How Long After a Storm Should I Expect a Signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mkelet

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
NJ
Just a question, we had some nasty weather through here yesterday and still some thunderstorms today. I've been without a signal for about 18 hours now. How long should i expect this to last? I know this is not an easy question, but as a relatively new satellite subscriber, i'm just curious when i should seek out other help?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Mike

No idea where in NJ the OP is, but if the winds were anything like the S Shore of Long Island got, the dish probably got knocked out of alignment & needs to be re-aligned!

No idea where in NJ the OP is, but if the winds were anything like the S Shore of Long Island got, the dish probably got knocked out of alignment & needs to be re-aligned!
Or knocked his dish off the roof.:)
We had a peak wind gust last night of 58 MPH.
We have some branches down this morning. My Dishes are low,so I don't have wind issues.

Just a question, we had some nasty weather through here yesterday and still some thunderstorms today. I've been without a signal for about 18 hours now. How long should i expect this to last? I know this is not an easy question, but as a relatively new satellite subscriber, i'm just curious when i should seek out other help?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Mike

Do you have any signal strength showing in your menu? Can you get to the dish?

No signal strength at all. Dish is not in a spot where i can get to without falling off the roof.

No signal strength at all. Dish is not in a spot where i can get to without falling off the roof.

Hmmm, that's not good on either count. It sounds like you dish is way out of alignment. Normally you would see some ss if the dish moved just a little bit. Have you checked all of your connections and cables? Perhaps something came loose somewhere.

everything looks ok, where i can see. we had really high winds yesterday, started first by losing hd channels, then the rest.

everything looks ok, where i can see. we had really high winds yesterday, started first by losing hd channels, then the rest.

Well the hd channels are more sensitive to dish alignment, so that lends some credence to your dish being out of alignment. It's too bad you can't get to it. Sounds like you need to call Directv.

just called, they said we can't do anything because there is a storm in your area. They are always full of great answers.

no, the system doesn't allow it, is what they told me. call back later, when there is not a storm in your area. it's not raining here and hasn't for about 2 hours

yep, that's what i called, i was kind of shocked with her comment

Well, that makes sense if you think about it - a user calls up in the middle of a storm because they lost service and want to schedule an appointment, but the weather is causing the issue. Once the weather moves on, service comes back.

This is obviously different, but it makes sense that they'd have standard reply of "wait until the storm is over to see if your service returns".

That being said - it sounds like your dish got knocked out of alignment. I'm in CT and I didn't lose service at all, even when the wind was it's most vicious. When you do get a tech out there, make sure to express your concerns about wind - they may move your dish to a different place, or try to anchor it better.

Good luck!

It's a shame it's in a location that you have no access too. I've personally seen an install where all the bolts weren't tightened so even a mild storm would knock out the alignment. The storm is gone, time to call again.

One other thing, I did read here that if a receiver goes X amount of time without a signal it needs to be unplugged for a few minutes (cables from the back of the receiver too) before connecting everything back up & letting it reboot. You have nothing to lose trying this also.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)