How important is the DVR to you as a Voom customer?

snidely said:
I won't go w. any provider unless they have a method to record. Right now all we have is a BEV 6000 for HD. ...mike
Mike, I don't get it, how are you timeshifting with a 6000? :confused:

There are ways...

169time and R5000 both can work with an E* 6000. I'd love to get Voom, but I want to be able to archive shows above and beyond mere DVR functions. Heck, give me a good FireWire port and I'd be happy.

Back to Dvlos's original question, I agree that it would be good to drop the west coast feeds once the DVR is out, IF other HD content is available by then.

Also, I would be in favor of Voom discontinuing the SD feeds of the HD premium channels. I realize that they probably have contracts requiring them to PAY for the SD feeds as part of each premium package, but perhaps they don't have to actually broadcast them? Such a waste of bandwidth. I bet they are NEVER watched.

Nothing new on the DVR front right?
I just saw a post fly by in another group threatening within the next three weeks. Rumor right?

A DVR is the ONLY thing preventing me from jumping on board. :no

RichardF said:
I just saw a post fly by in another group threatening within the next three weeks. Rumor right?

A DVR is the ONLY thing preventing me from jumping on board. :no
Welcome to the Forum!
Three weeks??? That would make a lot of people happy! I really hope VOOM can pull it off before the Holidays!

Its not for me right now....programming means more to me. I never felt the need to actually save a program....the HD content is repeated so much that I can catch something over and over again. A huge part of it for me is the pricetag...I cant afford anything else right now. Im paying 55 bucks a mth for VOOM while maintaining my Directv sub for the rest of my family. Not to mention Earthlink through my cable provider. Right now just for tv and a computer Im at around 175 a mth and Im not rich so its a something I can really never do unless its free. And we all know...its not going to be free.

I can only laugh

My best friends, a married couple, have given me hell for the last 5 years about me hating cable and being mr satellite. When I moved to MN 5 years ago I got Direct TV with NFL Sunday ticket, then I got Tivo, then I got Microsoft Ultimate TV with dual tuners. They came over to watch NFL games they couldn't get, but chided me for how much money I spent compared to their zero money out of pocket for cabletv. They had 4 rooms. I chided them about how I never missed a show because I wasn't home. I was in heaven when I had ultimate tv. I could record two pgms and watch a recorded pgm, I had PIP (no one then had that- that worked anyway), I could also see the program guide up to three weeks so I knew what was going to happen two weeks ahead of time. It was truely tv heaven.

Then lightning struck my house. I got a 43" widescreen HDTV monitor, got it home, found out I needed HD box and provider. Then no-one had it. I also had to buy all new equipment for satellite. well I was tapped out and went to cable because they atleast had 6 hd channels. That was it. I was a changed man. Once I saw HD, I knew I was never going back to not having HD. I no longer had DVR, but I didn't care. HD was better than DVR'ing by a long shot.

Then I got VOOM. Almost 5 months now. I cannot imagine not having Voom. It is almost the level of tv heaven I was in before.

But no DVR. Now my best friends got 2! dvr's from their cable company, $12.95/mo each, zero money out of pocket. I showed them how to use it. It records two pgms at once, PIP.. all the bells and whistles.

Tonight the wife tells me they don't like it because they can't watch 1 recorded pgm on the other's dvr box, like you can on VOOM's DVR when it comes out. (they saw the video on satguys.us website). They also can't see more than 5 days out on the program guide. Basically, they don't get the home networking, just straight dvr.

Now they're jealous.

Isn't life grand? : - >