How long since you adjusted your vertical hold? Horizontal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
The newest edition to the radio station "museum." A TV set! (We call TV "radio for slow learners") Gotta love the blonde cabinet! The restoration Begins! Then, its FTA on this with the old programs!

WE control the horizontal. WE control the vertical.

Attachments

• RCA 1.jpg
    RCA 1.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 192
  • RCA 2.jpg
    RCA 2.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 180
  • RCA 3.jpg
    RCA 3.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 191
  • RCA 5.jpg
    RCA 5.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 191
  • RCA4.jpg
    RCA4.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 184
Our first remote was a two-tone chime device. Wonder if they could revive that concept today? You could play music while monkeying with the stb and tv set.

1978 was the last tube set I had. My wife watered it one day with the flowers. :( It had V Hold and H Hold but didn't use it much.

About 13 years...this color tv was bought just before the FIRST moon landing!
Got ALL the goodness out of that one. :)

When I was a kid I was the Antenna Rotor. Our antenna was on a little hill, across the driveway. We got 3 channels and the antenna had to be turned a different way for all three which sucked for me. I made a lot of trip outside listening to "NO BACK WAIT NO THE OTHER WAY STOP!"

Teacher in school had been a tv repairman previously.A woman on one of his service calls was complaining about a tv picture that seemed perfect to him.He rolled the picture slowly with the vertical hold and told her to pick out the best looking picture.

Our first remote was a two-tone chime device. Wonder if they could revive that concept today? You could play music while monkeying with the stb and tv set.
I still have a zenith remote kicking around somewhere.
Tuning forks and hammers via 2 buttons.
One was for channels,the other was for volume.

and usually that was followed with "since you're up get me a beer"

sad part (I guess) is my dad still does the beer line to me when we're at the lakehouse...but he waits until I'm just comfy in the chair then does it

Ice, you just gotta get that Budweiser dog that will get you and dad a beer!:D

RT.

I still have a zenith remote kicking around somewhere.
Tuning forks and hammers via 2 buttons.
One was for channels,the other was for volume.
Were the tones audible? Yours was fancy. Ours turned the set on, and switched the channels, nothing else. When the telephone rang, the set would turn on or off sometimes.

The "tuning fork" sets for remotes actually were popular up to the late 60's, early 70's! I had a black & white RCA 19" that only had one tuning fork, and it fired
the motor which turned the VHF tuning dial. Made a strong "click" vs. a "tooonnnnnggggg" when it hit the spot where UHF would be, it shut itself off. Many times you could rattle keys across the room and change the channel, too!

Wish this white set we just got would have had remote, but it IS cool! And, can't wait to get it fully restored!

xtgold;
I did TV Service back in the days of the V & H Hold and a lot of the service was to repair to get the hold to lock.... We often did the Vertical roll to get the best picture for the customer. It was almost ALWAYS a real pleaser for the customer.

Were the tones audible? Yours was fancy. Ours turned the set on, and switched the channels, nothing else. When the telephone rang, the set would turn on or off sometimes.
Ultrasonic freqs,you did hear the hammers click tho.
Funny, I was watching an old pink panther cartoon from the 70's? and it showed the pink panther using a tv remote.

The volume button was actually tv on/off and 2 preset volume settings,now that I think of it.

Heh, nice thing about tube type TVs was that when something went wrong with it, you could take those tubes out and carry them to some local stores and test them to try to fix it yourself. Been there, done that myself a few times.

As a kid our first TV was around the mid 1950s (can't remember for sure). It was a Crosley brand name and cabinet that thing was in was as big as today's washing machines. Had an odd oval shaped screen and of course was black and white only. We picked up 3 local channels with a fixed yagi antenna on the roof but there was a little compromise involved as none of them were best picture, but we did get to watch 3 of them though instead of just one or two with really good pictures.

Ahh yes, those were the "good old days" all right. And back then we were "GREEN" before it was ever "fashionable", ie, I either walked or rode my bike to elementary school, then I either hitch hiked or rode the city bus to a centrally located high school. We had only ONE car, one phone on a party line and we had no A/C, only a window fan. The house only had ONE TV, not one in each room. We recycled soft drink bottles, beer bottles and also milk bottles. The mail man WALKED to our house to deliver mail and us kids played outside most of the time instead of sitting in front of the TV all day. As I said, those were the days! ;-)

Ice, you just gotta get that Budweiser dog that will get you and dad a beer!:D

RT.

I guess the ironic part is I dont drink ;)

But see I'm smart...I wait until he gets up, gets the beer then just gets back to the chair and just as he's gonna sit down I go "where's my pop? Did you grab me a pop?":D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)