How for west on a 24" actuator do you get?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
After some tree cutting I'm now able to check the far western satellites and with my 24" actuator set just about to the end near the piston! my limit with the west limit adjustment in as much as it will go i can just about hit 131w. Either my true south is aliitle off and i can get aliitle more west or this is my limit!It may not make much difference for me to try further west anyway because of the low elevation but wondering what others are getting on the the far west! I'm located here on the east coast in Ct.Heres a pic of the set up.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 264
i think it maybe better if you asked how much arc/sats do you get from a 24". . .

in my case my dish 'normally' start at 135w and head east up to 37.5w without hittin any of my limits. . .von weise 24"

i would love a 36" jack so i can really get my FULL arc of 1w-135w :D

I'm also in CT and with a 24" actuator, can see from 139W through at least 55W (I'll know for sure once the leaves drop, as this is a new dish on the ground for me and not the roof).

Alot will depend on where you attach the actuator to the mount. On my 10 foot dish, the clamp is about 2-3 inches from the end of the actuator.

Phil

I'm also in CT and with a 24" actuator, can see from 139W through at least 55W (I'll know for sure once the leaves drop, as this is a new dish on the ground for me and not the roof).

Alot will depend on where you attach the actuator to the mount. On my 10 foot dish, the clamp is about 2-3 inches from the end of the actuator.

Phil

Curious!!Seems that since i have same size actuator asnd have it mounted less than 1/2" from the end that i would get to 139 also.When i go east i can go to maybe 30.Are you centered on true south?or do you have it set more west to get to 139.I have seen others here that get to 139 also,does a bigger dish give you more range?or maybe i still need to make an dish adjustment more to the west and hope i dont ruin the arc.

my clamp is also mounted less than 1/2" from the end. . .with my most west sat comin it with a few bumps out from the 4d. . .i really tired to maximize the jack.

I am centered on my due south satellite. I'm not sure if the dish size would play a part in this. First guess would be know. I'm not at home right now but I'll grab a picture in the morning of where my mounting points are. I'm estimating my eastward limit since I haven't been able to see the Atlantic birds due to the trees at this time of year.

I can go from 37.5º-139ºw with my 24" jack on an 8 footer.

For mine to get that range I had to relocate the mount point for the motor (down and out ). I used some 4" brackets (home depot electrical bracket) to do the job.

It looks like on you rig you could extend the mount point on the dish out a few inches and get more rotation.

Attachments

• mod_bottom.jpg
    mod_bottom.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 282
  • mod_east.jpg
    mod_east.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 267
  • mod_top.jpg
    mod_top.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 253
Curious!!Seems that since i have same size actuator asnd have it mounted less than 1/2" from the end that i would get to 139 also.When i go east i can go to maybe 30.Are you centered on true south?or do you have it set more west to get to 139.I have seen others here that get to 139 also,does a bigger dish give you more range?or maybe i still need to make an dish adjustment more to the west and hope i dont ruin the arc.

Looking at your pic, I notice that your actuator pivot point on the ground mount is offset quite a bit to the left. My unimesh dish has a pivot point much closer to the centerline of the polar mount. Im willing to bet most people have mounts similar to mine, which would account for the differance in travel to the west. I have mine set up to reach 135w.

Looking at your pic, I notice that your actuator pivot point on the ground mount is offset quite a bit to the left. My unimesh dish has a pivot point much closer to the centerline of the polar mount. Im willing to bet most people have mounts similar to mine, which would account for the differance in travel to the west. I have mine set up to reach 135w.

Can you snap a pic of your actuator setup so i can get a few ideas?

Stanley, I'd have to look at my my dish and mount. I know when I'm at 139W it's at the very end of the acuator. Not even a 1/4" left. I only get from 72W to 139W because of the trees. To the east though I'd say it will move to probably 45W or so although I can't get anything that far east....Blind

Stanley, I'd have to look at my my dish and mount. I know when I'm at 139W it's at the very end of the acuator. Not even a 1/4" left. I only get from 72W to 139W because of the trees. To the east though I'd say it will move to probably 45W or so although I can't get anything that far east....Blind

Thanks Blind!My true south was off just alittle bit after checking again so i might of gained a few degrees after adjusting.Can the factory presets be changed on the QARL 2436 set points? It now stops with just over an inch showing without any v box set points set!I can gain more west movement if i can bring it in another 3/4" or so.For me though!it may not be worth while because the elevation angle would be to low to pick up.Im just curious!! How low west can you go before no lock on a satellite?

Last edited:
I think your only option left is to try and adjust the actuator in or out slightly in its mounting bracket. You probably wont be able to move it much though. Try a 1/4" to 3/8" each time. I was surprised that I got anything above 135W. There's not much on 137W or 139W if I remember correctly. Yes it looks like my dish is pointing pretty low at that point and pointing thru some trees across the road but it works. Blind

from reading most threads in the past it looks like you should get on average 120 degrees with a 24inch actuator. It also depends on the type of dish and were the actuateor mounted on the dish. I can get from 15W to 139W on a 6 ft Fortec dish. There is not much past 135W, so I alloted more distance to the east limit. Again after 15W there is not much to view within the US.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)