How Important is the STB Front Panel Display?

How Important is the STB Front Panel Alphanumeric Display?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Can you drop a hint as to when on the deluxe box? Looking forward to that stb...

No :cool: This is a original hardware design based on chipsets and boards that are being updated and released on a weekly basis. Current chipsets designed for DVBS / S2 do not have horsepower necessary for multi-source hybrid operations, so we are looking to the media player and tablet chipsets. A few winners in the tablet market during Q2 and Q3 will define and shake out the weaker chipsets. Then we will see a dramatic reduction in chipset cost for competitive pricing in this market.

But..... will the standard or the advanced receivers need front panel displays? :D

No :cool: This is a original hardware design based on chipsets and boards that are being updated and released on a weekly basis. Current chipsets designed for DVBS / S2 do not have horsepower necessary for multi-source hybrid operations, so we are looking to the media player and tablet chipsets. A few winners in the tablet market during Q2 and Q3 will define and shake out the weaker chipsets. Then we will see a dramatic reduction in chipset cost for competitive pricing in this market.

But..... will the standard or the advanced receivers need front panel displays? :D
Well Brian! I have a feeling when your stb does get released your going to have a real winner here.You know what we need for a good fta sat receiver and hoping it will give us what we want and not what we wish it had.:):)

I frankly don't care. A power/signal LED would be fine, similar to the Motorola DSR410, with a DVR record LED. In menu brightness could be doable. A unit could be easily bench modified to other than red/green. You could include a header to add ones choice of standard character display, and maybe a case cutout one can fit in. Or use the same case and front mold for the advanced receiver, which will have the character LCD and an 8 button panel.

For buttons, simply a power button, video mode, and maybe a reset.

The LED display on my FTA receiver is pretty small, and time and channel really mean nothing to me, at least on that receiver.

My point is you "need" that for pre-sales AND you need it when things aren't quite working properly. That would be your "really need it" times.

The "nice to have" time is for bling, showing off, and when the big screen isn't on ( recording, time, status type stuff ).

You "don't need it" at all other times.

Insider info...... One of my current STB projects is Android.

The supply chain is now full of great powerful chipsets developed for tablets! WHOO HOO! :D

:D ;) :D

Seemed a natural direction after I thought about it.

A few things to consider... some of those MCU chips
pack multiple ARM processors and significant ( 128+MB )
RAM in there for pretty cheap. RAM is always good. :)
They also pack as much as 32MB ROMs :eek: , but
I'm wondering if a SD card slot and a basic ROM
that boots to said SD card slot isn't cheaper and
a lot more convenient both for the manufacturer
and the user?

Oh, and speaking as someone who has 150' between
STB and ( motorized ) dish, is it possible to up the current to a
non-standard ( but handy for some of us ) 800-1000mA?

A few more "wish list" items to consider... :coffee

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts