How do you feel about the owners of your favorite teams?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
With the thread on the new Cub owners, I was wondering how you feel about the owner/owners of your favorite teams.

If the current Browns and Indians owners sold the teams, it would be a blessing to the city and fanbase. Randy Lerner (Browns) doesn't know how to make a decision and can't seem to select the right people to put in charge. Larry/Paul Dolan (Indians) don't have the money it takes to compete in a mid-market town.

As for Dan Gilbert, owner of the Cavs, he is a class-act. He runs the organization with open pockets and has made all of the right moves so far. If I could clone him, he'd be one of my first choices for a Browns and Indians replacement owner.

My thought's on the Ford family (Detroit Lions) are well documented on these pages. (Please sell the team!) As for Mr Ilitch, (Red Wings and Tigers), I couldn't say enough good things about his ownership. The same goes for the late Mr. Davidson (Pistons). I would hope that the family will carry the flag as well as he did.

Well, let's see:

The Marlins.....Mr Loria, you FINALLY got your stadium. Now, don't FU** it up!!:D
The Raiders....Al Davis, 'nuff said!
The Heat........2010 is right around the corner, Mickey Aronson, you better not lose Wade because IF YOU DO, you will be run out of the state and then have to sell Carnival Cruise Lines too!

Well, let's see:

The Marlins.....Mr Loria, you FINALLY got your stadium. Now, don't FU** it up!!:D
The Raiders....Al Davis, 'nuff said!
The Heat........2010 is right around the corner, Mickey Aronson, you better not lose Wade because IF YOU DO, you will be run out of the state and then have to sell Carnival Cruise Lines too!

I know you're a Raider fan Salsa, but I never heard the story on why your not a Dolphin fan? You are Mr. Miami after all. Growing up in the 1980's, I idolized Dan Marino as much as my hometown boy, Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar. How do you live in that city and not also attach yourself to that franchise? (Just curious)

I know you're a Raider fan Salsa, but I never heard the story on why your not a Dolphin fan? You are Mr. Miami after all. Growing up in the 1980's, I idolized Dan Marino as much as my hometown boy, Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar. How do you live in that city and not also attach yourself to that franchise? (Just curious)

I wish I could answer that. I have moved around quite a bit in my life, but most of my years have been in Miami(24 of my 44 years, more or less), in some cases, I adopted some of the teams of the cities I lived in....but I NEVER, EVER took a liking to the Dolphins. That undefeated team, HATED THEM! LOL!

McCourts have shown themselves to be excellent owners; not as good as the O'Malleys, but much much better than Murdoch.

I don't even care who owns my favorite teams, as long as they're not owned by the f'ing Dolans (MSG, Knicks, Rangers).

Was sad to see Lamar Hunt pass, but Clark Hunt isn't the sentimental old bastard his father was and isn't going to let another GM run the Chiefs like Carl Peterson did and let him spend 20 years working on a 5 year plan.

What do i know though, only interest I had in football 20 years ago was the 'cats' I wanted to win in the Super Bowl on my birthday losing (1989, I turned 10 as the 49ers beat the Bengals), so didn't bother with it for a long time.

Friend kinda liked the Chiefs, and I liked their colors/logo, and it sucked me in from there.

Last edited:
Arte Moreno of the Angels? Class and ca$h act!

The Samueli's of the Ducks are excellent owners with deep pockets and tons of community involvement. However, Henry Samueli is more than likely going to do some high-end prison time for some alleged stock fraud or something, so it is not clear if his wife will be allowed to own the team singularly.

Right now, Anaheim is a great professional sports town owner-wise. :angel:

Arte Moreno of the Angels? Class and ca$h act!

The Samueli's of the Ducks are excellent owners with deep pockets and tons of community involvement. However, Henry Samueli is more than likely going to do some high-end prison time for some alleged stock fraud or something, so it is not clear if his wife will be allowed to own the team singularly.

Right now, Anaheim is a great professional sports town owner-wise. :angel:
I agree. Arte did a lot to improve the quality of the team and market the team throughout the entire LA market, instead of just thinking of them as a OC team.

If the current Browns and Indians owners sold the teams, it would be a blessing to the city and fanbase. Randy Lerner (Browns) doesn't know how to make a decision and can't seem to select the right people to put in charge. Larry/Paul Dolan (Indians) don't have the money it takes to compete in a mid-market town.

As for Dan Gilbert, owner of the Cavs, he is a class-act. He runs the organization with open pockets and has made all of the right moves so far. If I could clone him, he'd be one of my first choices for a Browns and Indians replacement owner.

:up This is the credited response for the city of Cleveland.

The Mets have horrible owners. Sorry, but that's how I feel. They built a new stadium as a testimonial to the Dodgers! They spend their money poorly, have a horrible minor league system, and hire mostly-moron GMs. (Heck, one of our ex-GM's does ESPN baseball because he could not get another GM job, and another is a total moron who traded Scott Kazimir for a washed up starter.) They rarely hold anyone accountable, and let the team flop around in the breeze with over rated players.

Over the years, I'd say the Mets have had bad ownership since the Payson's sold the team.

