How do you qualify for HD DNS?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VMI90

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
King William, VA
I tried doing a search in past forums, but some of the info is dated (2006) so I'm not sure if it's still accurate with recent regulations.

What exactly are the qualifications to receive the HD DNS?

I read something about stations that are owned and operated and Locals in Local, but I wasn't entirely sure what that meant.

Here in the Richmond/Petersburg, VA area, D* offers SD locals, but not HD.

I do have waivers for both CBS and FOX, but those were obtained prior to SD locals being offered in this area.

Thanks!

I tried doing a search in past forums, but some of the info is dated (2006) so I'm not sure if it's still accurate with recent regulations.

What exactly are the qualifications to receive the HD DNS?

I read something about stations that are owned and operated and Locals in Local, but I wasn't entirely sure what that meant.

Here in the Richmond/Petersburg, VA area, D* offers SD locals, but not HD.

I do have waivers for both CBS and FOX, but those were obtained prior to SD locals being offered in this area.

Thanks!

Here is the site to enter you address to find out if you can get it:
http://
directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressForm.aspx

FIND OUT IF YOU’RE ELIGIBLE FOR DNS
Some DIRECTV customers, in areas where they cannot receive local channels, are eligible for DNS (Distant Network Service), which provides Los Angeles and New York feeds of ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC.

If eligible, a cost of $1.50 per month for each DNS channel will be added to your current programming package.

Out-of-market network affiliates are available only to customers who do not live in an area where DIRECTV offers local channels and who cannot receive an over-the-air signal of a primary station affiliated with a network of at least grade B intensity, as defined by the Federal Communications Commission.

Enter your address, city, state and ZIP Code to determine your DNS eligibility.

RICHMOND, VA 23219-2109 Standard Distant Network Service
Not available because DIRECTV offers local network programming in your area

ABC WRIC-DT Grade A (strong signal) CBS WTVR-DT Grade A (strong signal) FOX WRLH-DT Grade A (strong signal) NBC WWBT-DT Grade A (strong signal)

Eligibility review for the following:

FORT LEE, VA 23801 Standard Distant Network Service
Not available because DIRECTV offers local network programming in your area

Digital (HD) Distant Network Service
Network Affiliate Status ABC WVEC-DT Grade B (moderate signal) WRIC-DT Grade A (strong signal) CBS WTKR-DT Grade B (moderate signal) WTVR-DT Grade A (strong signal) FOX WVBT-DT Grade B (moderate signal) WRLH-DT Grade A (strong signal) NBC WWBT-DT Grade A (strong signal) WAVY-DT Grade B (moderate signal)

ELIGIBILITY EXPLANATION
On the left, you’ll find whether you are eligible for DNS (Distant Network Service). If there are networks that list your status as eligible, you will be able to receive those networks with DNS.

If there are affiliates listed on the left with a status of Grade A or Grade B, you will need a waiver from the listed affiliate(s) before we can offer you that network. AFFILIATES RARELY GRANT A WAIVER FOR GRADE A SIGNALS. Much of the time, waiver requests for Grade B signals are not granted by affiliates either.

CURRENT CUSTOMERS
If you currently have DIRECTV® service, and are eligible for DNS and want to add this service to your programming package, call 1-800-531-5000. When you call, you’ll also find out how to apply for a waiver. If eligible, a cost of $1.50 per month for each DNS channel will be added to your current programming package.

NEW CUSTOMERS
If you are interested in getting DIRECTV® service, it’s easy to order online! After you install your DIRECTV® System, you can call the phone number above to add DNS service to your programming selections.

Under the Satellite Home Viewers Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA) DIRECTV is permitted to transmit up to two analog feeds or one digital (HD) feed of LA or NY TV station network signals “for private home viewing” to “persons who reside in unserved households,” if they live in a market where DIRECTV does not provide local network programming. “Private home viewing” is defined as “viewing, for private use in a household by means of satellite reception equipment which is operated by an individual in that household and which serves only that household.” An “unserved household” is defined in the statute as one that receives less than a Grade B signal from their local TV stations. SHVERA requires that we use the Individual Location Longley-Rice (“ILLR”) model to determine whether a customer resides in an unserved household. If you are predicted to receive a Grade B or better signal, you may still request waivers from your local stations. However, past history has shown that the majority of these waiver requests are not granted. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc.

Last edited:
You can try to get them to turn them on.
You gave up on the D.C. locals?

I was willing, but the wife didn't want to give up the Richmond locals even in SD.

I live close enough that I SHOULD get a strong enough signal, but don't due to the many, many trees and sloping hills that surround my house.

I'm in Farmville, VA and our area is served by the richmond area locals but we can only get SD locals.

Our D* dealer said that we should be able to get the locals in HD by January... is this true?

We dont want to give up the Richmond locals, but want them in HD, badly... does anybody have any info on this area?

Thanks in advance

I'm in Farmville, VA and our area is served by the richmond area locals but we can only get SD locals.

Our D* dealer said that we should be able to get the locals in HD by January... is this true?

We dont want to give up the Richmond locals, but want them in HD, badly... does anybody have any info on this area?

Thanks in advance

January No way, maybe after march.

Thanks in advance

You could qualify for distants in Farmville. I know a few people receive FOX and ABC who live in Rice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)