how good is the DishPointer App? And how much space should you allow for LOS?

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
This is a two part question...

I just installed the Dishpointer app on my Android (droid X) phone to see if I could get a good line of sight for an EA install on the side of my home.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dishpointer.dparpro

1) how accurate is the App?
2) I have two trees and when in full bloom (its dead of winter so no leaves now) I am thinking there will be about an inch to two inches between the trees bloom and where the dishpointer stated the EA sats are located. The tree's are about 100+ away and my screen size on the phone is 4.3" (I wish the app would take a screen cap, I know you can root the phone and do it but...) And I'd rather not mount a dish on the roof again (back story I had a 5lnb D* setup but a different tree was cutting off the lower birds. And I had the roof just replaced well repaired after the dish was removed. Plus I assume its easier to whack off the snow or re-point if needed if the dish was at waist level on the side of the home.

Not sure my question makes a whole lot of sense :) but if it does I look forward to any answers or advice or suggestions

Its really really close but not perfect.

It will let you see if your going to have an issue or not and do it well. But again its not perfect. :)

Don't forget we are the HOME of the Official DISH Pointer App support forum.

I had it for a good month or so, and i notice it is about 5 degrees off to the left. Be sure to calibrate your phone before you try to use it.

I add an additional 2deg for foliage, won't install unless there is at least 3deg clearance full bloom.

So in the dead of winter, it needs at least 5deg clearance for me to install.

Can't comment on the dish pointer app.

Not being accurate means more work either way.

Either you put it to far out and do more work. Or you put it too close and you have to move it in the summer.

My inclinometer is dead on. I use the app to give me a general site survey. But if I am shooting over a house and want to trench the least amount, def need the inclio. I love it when the customer looks at me and says "it's pointed dead into the house" lol!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)