How does Joey gets Authorization hit? Ok to bring it to another house' Hopper?

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
I'm curious how does the Joey receives the Authorization hit and/or software update since it has no satellite receiver built in?

If I only have Ethernet connection without the coaxial cable, would it receive the 'hit'?

Also, if I were to bring the Joey to a buddy's place with Hopper, would I be able to watch the program on his Hopper?

Its gets its authorization from the Hopper its connected to. So hooking a Joey to your buddys Hopper will just have it sit there and do nothing.

And last I checked, yes direct Ethernet connection can take place of coax cable as long as both the hopper and Joey are connected to your network. However this is not supported at all. And this functionality may have even been removed, have not tested in a while.

If you have a portable power source, ie. computer battery, you could connect Joey via coax to get it playing, hook it up with a wifi adapter and unhooking the coax cable. It will take it about 10-15 seconds to reestablish connection. You now have a wireless receiver you can put anywhere in range of your network.

Ethernet still works, as does wireless ;) . Highly doubt it'll be removed. Don't even have to hook up coax at all.

Ethernet still works, as does wireless ;) . Highly doubt it'll be removed. Don't even have to hook up coax at all.

But, and this point has been made before, there is no guarantee that it will remain functional... and given that it is an unsupported mode of connection they aren't going to give you much help if it breaks.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)