My thought's on the Ford family (Detroit Lions) are well documented on these pages. (Please sell the team!) As for Mr Ilitch, (Red Wings and Tigers), I couldn't say enough good things about his ownership. The same goes for the late Mr. Davidson (Pistons). I would hope that the family will carry the flag as well as he did.

I agree, In regards to the Lions I think Ford Junior appears that he would do things different from some of the interviews he gives, but we wont ever know unless he ever takes control of the team

Ditto! My rants about the Ford family are well documented; if you look up the word scumbag in the dictionary you will find the photographs of William Clay Ford Sr. and Jr. On the other end of the spectrum, Mr. Ilitch is a model owner and certainly one of the Top 3 in all of professional sports. Although I am not a big fan of Little Ceasars Pizza, I gladly go out of my way to buy a dozen or so of his pizzas each year.

The Ilitch Family = :angel:
The Ford Family = :devil:

Reds: They are trying harder than any owner for many years.

Bengals: I wish he would sell the team. His dad would have left the team to someone else if he were alive today.

Redskins: Trys hard but probably should not make as many decisions himself.

Lakers: Current champs what else can I say. :D

Penguins: Current champs what else can I say. :D

Steelers -The Rooneys are a class act of owners, plus they won the Superbowl.

Penguins -Mario is a great owner, plus they won the Stanley cup and is getting a new arena.

Pirates -Robert Nutting....Ummmm...He Freaking Sucks.

Rangers/Knicks - James Dolan, Mr. Nepotism. He rips off his cable customers, and he successfully lobbied to stop the West Side Stadium project for the Jets. He kept the Yankees off his cable systems for years, first when the Yankees moved to MSG back in the 90's, then more recently when they created the YES network. He decided to pick a fight, Jerry Jones-style, with the NHL regarding the Rangers website for some reason. Oh, and he also pushes elderly people out of his way, and kicks puppies in his spare time.

Regarding his sports teams, he gives his GM's all the money they could possibly want to spend, to acquire any player they could possibly want. And he totally steps back, stays out of the way, and lets the GM's run their teams without interference. Awesome plan, except...

For the Rangers, he picked Glen Sather, who has this job for life. Wrong choice. Seemed like a good choice, the man came here with a winning resume, but it was an old resume. And all the money in the world doesn't help much in a league where there is a hard cap.

For the Knickss, he stuck with the 'Enemy of the Franchise', Isiah Thomas, for waaaaaaaaaaaay too long. I didn't think he'd ever get fired either, but he did, for all intents and purposes. The jury is still out on Donnie Walsh, but at least he's not Isiah.

For all his faults, if Dolan would just pick good GM's, he'd be a great owner of your sports team.

Yankees - George Steinbrenner. What can you say? Where he took the team from 1974-now is staggering. The man wants to win, and will pay whatever it takes to do so. Hopefully his sons will run the team the same way.

Jets - Woody Johnson - Seems like a good guy whose heart is in the right place. I like Mr. T, and I'm glad Mangini is gone. Good luck, Cleveland.

Sandra

Was sad to see Lamar Hunt pass, but Clark Hunt isn't the sentimental old bastard his father was and isn't going to let another GM run the Chiefs like Carl Peterson did and let him spend 20 years working on a 5 year plan.

What do i know though, only interest I had in football 20 years ago was the 'cats' I wanted to win in the Super Bowl on my birthday losing (1989, I turned 10 as the 49ers beat the Bengals), so didn't bother with it for a long time.

Friend kinda liked the Chiefs, and I liked their colors/logo, and it sucked me in from there.

That ain't so bad. The Lion's are in year 52 of their 5 year plan.

Rangers/Knicks - James Dolan, Mr. Nepotism. He rips off his cable customers, and he successfully lobbied to stop the West Side Stadium project for the Jets. He kept the Yankees off his cable systems for years, first when the Yankees moved to MSG back in the 90's, then more recently when they created the YES network. He decided to pick a fight, Jerry Jones-style, with the NHL regarding the Rangers website for some reason. Oh, and he also pushes elderly people out of his way, and kicks puppies in his spare time.

Regarding his sports teams, he gives his GM's all the money they could possibly want to spend, to acquire any player they could possibly want. And he totally steps back, stays out of the way, and lets the GM's run their teams without interference. Awesome plan, except...

For the Rangers, he picked Glen Sather, who has this job for life. Wrong choice. Seemed like a good choice, the man came here with a winning resume, but it was an old resume. And all the money in the world doesn't help much in a league where there is a hard cap.

For the Knickss, he stuck with the 'Enemy of the Franchise', Isiah Thomas, for waaaaaaaaaaaay too long. I didn't think he'd ever get fired either, but he did, for all intents and purposes. The jury is still out on Donnie Walsh, but at least he's not Isiah.

For all his faults, if Dolan would just pick good GM's, he'd be a great owner of your sports team.

Yankees - George Steinbrenner. What can you say? Where he took the team from 1974-now is staggering. The man wants to win, and will pay whatever it takes to do so. Hopefully his sons will run the team the same way.

Jets - Woody Johnson - Seems like a good guy whose heart is in the right place. I like Mr. T, and I'm glad Mangini is gone. Good luck, Cleveland.

Sandra

Hank seems to be George all over again. No arguing with there success. They're the Detroit Red Wings of MLB! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)