How do you know if they are laying FIOS?

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
They have been digging trenches for the past few months throughout my subdivision and they have been snaking big thick orange cable along with what appears to be black cable. About a week a go a truck with a spool of the big think orange cable stopped at the end of my street dug a hole started snaking it I guess down the street. Anyone knows what this might be? I'm hoping FIOS.:)

They have been digging trenches for the past few months throughout my subdivision and they have been snaking big thick orange cable along with what appears to be black cable. About a week a go a truck with a spool of the big think orange cable stopped at the end of my street dug a hole started snaking it I guess down the street. Anyone knows what this might be? I'm hoping FIOS.:)

If your local phone company is Verizon I'd say that your area will have FIOS very soon. The orange cable underground isn't a cable but a tub or conduit. Once that conduit is underground the fiber itself which is the black cable will be strung inside this orange conduit. The orange conduit allows the fiber to stay protected and it also makes it quite easy to replace and/or repair damaged fiber. Now that this step is being done I'd say with a tad bit of luck you will have access to FIOS in around six months maybe a little less time or more.

Also because I don't know where you live just keep in mind that if your state doesn't have a statewide franchise deal in place you may not see FIOS TV service. Verizon must have a franchise deal in place with your local town/city or they need a statewide franchise deal "before" they can offer TV service in your area. But you will have access to internet and phone services over the FIOS network as soon as they can have all the hardware in place and ready to go.

If your local phone company is Verizon I'd say that your area will have FIOS very soon. The orange cable underground isn't a cable but a tub or conduit. Once that conduit is underground the fiber itself which is the black cable will be strung inside this orange conduit. The orange conduit allows the fiber to stay protected and it also makes it quite easy to replace and/or repair damaged fiber. Now that this step is being done I'd say with a tad bit of luck you will have access to FIOS in around six months maybe a little less time or more.

Also because I don't know where you live just keep in mind that if your state doesn't have a statewide franchise deal in place you may not see FIOS TV service. Verizon must have a franchise deal in place with your local town/city or they need a statewide franchise deal "before" they can offer TV service in your area. But you will have access to internet and phone services over the FIOS network as soon as they can have all the hardware in place and ready to go.

I'm in an area served by AT&T. :(

I'm in an area served by AT&T. :(

Well it sure as heck won't be fiber from Verizon but I'm sure its fiber from AT&T. Your local phone company AT&T is laying fiber all the way to each neighborhood but unlike Verizon it will stay copper the rest of the way to each house. Hey at least you live in a state that the phone company wants to serve. In my state of New Hampshire my local phone company Verizon doesn't even want to serve this state (they want to sell it off) so I bet I'll never seen fiber all the way to my home. At least with AT&T you most likely will have fiber all the way to your home like Verizon does once two years go by and AT&T figured out how stupid they were. See I have hope you will see the full works but me nope never going to happen and I'm in a fricking Verizon market.

Well it sure as heck won't be fiber from Verizon but I'm sure its fiber from AT&T. Your local phone company AT&T is laying fiber all the way to each neighborhood but unlike Verizon it will stay copper the rest of the way to each house. Hey at least you live in a state that the phone company wants to serve. In my state of New Hampshire my local phone company Verizon doesn't even want to serve this state (they want to sell it off) so I bet I'll never seen fiber all the way to my home. At least with AT&T you most likely will have fiber all the way to your home like Verizon does once two years go by and AT&T figured out how stupid they were. See I have hope you will see the full works but me nope never going to happen and I'm in a fricking Verizon market.

Thanks for the info and I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Right now I have D* but unless another Katrina comes through here I will be treed out by next summer and have to with Charter cable which really stinks around here. I was just hoping I would have the FIOS option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)