How long on phone line to initialize?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stangflyer

Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Ok I have the 10-250 but no land line. If i take my rec. to my friends and use his landline how long does the initial setup take in hours? I will also take my 15" tft monitor with to see the menu's. I did try to search for this before posting. Thank for the reply's. :)

I have an install scheduled in a couple of days but no land line either. Why do I need a land line? Can't I get all the neccessary downloads from a sat?

Boondockbill said:
I have an install scheduled in a couple of days but no land line either. Why do I need a land line? Can't I get all the neccessary downloads from a sat?

no all TIVO software comes from the phone line.

The installer likely wont do the install without the land line on any tivo receivers.

And to answer the question above.... to get the new software that is available (not the out of box) it takes a few hours of downloading.

ShadowEKU said:
no all TIVO software comes from the phone line.

The installer likely wont do the install without the land line on any tivo receivers.

And to answer the question above.... to get the new software that is available (not the out of box) it takes a few hours of downloading.

I'd better cancel my install.

it doesn't take hours. software comes over the satellite. you will need to use the phone to get through guided setup and then once the software is downloaded it'll need to dial in to initialize the software, but it won't take hours.

Plywodstatebum,

If your refering to a regular HD receiver, after the initial set up you do not need a phone line, however you will not be able to purchase PPV's with your remote, the landline is used for the internal modem to call into billing over nite.
You can still order via the internet and/ or call in.

I do not know how different this info is for DVR users, as I do not have a D* DVR.
Depending on price, I may get a few when it is available in MPEG 4

Jimbo

JosephB said:
it doesn't take hours. software comes over the satellite. you will need to use the phone to get through guided setup and then once the software is downloaded it'll need to dial in to initialize the software, but it won't take hours.

Software DOES NOT come over satellite for DVRs all other recievers yes but NOT on DVRs

And it dials in to download the software. on my HR10-250 it took almost 2 hours. on my R10 it took about an hour and on my Hughes DVR-80 it took 45 minutes.

And it doesnt have to remain conected... after so many days you will get a nag screen that it needs oe but its a one click go away screen.

Which aspects of the DVR don't work until the unit dials in? I assume if you can take it to your friends to connect to the phone then you don't need it connected to the sat feed while downloading. Once it's done you just take it home plug in the sat feed and you are good to go or does it need to dial in again to initialize?

It has to dial in to activate the DVR service. It also has to dial in to get software updates.

I dont know if it has to have the sat connected before it boots to dial though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)