How Do You Rename A Satellite On AZbox Premium Plus?

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
When scanning in Satellites I accidentally scanned in AMC 10 /135.0W twice thinking on the second scan that it was Galaxy 12 /133.0W. Now when I go to scan in the actual Galaxy 12 /133.0W is there a way to rename it? Guess I could delete the second 135.0W satellite but a bunch of new channels came in that I didn't have a month ago. Does anyone know how to fix this as there is nothing in the Onsat Manual on how to rename a satellite with the Remote Control?

This renaming a Satellite was real easy to do with the Remote Control in Antenna Setup on my old Viewsat Receiver, but so far I can't find any info on how to do it in AZbox without getting into a detailed Satellite Listing. Any help would be very much appreciated.

When scanning in Satellites I accidentally scanned in AMC 10 /135.0W twice thinking on the second scan that it was Galaxy 12 /133.0W. Now when I go to scan in the actual Galaxy 12 /133.0W is there a way to rename it? Guess I could delete the second 135.0W satellite but a bunch of new channels came in that I didn't have a month ago. Does anyone know how to fix this as there is nothing in the Onsat Manual on how to rename a satellite with the Remote Control?

This renaming a Satellite was real easy to do with the Remote Control in Antenna Setup on my old Viewsat Receiver, but so far I can't find any info on how to do it in AZbox without getting into a detailed Satellite Listing. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jsattv,

Don't even bother looking for a method to do this with the REMOTE at this time. There currently is not a way to do what you desire with the remote beyond deleting the sat and starting over. Read the A-Z Guide published by Stargaze and found in the stickies. Follow it through in a non-rush manner (i.e. don't just skim the material within). You must get acquainted with the support programs and editors that are discussed. Everything you need is contained within. There is a lot of information from myself and Stargaze in there as well a tons of stuff from other AZBox owners from all over the world. It is long, but it is the most excellent source for the information you need. Take a few days and digest it all. It will serve you well.

RADAR

Thanks Radar, I have been through your A-Z Guide many times and downloaded and printed it twice. It is a great guide which required a lot of work from you and Stargaze. I'm not sure what section in A-Z Guide that you are referring to re rename a Satellite unless you are referring to Pages 16, 17, & 18 in Version 2. (I see there is a Version 3 now). I've had two problems trying to locate "Toolbox Azbox HD 1.2" for the 3 programs needed to incorporate a new Sat List in AZbox:

1) Last time I looked for "Toolbox Azbox HD 1.2" the Internet Site wanted payment for these programs which I feel is highly unfair.

2) One of our Sponsors has stated that having these Programs (think it was ACC) is illegal which I still do not understand? I have however been able to find Maz 3 and have it on my computer desktop.

I currently have 36 Satellites Scanned in my AZbox and deleting every Satellite except 1 re page 18 and using AZbox Edit to incorporate a new Satellite List would be an enormous amount of work when it comes to re Blind Scanning in these 36 Satellites.

It's hard to believe that a less than $100.00 Viewsat Receiver would have Add Satellite, Delete Satellite, and Rename Satellite all easily done by the Remote Control while a $500.00 AZbox Receiver would not have this available. If I've missed something please advise.

1) Last time I looked for "Toolbox Azbox HD 1.2" the Internet Site wanted payment for these programs which I feel is highly unfair.

2) One of our Sponsors has stated that having these Programs (think it was ACC) is illegal which I still do not understand? I have however been able to find Maz 3 and have it on my computer desktop.

There are several things to be addressed here.
1) The guide is updated when time permits so always check for the latest one. Use either version 3.2.11 or 3.3.11. I did update the guide at the beginning of March and the version number is now the date when it was last updated.
2) If you have the last version there is a page with some links in there so people can download the tools needed to perform the tasks. Maz, ACC, FileZilla and several other tool programs are all uploaded to a site I created so that people could safely download a good copy of some of the tools since at one point in time others complained of sites having problems with what was up at other sites.
3) Anyone who tells you it is not legal to have these programs is speaking out their tail bone and they have no basis for that claim! The only things I can think of is that they want you to suck off of them so you never learn for yourself!
4) I've stated before several times, that in case people had a problem and did not want to spend hours getting the receiver back up that there is also a complete N/A Satellite/Channel list up on the site where they could download the zipped file to their pc, unzip it and send it using the ACC program to their Azbox,, reset the DiSEqc settings, and go on in less than 15 minutes to enjoy satellite FTA surfing.
(one more thing... you change the DiSEqc settings after you send the list to your azbox via your remote then use Maz to "re"-download that changed list back to your pc and resend it using the ACC) That way your making sure your changes are set in your backup directory as well.

What you will not find at my site is the Azbox Toolbox HD program since it is a large program in file size, however the standalone ACC program is there which will get you through.

