• as long as it takes

Votes: 192 28.0%
  • I'm in a contract with Dish

Votes: 126 18.4%
  • I'm in a contract but will leave anyway

Votes: 24 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have money invested in dish equipment. When Direct offers 2 free DVR's and real HDTV on more channels than dish, I'll look at it.

I don't need more HDTV channels, I can only watch so much TV and I still have a life.

Buenos Dias from Beautiful Puerto Vallarta!! No HD here except the view of the bay out my suite window.

I'm already seriously considering going to D* (been with E* since '97) with about 80% of the reason being picture quality. If E* had 20 more HD channels than D*, but D*'s PQ was better, I would switch to D*. And I would even be willing to pay more for the privilege.

Only hesitating now to see if D*'s PQ advantage holds for a while. Don't want to switch and then not get what I switched to get.

Heck, I would go with either E* or D* if they simply guaranteed high PQ on the premium movie channels and offering HD-lite/compressed on all of the rest. If one of them stated that 2 or 3 channels from each of the HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax tiers (let's say it was a total of 10 channels) were always going to be full-rez with high bandwidth (equivalent ... the amount of bandwidth needed will vary based upon the quality of the encoders), then I would be happy to sub to that provider.

That is interesting. Would there be some kind of backlash if any of the providers said they would give better overall quality to those HD channels that specifically paid for it? At the very least I am sure the channels that dont have the same deep pockets as the major ones would complain. But then maybe they already do this. I dont know.

Sorta reminds me of the idea a few Internet companies had to basically set aside bandwidth for those who paid for it.

They already do this with sd channels giving the pay per view channels the most bandwith , then premium movie channels, national cable channels and with locals with the worst bandwith. I can see them doing the same thing with hd channels as well.

If you are a DISH customer w/ a 622 and you switch to Directv, you will regret it. Their HD DVR is a major step backwards, and a few extra channels of HD will be quickly forgotten

I'm new to posting but from all of what I've read, I'm really curious. I am a Dish HD customer with a 622. Can somebody please tell me the differences between E*'s 622 and D* HD DVR? I keep reading that it's so much better, I just wanna know how and why that is.

Direct has not offered anything that I am missing yet, except Speed HD, which isn't really HD until February. Why would I give up a great DVR for Direct TV's DVR.

I am willing to wait at least six months. I have a 622, two 211's, and sixty eight HD movies archived on external hard drive with a fresh 500 gig drive ready to go. If E* activates the 211 external hard drive as rumored in December I don't see myself making any switch at all unless D* leaves E* totally in the dust on HD which is not very likely. Also I am by no means ready to give up Rave and Monsters HD!

I'm new to posting but from all of what I've read, I'm really curious. I am a Dish HD customer with a 622. Can somebody please tell me the differences between E*'s 622 and D* HD DVR? I keep reading that it's so much better, I just wanna know how and why that is.
E*s DVR has three tuners, 2 sat and 1 OTA. You could ideally record three programs at once. D*s does not receive or record OTA.

I am not going to go through all the trouble of switching everything to get 10 more channels. Its just tv, some of you guys act like this life or death. People need to relax a little more.

And D* HR-20 has 4 Tuners. 2 Satellite and 2 OTA Which is what E* should have. So the TV 2 functions isn't so half as#ed.

One size does not fit all, different subscribers have different needs. OTA tuners are worthless to me, where as the 622 dual mode saves me $5 a month vs the HR-20, so in my case it's the HR-20 design that is "half-ass-ed".

NightRyder

I have read many post on here on how people are going to leave in a month to how they are so mad at Charlie because he will not give them the hd channel they want. Wait a minute, those are post from me. After I have cooled down and I looked back to where I was (Charter) to where I have come. Believe me it is light years from where I was. I am taking back my one month vote and change it to as long as it takes (unless something crazy happens like taking our VIP 622 and Vip 722 away) I am still going to bitch and moan everytime a hd channels come out and dish does not deliver. I think my last vote was a hanging chad anyway.:)

I am not going to go through all the trouble of switching everything to get 10 more channels. Its just tv, some of you guys act like this life or death. People need to relax a little more.

True I agree. But then again I think it probably costs the average subscriber with HD at least $80 a month. So its natural they want their service to match the competition if its prices are the same or lower. In the end its all about the bottom line and what people get for their hard earned money.

I'll wait a year...but it also depends on the startup costs for D*. I've already paid for my 622 and might throw a hundred at a 722. That would give me 2 HD DVRs. How much is that going to cost me if I switch over?

They already do this with sd channels giving the pay per view channels the most bandwith , then premium movie channels, national cable channels and with locals with the worst bandwith. I can see them doing the same thing with hd channels as well.

Yep, E* has been doing this for several years now.

That's the model I wouldn't mind seeing them do with HD ... provided that the HD movie channels would get a lot of bandwidth. For even while the SD premium movie channels do get more bandwidth, it is still not enough bandwidth for them to be good quality SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)