Status
Please reply by conversation.

WeissMan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Southeast US
Hello Sat Guys,

I have been trying to aim for 74w Horizons 2 for the sports feeds and I get nothing. What I was wondering, is this; if I am at 34.246 Lat / 85.587 Lon (northeast Alabama) how high up in the sky would this sat be. Not the dish setting but actual angle. I am trying to figure out whether my neighbors tree is blocking the signal or maybe I just need more practice.

Another question that I have is regarding satellites and their corresponding transponders. When I blind scan sat G19, I will get stuff from 101W. Is this normal? Does the receiver simply scan for active transponders no matter which sat it is set to scan?

WeissMan

Omegasat DSB5700
WS9036 dish
DMX521 Standard Linear

.....Another question that I have is regarding satellites and their corresponding transponders. When I blind scan sat G19, I will get stuff from 101W. Is this normal? Does the receiver simply scan for active transponders no matter which sat it is set to scan?

Yes.

Your receiver doesn't "know" (or care) what sat you are pointing at, it will scan whatever tps it finds.

If you are "set" to scan G19 @ 97W, and are pointing at 101W, it's going to log the tps on 101W.

200 or 300 feet but if the phisical location of the satellite is at an angle 48.4 degrees above the horizon, then there is no way the tree is interfering. Does this make any sense? Lyngsat shows that the sat is pretty much dedicated to feeds, maybe the transponders were not hot when I was setting up therefore I got nothing?

W

No, I wasn't getting anything on my signal meter so did not attempt a blind scan.

I would attempt to manually scan the tp I listed above.

Is your LNB setting to 10750? If you have any switches inline take them out, and if possible just take your receiver and a tv out to the dish. I've never used a meter, you can't beat having the feedback you can get from a receiver/tv combo, IMO.

Use Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com, enter your address and verify your pointing direction. The elevation scale on your dish should just be considered a starting point, some of those scales can be off 5 degrees or more. Move your dish slowly east and west, you'll find it with some patience.

Send me a PM (private message, right click on my name) if you don't get it , I'm not too far away from you, if you're near the lake.

Audio but no Video

I finally got a chance to try for 74W for the LSU game yesterday and was able to lock in on the sat. but I was only able to receive the audio feeds from the game. The same was true for all of the NCAA feeds. Is this all I should be getting? The signal and quality were very good with Q=72-74. My receiver did not have 74W pre-programmed in so I had to add it manually. Having read that 11733 is a strong TP, I set it to that frequency manually and got an error message saying that that was out of range. If I do a blind scan then it would lock in on the hot TP's but 11733 was not one of them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

WeissMan

Omegasat DSB5700
WS9036 dish
DMX521 Standard Linear

the feed was probably in HD and the receiver you have does not do HD. That is why you had sound only

Follow up question, if I may.

I have a set top box that I bought for OTA HD reception. Can I install this in my existing system or will I need a new receiver to get the HD stuff.

WeissMan

the OTA receiver will only get OTA. You need a HD FTA receiver to get the HD feeds

Pansat 9200
Coolsat 8000/8100
Sonicview 8000
azbox
are examples

DishNet receiver for FTA?

Hi Again,

Now that I have my FTA system up and running, I am thinking about adding a second tv to the system. I have a DN model 4700 receiver that I could use at TV-2 but is it possible to reprogram it for other (FTA) sats?

Thanks,

WM

If you mean Dishnetwork receiver, no they can't be converted for free to air use. It might have been done by some technically-gifted whiz somewhere, but I don't recall hearing of it. Dishnetwork boxes are meant for their own programming. Easier to just buy a dual-output lnbf, and connect a second free to air receiver to the second output. You can also "slave" a second receiver to the first one, but only one will be able to control a dish motor, and limited to the same satellite as the master receiver.

Yes,

It is a Dish Network receiver that was sitting in the attic. I was hoping to avoid buying another receiver but maybe this is a good excuse to buy one with HD.

Thanks,

WM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jaeger SMR-1224 EL Group Buy?

NHK @ 58W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)