When it came to deleting Satellites people had all kinds of problems and I spent weeks trying to figure out a way to get it done so as to never have another problem again. I came up with how to North Americanize your Azbox, which is a lengthy step by step procedure that I wrote while I was actually performing each step, (another task I never want to do again).
Some did not like that it was easier, but it is what it is, there is no "easy way" around it. These receivers were never intended for the North American Market, we were an afterthought, so with that in mind we figure out ways to make the receiver work for us.
Also each of our satellite setup's are a bit different so you need to take that into consideration. When I needed someone to help test things out Radar was there yet his setup was very different from my own but we still managed to figure things out to make life easier for those coming down the line. When I was working on my Satellite /channel list Radar and I went round and round on the different programs. He like one whereas I used another, what I found was that no one program did it all but that did not deter me. My biggest thing was to put things down in writing without all the tech jargon so everyone would understand it.

With this in mind, one thing to remember is to not get frustrated as this is a hobby.

Radar is correct on not being able to edit a satellite name!this is weird!My other three receivers which are alot cheaper than the azbox can do it though.I just delete a name and re enter it if needed!So far i havent had any need for the programs listed in the A-Z guide.

I also found that you couldn't rename a satellite and I could do that on the $20 Pansat 3500 I have. For me, on the AZBox it is just a matter of deleting that sat and then creating it again with the name I want. If those channels were there on this recent scan, then logic would tell you that you could scan them back in again, which I've done dozens of times in the past. Only thing lost will be the 5 minutes it takes to do the rescan.

I tried a couple of times early on to use Maz to no avail. After using an editor with my Pansat the Maz program was really confusing and I had problems with it each time I tried, ie, AZ didn't seem to like it. So after I connected a keyboard to my AZ I sat down one day and "Americanized" my own and made a backup copy in case I had to do a reset. Now I only have satellites from 177w to 30w in my AZs and I initially started out with only ONE TP in those. Now each time I change something in either of my AZs I just use Filezilla and place a backup copy of the files on DISK2 that are associated with the sat/channel list on my computer hard drive and put the date and firmware number as a name for that folder so I know which is which.

As others mentioned, patience is the key. Take your time and you'll learn the do's and don'ts of these receivers. Oh, and did I mention that I have two of them? ;-) And yes, I can swap channel lists back and forth between the two and they work fine as long as both boxes are on the same firmware!

As others mentioned, patience is the key. Take your time and you'll learn the do's and don'ts of these receivers. Oh, and did I mention that I have two of them? ;-) And yes, I can swap channel lists back and forth between the two and they work fine as long as both boxes are on the same firmware!

I swap satellite/channel list back and forth from Ultra, Premium Premium Plus receivers all the time and each one has a different firmware number. It really does not matter which firmware your using IMO from the experience I have had.
Of course some of these receivers have a mind of their own so YMMV applies to the Azbox.

All the editor programs and the tools used with the Azbox were made by individuals in Europe who were not associated with Opensat who made these receivers. Early editions of Maz did not work for everyone on their PC system but for others they worked fine.
The latest version of Maz seems to have corrected the main problems people had early on and it is quite a useful tool to have around.
Pity that N.A lost those who could have developed a FTA box for the needs over here but now we have to rely on the Europeans and other markets who have developed them and then fit them in to our specific needs and wants.

2) One of our Sponsors has stated that having these Programs (think it was ACC) is illegal which I still do not understand?

This statement really hit a nerve in me for some reason.
I'd love to know who told you this.
That statement you were told is an outright lie!

Unless otherwise noted: All the editors and tool programs used with the Azbox are distributed freely, without charge, with the blessings of the creators of the programs.

Jsattv,

I was going to write a step-by-step for this, so I was stepping through the process personally and found that there is a problem.

The general procedure would be to FTP the three files (all_channel.dat, antenna_list.dat and DVBS.dat) from the AZBox to the PC using the ACC program.

Then, open these files using AZBoxEdit program and highlight the satellite and change the sat's name and save the files.

Then, send these files back to the AZBox and Voila!

BUT! I found that this procedure is no longer working quite right. It is only changing the sat name when you pull up the satellite in the SETTINGS menu (like to scan the sat). When you are in the TV MODE and browsing the satellites and channels, the name is not getting changed here.

I have worked on this for a few hours and have not resolved this issue yet. I will have to contact OpenSat support forum for ideas and assistance. It may be something that has been changed in the firmware image file.

I can only suggest that, at this time, you merely delete the one sat that you want to edit the name of and then re-add it with the proper name (or how you want it to be shown). Or just put up with the error for the time being.

I will do my best to find some answers, but it may be out of our hands.

RADAR

This statement really hit a nerve in me for some reason.
I'd love to know who told you this.
That statement you were told is an outright lie!

Unless otherwise noted: All the editors and tool programs used with the Azbox are distributed freely, without charge, with the blessings of the creators of the programs.

Thanks Stargaze I agree with you - I do NOT want to diss one of our Valuable Sponsers. But I can do a search & find that Post if you wish, and maybe PM it to you. It very much surprised me as well. I need to read your posts in more detail. Thanks to you and Radar for your help, I will need to search for ACC again - on a free Site where they are not asking for money for these 3 Downloads.

