How long do feedhorns last?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
How long do the feedhorns last. Are you more inclined to change the LNA/LNB behind it before changing the feed horn? What's the average lifetime of it. I am trying to figure if I would be better off using some old ones and save the cash versus ordering a new one. I wish I knew of a way to test the feedhorn on the ground aside from bolting it on the dish and pointing it.

I'm using one that is over 20 years old and working fine. I had to replace the servo motor on it, but that was it.

Reactions: goaliebob99
Most common failure of a feed horn is the polar rotor motor. But those are readily available and easy to replace. High corrosion areas can cause issues with a feed horn as well.

Yea wasps are a huge issue down here, and I have the cover for it so that will help out. I added a new C band LNB to this C/KU feed horn. The LNB on the KU side looks to be good. Both LNB's are Norsats which usually are top notch. I did have to replace the polar rotor motor so that is brand new. The center receiving rods move freely so that is good. Everything looks good and nothing looks too corroded. I might take a brush to it before putting it up. Giving it a little TLC probably wont cause to much harm.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)