How fast is your Comcast HSI

NYRANGERS

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Manahawkin, NJ
I am sorry but I have no cluewhat this 16/1 that everyone talks about I just want to know wat is the speed that your computer says they internet is coming in as? Mine says 100 Mbps and I never realized how slow it seems until I got home from school. At school we have 1,000 Mbps in our dorm rooms. I was just wondering what else does everyone have?

Standard service is 6Mbps/768kbps for $43 (with TV) and upgraded speed is 16Mbps/1Mbps for $53 (with TV).

They are comparible to the same level of Verizon Fios (5/2 and 15/2).

-John

stone phillips420 said:
16down 1up
16 megabyte per second down and 1 megabyte per second up
in my area im pretty sure its capped at 8mbs down ands 750kbs up

That should be 16 MegaBITS per second down and 1 MegaBIT per second up.

Take your speeds and devide by 8 to get your MegaBYTE per second rate.

Mine says 100 Mbps and I never realized how slow it seems until I got home from school. At school we have 1,000 Mbps in our dorm rooms.

You have Gig E in your dorms!!
Where do you go to school!!
You would need a fiber connection for that are you using cat5 or fiber with a special card in your PC?

rcbridge said:
You have Gig E in your dorms!!
Where do you go to school!!
You would need a fiber connection for that are you using cat5 or fiber with a special card in your PC?

1,000Mbps comes up in that bubble on the desktop. I go to Seton Hall University in South Orange, New Jersey. Not a lot of people know about us unless you follow college basketball. Its one of the best wired schools in the nation. We have campus wide wireless and every student gets an IBM ThinkPad laptop. Thats the one great thing the school has is the technology aspect.

not true speed

Comcast might claim 6 megs, but that is far from your actual speed. I'm lucky if I ever reach 3. You need to run a speed test. I have ight that do measure speed but each one gives a different answer so don't know who is legit.

Ron

ronfelder said:
Comcast might claim 6 megs, but that is far from your actual speed. I'm lucky if I ever reach 3. You need to run a speed test. I have ight that do measure speed but each one gives a different answer so don't know who is legit.

Ron

I have found the rates to be accurate depending on your home network configuration. The machine directly tied to the router gets a full 6Mbps. Others running through the wireless don't get quite that hight (3-5Mbps).

I have found the following sights to do a good job testing line speeds.

http://www.pcpitstop.com
http://www.dslreports.com (look under tools to find the speed test link)

Using DSLReports, you can get a comparison of others in your same zip code after you preform the test.

berck said:
I have found the rates to be accurate depending on your home network configuration. The machine directly tied to the router gets a full 6Mbps. Others running through the wireless don't get quite that hight (3-5Mbps).

I have found the following sights to do a good job testing line speeds.

http://www.pcpitstop.com
http://www.dslreports.com (look under tools to find the speed test link)

Using DSLReports, you can get a comparison of others in your same zip code after you preform the test.

I'm directly connected without a router and just shy of 3 megs with the test sites I use. One of which is on cnet.com. I reached 2.4 megs on pcpitstop. I don't know of anyone who makes it to 3 megs and were all on Comcast. Don't know where you live to get that magical 3 megs ,but it isn't in the Philly area for sure. Actually after doing test again moments ago i'm lucky if I make it to 2 megs. Remember Comcast says "up to 6 megs". So any speed is a legit speed that they are offering.

Ron

Last edited:
NYRANGERS said:
1,000Mbps comes up in that bubble on the desktop. I go to Seton Hall University in South Orange, New Jersey. Not a lot of people know about us unless you follow college basketball. Its one of the best wired schools in the nation. We have campus wide wireless and every student gets an IBM ThinkPad laptop. Thats the one great thing the school has is the technology aspect.

The network card is a Gigabit card but not your Internet connection. You will need to run speed test to see how fast it is. I'm pretty sure it's fast but not 1,000 Mbps like you're stating.

ronfelder said:
I'm directly connected without a router and just shy of 3 megs with the test sites I use. One of which is on cnet.com. I reached 2.4 megs on pcpitstop. I don't know of anyone who makes it to 3 megs and were all on Comcast. Don't know where you live to get that magical 3 megs ,but it isn't in the Philly area for sure. Actually after doing test again moments ago i'm lucky if I make it to 2 megs. Remember Comcast says "up to 6 megs". So any speed is a legit speed that they are offering.

Ron

Yes, it does say up to 6Mbps, but I get very close to that many times. I can only suspect that you have a lot of people with cable modems in your neighborhood. When I first got a cable modem back seven years ago, I had three other neighbors with them as well. My speeds seemed to lag quite a bit. Within a six month time frame, they all moved. Coincidentally, my speed increased. It was really noticeable.

Even when two of my kids are doing on-line gaming, I've tested my network and got anywhere from 2Mbps to 4Mbps in speed.

berck said:
Yes, it does say up to 6Mbps, but I get very close to that many times. I can only suspect that you have a lot of people with cable modems in your neighborhood. When I first got a cable modem back seven years ago, I had three other neighbors with them as well. My speeds seemed to lag quite a bit. Within a six month time frame, they all moved. Coincidentally, my speed increased. It was really noticeable.

Even when two of my kids are doing on-line gaming, I've tested my network and got anywhere from 2Mbps to 4Mbps in speed.

Well you mudst live where there arent' many people. Around here Comcast pushes the product and therefor lots of people are signing up. The more that sign up the slower it'll get. It's getting slow too. If you test using cnet you don't even reach 2 megs. If i could i'd switch to dsl. Just as fast and lot cheaper. What i truly want but isn't available is FIOS. Once that comes through it will put a hurting on Comcast and the other cable companies, and in my opinion they deserve the hurting for they are theives imho

Ron

NYRANGERS said:
I used AOL Computer Check-up and it says my connection speed at home is 1.5 Mbps.
hey dummy if you red the previous posts you'll see that is the speed of your nic card, not your internet connection speed.

Ron

ronfelder said:
hey dummy if you red the previous posts you'll see that is the speed of your nic card, not your internet connection speed.

Ron

My card is 1,000 Mcps since thats whats comes up when you plug the cable in but computer check-up says 1.5Mbps.

freeing myself of comcast

Well i'm doing it, by the end of the month i'll no longer have Comcast internet. I'm going with the high speed Verizon DSL. It's just as fast for me as cable but cheaper. Was paying comcast for tv that I don't use do to being with Dish.

Ron

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts