• as long as it takes

Votes: 192 28.0%
  • I'm in a contract with Dish

Votes: 126 18.4%
  • I'm in a contract but will leave anyway

Votes: 24 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm very new to E* so I would wait for my contract to expire, probably longer. I'm very happy I went with E*. I love my 722 and being able to have the external storage and also being able to watch something on the DVR on a 2nd TV.

It's not all about the channels. Great picture quality should be included too.
And from what I've been hearing DirectTV is providing that . So come on DISH step up to the plate.:D

I second that! If I switch it will be based on who has the better PQ. Lets face it most of these new HD channels we won't watch. The more important factor should be Picture Quality and NOT the number of HD channels offered.

I'm holding out for the month in hopes that I see the PQ restored to what it was. I want My Sho, HBO, HDNET, and so on back at full rez.

PQ will NEVER be "what it was"..since the world is screaming for MORE HD MORE HD, that's what D and E are gonna keep throwing up there. There is a limited amount of "space" that they can use for transmissions, so, unless the plan is to put lots more satalites up there, I am certain the PQ will stay the same or get worse as they "squeeze" more channels in..

Maybe its time for a "VOOM like" 100% pure HD service to test the waters again?????

Mark Cuban, are you out there????????

Maybe its time for a "VOOM like" 100% pure HD service to test the waters again?????

But didn't Voom also start to downrez channels when they started to run into a bandwidth crunch? If what is being said about D* not downrezzing and bitstarving the new HD channels why bother with a new service?

Kind of impatient aren't you? DTV only has 8 more HD channels as of right now and they will NEVER get the 15 VOOM channels so when the two pull even DISH will still have 15 more HD channels!

I spent a week at my brother's house and he has D*. I'll wait indefinitely for E* because 1) they already have much of what I want and 2) I hated the D* DVR remote. It is about half the size of the E* remote and the button placement is confusing.

Last edited:
I just entered an 18 month contract with E*, coming from TWC. I tortured over the choice, but in the end I balanced the temporary advantage of more D* HD channels, and available bandwidth, and what appears to be full 1080x1920 low compression video, against the long term advantages of E* with a superior DVR, menu system and better external drive support.

In the end I went with E* for the long term, with the belief that D* is our best friend, keeping the competitive pressure on E* to match them in HD channels, full resolution and low compression, maybe not today or tomorrow, but soon.

There may be another channel or two that I would like to have right now, but I have Giada, and the Dog Whisperer in HD, and much more HD choices than I have had with TWC, so I'm pretty happy in the meantime. If, over time, E* disappoints, which I doubt it will, I can always make another switch after 18 months.

I want SCI-FI HD, USA-HD, CNNHD, Cinci HD Locals, And Charlie PLEASE get rid of All but three HD Pay Per Views Plus better PQ. I will want until 01/20/08

Oh Yes I Had VOOM THAT WAS THE BEST HD I EVER HAD SEEN!!. I still use my voom for the locals

I won't switch as I feel E* will catch up fairly soon, I prefer E* equipment, except for 2 day guide on 222, and have no use for Rupert Murdock! :)

The toughest thing for me to get over if I switched would be the ability to watch recorded programming on my bedroom TV. Having one unit that controls BOTH TV's is an AWESOME functionality and THAT may be what keeps me at E*. I've considered the AT&T U-Verse, but don't think the IPTV is good enough yet. I don't like the idea that I can only watch or record ONE HD signal at a time. I record EVERYTHING in HD when possible and watch other HD programming while recording. ...and U-Verse doesn't have HALF of the HD channels of E*. I wonder if that will change as AT&T gets their plans together as they are in a partnership with E* and it's been rumored that they will be buying the company...:)

I've been waiting for local hd for over a year. Without those locals and with the crappy Voom channels making up half the HD programming, it's not a hard choice. I'll be switching next month when contract runs out.

Everyone likes different HD channels and Video over IP channels.
I just ordered Direct TV

Myself I hate the VOOM HD channels, never watch and dont think I should have to pay the extra $5.00 for them (Dish HD is $20 and Direct HD is $15 hence I figure Voom must be worth $5)

I must have SCI-FI HD, USA-HD, CNNHD, Sci-fi is my most watched channel and CNN is also watch a lot as I love the news (Voom news was old recorded content).

PLUS

I love Video on Demand over IP, have you seen the list of 2,000 shows that are free?

Dish is charging $2.99 for old movies. Direct TV will have most of the Dish $2.99 shows for free through HBO , Starz, Show Cinemax ON Demand over IP (DOD).
I think Dish is marking the price up so they SELL DISH to AT&T, can you say cook the books?

Everyone likes different things, I think both services are equal for quality.
Go with what you like, do a comparison study before chaning.

I've had Dish for over a year and just ADDED DirecTV. I did some very close a/b comparisons of the picture quality of the new HD channels, particularly Starz which I watch quite a lot of, and the D* quality was far better than what Dish is putting out - they are definitely allocating more bandwidth. And as far as the new national channels not offering enough HD, most of them are NOT stretchovision; the programming on channels like FXHD, Sci Fi HD, etc, are first-generation SD, upconverted to 1080i, which is far better than washed-out SD channels that I will never watch. I was skeptical at first, but D* seems to be doing a superior job in the PQ department compared to E* right now. So much, in fact, that I just scaled back my Dish package to the smallest w/HD locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)