How good does your internet connection need to be to get On Demand?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Annie61

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 14, 2008
Agawam Ma
Hi, I was thinking of upgrading from my HD Receiver to a HD/DVR receiver. I apologize I don't know the model. I just know I wouldn't need the Genie. I have one other tv hooked to an SD Reciver. I can get an upgrade in Feb, because I have the Protection Plan. I now have dsl (slow version less than 1.5). Does the internet connection need to be really good for the new receiver, or does the speed not matter, just that I have internet ? Thanks so much for any help. I would mainly be upgrading so I can watch On Demand.
I can't watch on my computer wayyyy to pokey.
:)

Your connection is really too slow for on demand. You really need 5-6Mb otherwise the download times will be very long, about 5 hours for each hour of programming at 1.5.

i had slow dsl too, anywhere from 700k to 1.5m, SD content took a long time, HD content took FOREVER, i'm talking a day or more for a movie sometimes. i switched to cable internet @ 30mbps so i could use the On demand.

Thanks for the responses! I'll have to look into the cable internet option. Thanks again!

They say 3 Megs, and it will work. You really need atleast a 12 meg connection for it to work good
Around 8Mb will give you the ability to watch in real time as you download. I run around 6Mb and the wait time is very short, perfectly acceptable..

I had 30 with TWC and now have 12 with AT&T and not even SD has the ability to watch as you download. With the 30 Mb, SD VOD was watchable within 15 minutes after DL without interruption. Ironically, Netflix with both is very fast and no noticeable difference.

Oh good thanks for all the answers!! I've been looking at the comcast site and for what I think I need at an introductory 2 year price its around $25.00 I THINK for my dsl (bundled into my phone plan) it's around $30.00 I think I might just do this!!! :) My Protection Plan doesn't come up until Feb so I have a little more "thinking" time. I'm glad I don't have to go for the highest speed, that price was a little bit too much for me. This site is fantastic!!

Oh good thanks for all the answers!! I've been looking at the comcast site and for what I think I need at an introductory 2 year price its around $25.00 I THINK for my dsl (bundled into my phone plan) it's around $30.00 I think I might just do this!!! :) My Protection Plan doesn't come up until Feb so I have a little more "thinking" time. I'm glad I don't have to go for the highest speed, that price was a little bit too much for me. This site is fantastic!!

Yes, some of these Internet prices out there are ridiculous....

Be careful with Comcast bundles and introductory pricing. Looks good at first but may include some surprises. Just make sure you carefully read ALL the fine print - you may get stuck with equipment rental fees, taxes, franchise fees, installation fees, etc. Plus the introductory rate does not always run the length of the contract and the full rate can be quite a shock. I'm not saying not to go with Comcast - in many areas it is the only option for reliable broadband internet - just know for sure what you are getting into.

Status
Please reply by conversation.