NHK @ 58W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

toucan-man

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Wisconsin
Can anyone suggest the minimum size dish to reliably get NHK World at 58W? Yes, I know some say mini-BUD, but I need day in day out reliability, can a mini BUD devoted to NHK do that?

Is 58W the only current location of NHK FTA?

I got it with a 6 footer pretty strong. yes only 58W I beleive. nhk world premium is scrambled but some programs like the news are also in the clear. no japanese pro baseball at all BTW.

I get it without any problems on my 1.2 Meter dish every time that I have checked.
When I last checked their FEC was 1/2, meaning that every other bit is error correction.

Can anyone suggest the minimum size dish to reliably get NHK World at 58W? Yes, I know some say mini-BUD, but I need day in day out reliability, can a mini BUD devoted to NHK do that?

Is 58W the only current location of NHK FTA?

Toucan-Man
I just did some testing for ikki on the same TP. Here is what I came up with on the 6 footer and Pansat 1500 here in suburban Mpls

NHK (4040H) 90 quality on the Pansat 1500. They are at 1/2 FEC so no issues there...on Pansat threshold is 30 for 3/4 FEC and 20 for 1/2 FEC
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1973998-post12.html

so a 6 footer would definitely work. Honestly I think a 4 footer would work. With the 1/2 FEC you can get a picture with little or no signal. I was down to 20-22 before it pixelated. But if you can find a 5 or 6 footer for free I'd say grab it for that channel

24/7 on Coolsat 6000P, BSC421, 90 cm offset and Walrus1957 Cone Scalar. Even in rain (or smoke) solid no pixelating signal. NHK, STO and a couple others are using DVB signal that is some times labeled Test. Not technical so don't know anymore then that.

May also depend where you live.

Last edited:
I can probably score a 5 foot mesh dish -- this install would be for my niece at her place. For myself, if a Primestar 84E might possibly work most of the time, I could invoke OTARD and put a dish in my front yard, the one place where I have a clear shot at 58W. My city has an ordinance against BUDs in the front yard.

Domo arigato gozai mas, or something like that. (Thanks!)

a 5 footer would do a great job on NHK

I picked up a Unimesh 5 footer today. The LNBF was missing its protective cap, will it being exposed to the elements for some time have done any damage? Attached are some pics.

Also, what kind of picture quality do you see on NHK?

Attachments

• uni5.jpg
    uni5.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 161
  • uni-lnbf.jpg
    uni-lnbf.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 172
  • uni-lnbf-inside.jpg
    uni-lnbf-inside.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 167
You should be fine. My motorized 6 foot dish is pointing right at 58 West through a tree and with only 10% Q I get ZERO pixelization.

This summer I received it on a 90 cm dish and the NHK transponder was in at a good SQ. But I think rain and bad weather would take it out. They had some interesting programs and news in english.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)