How do you make a roof mount leakproof?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I use standard Duck Tape to hold the dish in the desired spot. Usually no more that a two rolls are needed.

For sealant I use the Bazooka Joe brand chewing gum. Chew it 5 or 6 times and then plug the hole with it. It works great. Plus when you are done, you have a cool comic strip to read.

but, that's just my method, you may prefer Hubba Bubba or something.

really? ive been using EXTRA gums... i guess im using the wrong kind.

None that you've noticed or observed long enough.

I figured someone would chime in and say something like this.
:rolleyes:

The one installed on my parents house has been there 13 years with outdoor silicone sealant around it. No problems.
You'll probably reply and say - That you know of. :haha
Whatever....
:rolleyes:

what you are saying is Bishop tape...

it is MANDATORY that every installer in Directv to use Bishop tape on roof mount. NOT silicone. we only use silcone to fill lag bolt holes if we are REMOVING the dish from the WALL. if it is on the roof and we're moving it, the base will stay but the mast will be removed.
Tar patch, Bishop tape, and pitch patch are the same, just different company call it differently.

It is mandatory for DirecTV and Dish network’s techs to use bishop tape. Bishop tape works very well in creating a sealed on the roof and sticks to the asphalt shingles very will and holds up to roof temps. While silicone don’t do as well in high heat. It is a fail for a DirecTV and Dish network techs to use SILICONE on a roof.

Correctamundo. And neither doors nor windows are on top of your house.

Well you see, I think you missed the point. I also dont think you'd be much fun to party with.

Great comeback FONZIE.
You must have come up with that one sitting at Arnolds with Ralph Malph, Potsie, and Richie Cunningham.

Well you see, I don't think there was a point to miss.
I also don't think you'd be much fun to party with.

but, that's just my method, you may prefer Hubba Bubba or something.

:haha

I figured someone would chime in and say something like this.

Actual knowledge is pretty annoying when it conflicts with the anecdotal version, huh? :p

Here's the thing...theres a right way to do this, some mostly right ways, and a lot of really wrong ways. Seems like some folks who know roofing (my brother has done it for 20 years) gave a lot of info on what considered the right way and some real installers gave some ideas on whats worked for them and is probably mostly right.

Some people would learn from the experience and go from there.

Come on...put yer pants on yer head...roads thataway! I swear, its good every time! ;)

Since being kicked up to the office to sell re-roofing and service I've found that among the many different types of customers I find two types that fit here.

1. Customers who want you to tell them what they need. "You're the expert you tell me, I make/fix widgets not roofs". The OP (and me).

2. Customers who tell you what they want, Doesn't matter if it's not what they need. They read it somewhere or someone else told them what they wanted hear and that's good enough.

While number 2 is a challenge, I've found that #2 generally doesn't want to be sold what you're selling because he knows better.

I'll walk away from #2 unless there's a willingness to at least listen, consider and possibly learn something they didn't know.

I'm walking away from portions of this conversation. Stonewalls are not very good listeners.

Tar patch, Bishop tape, and pitch patch are the same, just different company call it differently.

It is mandatory for DirecTV and Dish network’s techs to use bishop tape. Bishop tape works very well in creating a sealed on the roof and sticks to the asphalt shingles very will and holds up to roof temps. While silicone don’t do as well in high heat. It is a fail for a DirecTV and Dish network techs to use SILICONE on a roof.

This is a good policy...as long as the bolts hit a rafter.

I think silicone got into the mix because you do need it for sealing holes in vinyl siding. The two sealants are not really interchangeable. They are about the same price. The tech just has to have both aboard...Bishop tape last longer while asphalt caulk will dry in the tube once it has been opened.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)