How long to format a 2tb ehd?

dwarren2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
Rochester, NY Region
Attached a new WD 2 tb ehd to one of my Hoppers around 5PM. It's now 1030PM and I'm still getting the formatting screen. Any programmed recordings did record. Is this normal? Getting a new HWS next week and need to get everything off the Hopper.

Confused as written..."Any programmed recordings did record". Not possible to format and record simultaneously. Maybe still transferring a bunch AFTER it formatted??

Hi, I would imagine you would need to have the dish remounted to the house and then all the wiring done for the installation. I really am not sure if this would qualify for a DISH Movers which would cost you $100.00 since you are still within your first week. I would like to make some inquiries and get back with you tomorrow if that is OK? Please let me know, thank you!

Hi, I would imagine you would need to have the dish remounted to the house and then all the wiring done for the installation. I really am not sure if this would qualify for a DISH Movers which would cost you $100.00 since you are still within your first week. I would like to make some inquiries and get back with you tomorrow if that is OK? Please let me know, thank you!

Mary, I think you meant this for another thread???

Attached a new WD 2 tb ehd to one of my Hoppers around 5PM. It's now 1030PM and I'm still getting the formatting screen. Any programmed recordings did record. Is this normal? Getting a new HWS next week and need to get everything off the Hopper.

Did it finish formatting? First time I've heard of it taking that long just to format.

I've seen it before where the "formatting" process took way too long, no activity according to the light on the EHD. Solution is to reboot and format again.

I don't think it really formats the drive, writing new tracks, etc. It just clears the directory and links and sets partitions.
That should take very little time. If it does go on for more than a couple of minutes, start over as Halo says.
Of course, this is not to be done while recording or viewing.

-Ken

Ye, it finally did format the ehd. But it was not till very early this morning that it did.
What I was referring to about recordings was this. The formating message for the ehd only took up the central part of the screen. You could see what was playing on the Hopper in the back round. I got 1 message asking me if I would allow a recording to begin and other timers did change the channel in the back round.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts