how do you set up wifi on Edision OS Mio?

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
I'm trying to set up my new Edision and I can't find ANYTHING in the menu to enable wifi! The setup wizard green-screened when trying to connect to a network, but it never even said anything about connecting to a wifi network so I'm assuming it was only looking at the ethernet port, which isn't connected to anything. So after I rebooted, I skipped the wizard and tried to set it up manually, but under settings/system/expert/network I only see anything about turning the "adapter" on or off and setting dhcp or manual configuration, nothing about scanning or even manually inputting a wifi network!

Now I'm starting to have serious concerns about my receiver. I've rebooted by pulling the power and I still see no indications anywhere that it has functioning wifi. Also, after scanning a few satellites, the blind scan seems to be having issues. It works OK on some satellites, but won't find anything on other satellites. It's not a signal strength issue -- one of the things it doesn't find is the CCTV mux on 95W Ku, which is about the strongest signal in the sky for me! It's not a dish, motor, LNB, or wiring issue, because a manual transponder scan works. Also, I've noticed that the blind scan doesn't wait for the motor to finish a long move before starting the scan. Manual scan does.

Setup->System->Expert settings->Network->WLAN connection comes up on my screen. It's possible that there's a missing plugin.

It's definitely missing something. I would try a fresh TNAP 4.0 multiboot image in another empty slot for comparison.
I don't even see any mention of wifi hardware in the kernel boot log.

I'm thinking about trying another image too, I don't know whether I'll try TNAP or something else though -- after playing with TNAP for a while, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be doing for North American users that any other version of Enigma isn't. It defaults to NTSC and has an American satellite list, but other than that it looks entirely like any Enigma I've ever seen.

It won't show the wifi in dmesg or syslog or ifconfig because you don't have it setup. So, the driver doesn't get loaded. I use an ethernet connection but my wifi does work when I last tested it.

TNAP is customized for North America. One of the things it allows is scanning in H&I and Decades using "NO-T2MI". Otherwise you get one or the other but not both.

I flashed my Mio with the TNAP 4 image from LegitFTA and the wifi interface is now recognized. I still had trouble getting it to connect until on a whim I set the encryption type to "WPA or WPA2" -- my router is set to WPA2, so I have no idea why it wouldn't connect when I set it to just WPA2. I ran out of time to play with it before I could try updating the OS -- hopefully doing the updates that Brian had done before sending it out doesn't break wifi again :(

Regarding the scanning issues I was having -- it's raining today, so it's hard to tell if it's still missing transponders for some unexplained reason. It's finding more than it did yesterday, but still not finding some that lock when I do a manual scan.

Regarding the scanning issues I was having -- it's raining today, so it's hard to tell if it's still missing transponders for some unexplained reason. It's finding more than it did yesterday, but still not finding some that lock when I do a manual scan.
Are you scanning for ALL, or just FTA channels? Always scan for ALL. In other words, don't use "only FREE scan".

Are you scanning for ALL, or just FTA channels? Always scan for ALL. In other words, don't use "only FREE scan".
Why, what's the problem with "only free"? It scans for all transponders first before checking them for channels.

Only the default TNAP "No T2Mi" images enable 1MHz separation transponder logging. Also, I have yet to find another image that logs and retains the 4MHZ 101w transponders. The latest image includes the latest "no T2Mi" driver is now over on LegitFTA. Nice to have someone on this side of the pond keep the images up to date for the NA hobbyists and plug-in updates compatibility.

Well, the wifi is gone again. I don't know when it happened, as I haven't used it for a while. It was working a few weeks ago when I did an online update of TNAP, but I don't know if it disappeared as a result of that. Somehow I need to figure out whether this is a software problem or a hardware problem, but I haven't had time to work on it.

Well, the wifi is gone again. I don't know when it happened, as I haven't used it for a while. It was working a few weeks ago when I did an online update of TNAP, but I don't know if it disappeared as a result of that. Somehow I need to figure out whether this is a software problem or a hardware problem, but I haven't had time to work on it.
EB answered you on your thread at Legit.