How far apart to plant BUDs???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
Is there a general rule or guide on how far apart to place BUDs??? I have a 10 foot BUD and I heard that you have to plant more than one to bear more fruit! I want to add another 10 foot and/or possibly a 7.5 foot to my farm and want to avoid having to replant them if they interfere with each other. I do have a wide treeless area about 250' to the east and 250' to the west. My poles (used) that I have available are pretty much the same height.
Any suggestions???...

The BUDs can not be spread all across the back forty!!! It must meet spouse guidelines!

if it was me and space was limited to spouse approval then i would set the smaller dish up front and depending on dish size at 5-6ft off the ground then set the second dish at a 45 degree angle behind the first about 12 ft away and use a pole that places it 2-3 ft taller than the first (dish) post. if you add a third dish use the same method just other side.

THANKS!
That planting guide makes alot of sense! I did run out and check... My 10' is mounted on a taller pole than what I have for the next one! The rest of my poles are all the same. A local does have a BUD that they want to get rid of but the pole must be 15' off of the ground. It would be a great pole to add to the planting even if I cut it shorter. (It is one tall pole!!!) However, I can not figure out how to get the 7' (?) BUD down without hurting it! Oh - Yeh! - OR hurting myself or my helper!!!

if you remove the pole by cutting most of the way through ( a little over 1/2 way) the pole with a sawsall you can let the weight of the dish bend the part of the pole you didn't cut allowing you to lower it safely. if theres a branch or tree close you can throw / tie a rope to it & the dish to ensure it doesn't fall to fast.

THANKS!
That planting guide makes alot of sense! I did run out and check... My 10' is mounted on a taller pole than what I have for the next one! The rest of my poles are all the same. A local does have a BUD that they want to get rid of but the pole must be 15' off of the ground. It would be a great pole to add to the planting even if I cut it shorter. (It is one tall pole!!!) However, I can not figure out how to get the 7' (?) BUD down without hurting it! Oh - Yeh! - OR hurting myself or my helper!!!

The easy way is to make some X frames out of wood or even use a GOOD folding ladder to use as supports and then cut the pole "Halfway" threw, low to ground and then let it bend over and use the braces to support it on the way down. Then you can man handle is to the ground or if low enough take the dish off the mount. This is what I've had to do on one dish.

I will check the site out! I am not sure yet if the trees are right for the job until I check closer. I hope there is enough room to drop it in a clearing safely - the area is overgrown. What is wrong with people that they let their BUDs get overgrown! (Even if they quit using it!!!) It would sure make salvaging these things alot easier and improve their yards too! I am eyeing up another tall one at a restaurant up town and the buildings are close together. I better not think about that one too much! I have other BUDs that are easier and closer to home to get!!!!

distance

I have dishes on the lower half of the farm and here in southern ohio there is not much flat land out of 90 acres have around 22 that is rather flat the rest are hills

I have a 12 foot janiel on the top of the hill by the house then about 10 feet to the east about 3 feet down the hill from the 12 footer i have a 7.5 perfect 10 in between these about 20 feet on the flat i have my wildblue dish

They do not interfer with each other and when moving the 12 and 7.5 The 12 footer helps with the TI with the 7.5 but doesnt effect the quailty of the 12 footer at all.

It has worked out well for me but again this is hill country the foot hills of the Apalicains

so i do not think it would not work out if these where not set on the hills side

I figure i could keep going down the hill and installing a few more dishes without a problem until i hit the creek and then it would be flooded when it rains

THANKS!
Hello Dishman Dan,
This will help you a lot: Satellite Dish Crane in Action . Maybe you can rig up one like I did. It sure makes the job easy!

Tom

:D

I scoped out the site and there is not enough trees to help me. I think that I would end up in a hospital if I built my own crane! The other options are "sky hooks" or a "jerry rig"! The safe thing I am considering is mooching a mini excavator from my neighbor to lower the BUD safely down. I could also pop out the concrete out if the owner wanted me to do it. On the way home I spotted another BUD about 15' high on a pole! Perhaps I can lower both down on the same trip!!!

on the tall ones around here ( and there aren't many mounted high) i drive my pickup under it and place boards ( two 2 X 12s) across my pickup bed and unbolt the dish, and two people lower to the pickup bed. but the main thing is to be safe.

i have designed a lift/crane for dish removal but have yet to put it together. my other lift i used for a couple of removals isn't tall enough so hence the building a new taller lift/crane

end up in a hospital ??

I scoped out the site and there is not enough trees to help me. I think that I would end up in a hospital if I built my own crane! The other options are "sky hooks" or a "jerry rig"! The safe thing I am considering is mooching a mini excavator from my neighbor to lower the BUD safely down. I could also pop out the concrete out if the owner wanted me to do it. On the way home I spotted another BUD about 15' high on a pole! Perhaps I can lower both down on the same trip!!!

Well Dan you could always go to a welding shop an have one made for you, It sure makes the job easier and if you find yourself becoming a collector of Big Dishes for a Dish Farm it pays for itself. Just a thought!
Tom
:D

Thanks for the replies! Our ground around here is flat like a pancake so a nice rolling meadows dish farm will never happen. (Pennsyvania is flat close to Lake Erie) It would sure make things easier and nicer to have a hill or two! The area with the two high mounted BUDs is just south of me and it is a big valley and so the BUDs have to be mounted high to clear the trees on the hills. As for getting a crane built - the guy with the mini excavator is a metal fabricator too and it would be easy for him to build. He is real busy now and I think he would rather let me mooch the machine! He also offered to go get them with me in a week or two when he gets some free time and if I can wait. The low mounted BUDs I have to pick up are no problem to move without any real challenges or safety concerns. I am in need of a Dish Barn on my Dish Farm to store my stuff that I cannot use right away!

The planks across the pickup bed would of worked/will work well on some lower BUDs! I am out to save all I can because the scrappers are closing in! I thought of another way to lower the tall poles maybe instead of using the excavator. Harbor Tool and Northern Tool both have little cranes that mount in the back of a pickup truck. There are different quality ones and some go higher than others. If I get one that goes about 7' up (plus the height of the truck [my nephew has a monster truck that finally would be good for something!]) it might be high enough to steady the pole and BUD when I cut into the pipe like was suggested by gabshere. If the crane was used just for a anchor along with some rope and a pulley or a winch...just maybe!?!?!? I also found out that I have small feet! I was estimating one setup to be a 12 - 15 feet pole but I think it is closer to 20 feet!!!

The planks across the pickup bed would of worked/will work well on some lower BUDs! I am out to save all I can because the scrappers are closing in! I thought of another way to lower the tall poles maybe instead of using the excavator. Harbor Tool and Northern Tool both have little cranes that mount in the back of a pickup truck. There are different quality ones and some go higher than others. If I get one that goes about 7' up (plus the height of the truck [my nephew has a monster truck that finally would be good for something!]) it might be high enough to steady the pole and BUD when I cut into the pipe like was suggested by gabshere. If the crane was used just for a anchor along with some rope and a pulley or a winch...just maybe!?!?!? I also found out that I have small feet! I was estimating one setup to be a 12 - 15 feet pole but I think it is closer to 20 feet!!!
Yeah and they cost 450 + $ . Putting the dish crane on the pole would be just as simple as to trying to get your pickup under the dish enough to get it. Did you see the thread on Dish Cranes? What you are talking about I don't believe wil go up to 20 feet. Just trying to help, but feel you're not getting it??
Tom

Yeah I saw the Dish Crane and it would work well!!! I was thinking of using the pickup crane to help lower a BUD and pole together as one unit. I do not think that I would have to go real high up to help ease them down low enough to take the BUD off. A crane that would go 7' high would reach a good 10+ feet on my pickup. If I was taking down a BUD with a 12 to 15 foot pole I think that might be high enough?!?!?!? If I cut the pole part way through like what was suggested earlier, it would be like guiding a tree but I can go slower and stop it when I need to. The crane would be just a fixture to place the pulley for the cable to lower the unit (BUD/pole) while cranking or running the winch down. Do you think that would work???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)