Thanks Stargaze I agree with you - I do NOT want to diss one of our Valuable Sponsers. But I can do a search & find that Post if you wish, and maybe PM it to you. It very much surprised me as well. I need to read your posts in more detail. Thanks to you and Radar for your help, I will need to search for ACC again - on a free Site where they are not asking for money for these 3 Downloads.

Jsattv,

Certainly, none of the editor programs are illegal to posess, not in any country. The report you obtained was just mistaken. Maybe they confused one of the programs for something else. Just an honest mistake and I would not make a big deal about it. There is one program that may be called to question, PuTTY. But it would only be deemed illegal in countries like China, North Korea or possibly Cuba. It is legal in the rest of the free world.

Remember that you do not need to search for a resource to obtain the necessary programs. Stargaze has made them available (FREE) if you follow the link in the A-Z Guide. Do not ever PAY for these programs, they are freeware, they always have been free. If a site is trying to charge you to download them, run like hell! They are just trying to capitalize on the unknowing and the impatient. It's akin to selling you a bottle of air!

RADAR

Last edited:
Jsattv;

Here you go:

Link for ToolBox HD ver 1.2

RapidShare AG, Cham, Switzerland

This file has the following:
Toolbox AzBox HD 1.2
(inside this Toolbox are the following programs)

* Azbox HD Remote Control
* AzBox Control Center < this is the ACC program ***
* AzBox HD Skin Uploader
* Maz Manager For Azbox
* AzBox Edit
* Tune AzBox
* Pix2 AzBox
* AzBox iRadio

When you first open it up the language is in Italian don’t let this scare you off.
If you see the word that looks like Avanti that means ahead or next.
This is when you start to set it up in your pc.
After you open up the program the ACC will be in Italian until you change the flag to the British one.
Same for Maz, change the language right off when it opens up.
Actually the maz is an older version so let it update for you first then open it up.
Tune Azbox also needs the language changed to the British flag for English language.

I just downloaded this file & tested it out on a older computer here and it works fine! The file size downloaded was 39.0 mb.

Jsattv;

Here you go:

Toolbox AzBox HD 1.2

* AzBox HD Skin Uploader
* Maz Manager For Azbox
* AzBox Edit
* Tune AzBox
* Pix2 AzBox
* AzBox iRadio

When you first open it up the language is in Italian don’t let this scare you off.
After you open up the program the ACC will be in Italian until you change the flag to the British one.
Actually the maz is an older version so let it update for you first then open it up.
Tune Azbox also needs the language changed to the British flag for English language.

I just downloaded this file & tested it out on a older computer here and it works fine! The file size downloaded was 39.0 mb.

Thanks very much Stargaze I will Download it, I very much appreciate your help.

Jsattv,
I can only suggest that, at this time, you merely delete the one sat that you want to edit the name of and then re-add it with the proper name (or how you want it to be shown). Or just put up with the error for the time being.

RADAR

I certainly agree with Radar. I've yet to venture into FTP-land with my Premium Plus. Until I get a handle on it, it's certainly easier and less time-consuming to do a delete and start over again than it is to sort through all the FTP stuff.

Just move the dish to the right location, delete the satellite, create a new one with the name you want to use, and then do a blind scan. All of this should take about 10 minutes.

I certainly agree with Radar. I've yet to venture into FTP-land with my Premium Plus. Until I get a handle on it, it's certainly easier and less time-consuming to do a delete and start over again than it is to sort through all the FTP stuff.

Just move the dish to the right location, delete the satellite, create a new one with the name you want to use, and then do a blind scan. All of this should take about 10 minutes.

Actually your not correct in that.
Once you have the proper tools is takes a minute or two to do the job that using the remote takes much longer plus you will run the risk of your back-up files re-appearing on you messing more up than you know.
Knowledge is the key with this receiver.
We all began knowing little to nothing at first but you tend to learn real fast if you want the receiver to perform the way you want it to.

Jsattv;

Here you go:

Toolbox AzBox HD 1.2

* AzBox HD Skin Uploader
* Maz Manager For Azbox
* AzBox Edit
* Tune AzBox
* Pix2 AzBox
* AzBox iRadio

Stargaze ACC ver 1.1 shows an American Stars & Stripes Flag when you click on English - Not a British Flag, but I assume this is okay? Thanks for the great info, I see there is Maz Manager - which I believe I have, and AzBox Edit there as well.

Stargaze ACC ver 1.1 shows an American Stars & Stripes Flag when you click on English - Not a British Flag, but I assume this is okay? Thanks for the great info, I see there is Maz Manager - which I believe I have, and AzBox Edit there as well.

Good you got it now!

You have been searching for it for a long while, sorry I missed that post you made back in November asking for it but I hope it was worth the long wait.

British Flag/ Stars & Strips all is good!
I purposely try out different ones just to see if I can understand some different languages. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)