The Mt. Rushmore of Sports

THIS IS a fantasy wish list so to speak...right? Why do we need only 4 heads? Chief.....;)

There has to be a cut-off at some point. That's why this is such a hard debate. Chose only 4.

Of all time, I say...

Ali
Jordon
Babe
Jack (until Tiger surpasses him)

All of the above names are known on a 1 name basis. Their faces are as easily recognizable as their accomplishments to their respective sports. BTW, you could easily make a case to substitute Jack out for Gretzky.

On a side note, I find it interesting that in America's #1 sport (NFL), I found it very difficult to come up with one standout representative. Is their a consensus "best player ever" in that sport?

There has to be a cut-off at some point. That's why this is such a hard debate. Chose only 4.

Of all time, I say...

Ali
Jordon
Babe
Jack (until Tiger surpasses him)

All of the above names are known on a 1 name basis. Their faces are as easily recognizable as their accomplishments to their respective sports. BTW, you could easily make a case to substitute Jack out for Gretzky.

On a side note, I find it interesting that in America's #1 sport (NFL), I found it very difficult to come up with one standout representative. Is their a consensus "best player ever" in that sport?

Thank you for that. He may be the best of the current era, but Jack still holds the title of "Best of all time". He did it against real competition. I don't want to take anything away from Tiger, I do believe that in the end, he will own all the records for wins and Majors. I'll crown him then.

you know this was done by states. five finalists and the winner announced earlier this week. illinois with jordan, sweetness, mr cub and da coach. have no arguments with 3 of the 4 but ditka?

Mt. Rushmore is an AMERICAN icon! This should be limited to AMERICAN athletes! While Gretzky,Clemente and Pele are worthy candidates they are Not AMERICAN. If this was a Canadian poll it would be just as provincial. Also, are talking 4 major sports or sports in general because besides Jesse Owens their have been a number of great Olympians. Paul

Mt. Rushmore is an AMERICAN icon! This should be limited to AMERICAN athletes! While Gretzky,Clemente and Pele are worthy candidates they are Not AMERICAN. If this was a Canadian poll it would be just as provincial. Also, are talking 4 major sports or sports in general because besides Jesse Owens their have been a number of great Olympians. Paul

Sports in general. Olympians and even coaches have made the list.

Massachusetts has Ted Williams, Red Auerbach, Bobby Orr and Tom Brady.

Williams and Red are no-brainers, and I'm okay with Orr....but Brady???

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player and all, but how does he get above Bill Russell and Larry Bird?

My four would have been Williams, Auerbach, Russell, Bird.

Yup, that's three Celtics affiliations, but to the victors go the spoils.

My home state has Ernie DiGregorio, Nap Lajoie, Dave Gavitt.......and Rocco Baldelli. :eek:

May we borrow someone from another state? :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts