How far can I "move" my service?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swarley

Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
I live about 20 miles east of Erie, Pa and cannot receive locals. I've heard I can "move" my service to another location to receive locals. How far can I move. For instance, can I move to Green Bay, WI and receive those locals? Can someone help explain how to do this. I'm extremely disappointed that Directv has yet to offer me any locals and my local stations won't approve my waiver request.

What is your actual service zip code?

Here is the Erie DMA map and I thought DirecTV had Erie LiL? You must be just outside the zip range or I guess they never added Erie yet? I would think you could get the Pittsburgh, Buffalo or maybe even the Cleveland DMA. I bet they all overlap some.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 256
most locals are on spotbeam so unless you are talking about a neighboring DMA you can't "move" that far away

so here in Minneapolis my options are
Mpls
Duluth, MN
Rochester, MN
maybe Lacrosse, WI
Everything else I am outside of the spotbeam

Does Directv still offer distants for "white areas". I know Chuckie lost that but does D* still have it?

Thanks. So the distants are conus? I am sick of moving everytime E* switches to spots. (And sorry for the semi-hijack)

Yes, the NYC and LA SD and HD DNS channels (ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC) are on CONUS at either 99 or 103.

My zip is 16438...where should I "move" to to get HD locals?

What is your actual service zip code?

Here is the Erie DMA map and I thought DirecTV had Erie LiL? You must be just outside the zip range or I guess they never added Erie yet? I would think you could get the Pittsburgh, Buffalo or maybe even the Cleveland DMA. I bet they all overlap some.

Well I don't know the area but looking at the DMA map at taking that you are 20 miles East of Erie; I would assume you would shoot for changing your service zip code to something in the Chautauqua County, NY area that pulls up in the DirecTV HD-LiL zip code search. And maybe via a friend or business address where you might actually know someone. Maybe the Buffalo DMA spot is that big; you may have to try and see which works or ask around.

Say like Silver Creek, NY 14136

OR

For Cleveland HD-LiL try 44030 out of Conneaut, OH (may even be better)

Well I don't know the area but looking at the DMA map at taking that you are 20 miles East of Erie; I would assume you would shoot for changing your service zip code to something in the Chautauqua County, NY area that pulls up in the DirecTV HD-LiL zip code search. And maybe via a friend or business address where you might actually know someone. Maybe the Buffalo DMA spot is that big; you may have to try and see which works or ask around.

and that would get me Buffalo sations? can I get cleveland instead?

Ok, so I get this straigt. I call DTV tell them I have moved my service to and fake address in conneaut, oh, that's it....keep my billing address the same and I don't have to do anything further? I don't have to change anything on my box?

OR

For Cleveland HD-LiL try 44030 out of Conneaut, OH (may even be better)

How and what you actually tell DirecTV about your service address change sounds about right; but I would get a 2nd opinion from a user that has done it very recently to be sure.

You will not have to make any hardware or system changes on your end. At best you may have do perform a reset of the receiver to flush & repopulate the EPG correctly.

Ok, so has anyone done this recently that can tell me exactly what I need to say to have this done smoothly. I appreciate all the help.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ok, i called and told them i wanted to move service and they said it was fine but they would send me a new dish and have it installed for free....how do I get out of doing that?

You are not MOVING and you do NOT EVER tell them about the "cheat" (aka what we call "moving") just say you need to change your service address.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)