I lived in New England in the Bobby Orr/Phil Esposito era.

Secretariat was number 30-something in ESPN's list of the greatest North American athletes of the 20th century, which is dubious, since horses are either ineligible for inclusion or are not, and if they are eligible, Secretariat was number 1.

Last edited:
ESPN did something similar a few weeks ago, only asking for a Mt. Rushmore for each state. The players, coaches and sports figures to select from had to either be born in this state or have had a significant impact during their career in this state to be considered.

For instance, Ohio chose...

Jack Nicklaus
Jesse Owens
Paul Brown
Woody Hayes

(A few other standouts would be Jim Thorpe, Jim Brown, Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Bob Feller, Cy Young, Oscar Robertson, Archie Griffin and LeBron James).

My picks are:

Babe Ruth
Muhammad Ali
Jackie Robinson
Tiger Woods

Who would you pick??

I'm as big of a Tiger fan as anyone else, but if it were to be decided today, you would have to put Jack up there instead of Tiger. After all, he still holds the Major Tourney Wins record over Tiger.

I'm as big of a Tiger fan as anyone else, but if it were to be decided today, you would have to put Jack up there instead of Tiger. After all, he still holds the Major Tourney Wins record over Tiger.
That's a good point. :up

I'm not that familiar with Jack's impact at the time as I am with the first three I mentioned....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)