Votes: 192 28.0%
  • I'm in a contract with Dish

Votes: 126 18.4%
  • I'm in a contract but will leave anyway

Votes: 24 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I switched to Direct TV

My contract with Dish was up so I switched to Direct TV,I have two HR20-100's and one H20-600 receivers. So far everything is working great.
One thing different is I have one dish now.

P1020862.jpg

Ed...:D

My contract with Dish was up so I switched to Direct TV,I have two HR20-100's and one H20-600 receivers. So far everything is working great.
One thing different is I have one dish now.

Ed...:D

How's the quality compared to DISHHD and how big is your HDTV?

I'm with long_time_DNC :)

I find this kinda funny, but maybe I just have more patience. Seems a few months ago, people were talking about switching to E* cause they had more HD channels, now it's the other way around. Personally, I think everybody's gonna have the same channels when all's said and done. Not sure about D*'s picture quality (I'm on E*), but everybody'll catch up at some point.

That being said, I do wish E* would get moving on getting some of these new channels that D* has :D

Seems to me that there is a third dimension to the HD channel wars between the providers. Besides the number of HD channels and the HD PQ, there is the issue of cost. I've found it really hard to get a good number for what my monthly bill would be if I changed to D* or Comcast cable. I know what my bill will if E* finally forces me off the old HDPak and it is a monthly jump, about 18%. That's a tough swallow for those of us on a fixed income.

When the time comes, and it appears it will be coming soon, I'll either have accept the E* increase, jump to another provider, or settle for the OTA HD I already have. D* looks to have a nice HD package, but it is really hard to figure out initial cost and on-going monthly cost with them. I think maybe a little more discussion of pricing would be appropriate in these types of discussions.

Just my 2 cents.

Carl B.

D* looks to have a nice HD package, but it is really hard to figure out initial cost and on-going monthly cost with them.

Have you just gone to Good TV. Better TV. DIRECTV. and go through the order process online? My son was interested and I did that, asked what hardware and programming I wanted then showed what the monthly charge would be during the promition period and afterwards.

Yes, even though I do not have that problem, I think you probably hit the nail on the head...the VAST majority of people in the REAL WORLD, NOT on web boards definately want their locals in HD first and foremost..so, Dish should probably focus on that first, before they worry about adding Fox news in HD, or the Toilet Bowl Channel in HD..

Well, one thing I noticed since I first posted on this topic, I have read a couple of complaints of over-compression of HD locals on D*.
PQ not as good according to one former E* subscriber.
So maybe the grass is not quite as green on the other side as some think.
But like many things, this may be more a regional problem than a universal one. Difficult to say.

Well, one thing I noticed since I first posted on this topic, I have read a couple of complaints of over-compression of HD locals on D*.
PQ not as good according to one former E* subscriber.
So maybe the grass is not quite as green on the other side as some think.
But like many things, this may be more a regional problem than a universal one. Difficult to say.
Generally speaking locals vary from as good as OTA in alot of markets to just ok in others. Mainly has to do with the source broadcast that D*(or E*) is getting from the stations than anything they are doing themselves.

Generally speaking locals vary from as good as OTA in alot of markets to just ok in others. Mainly has to do with the source broadcast that D*(or E*) is getting from the stations than anything they are doing themselves.

I switched to the dark side a couple of months ago and PQ on my locals are at least as good as Dish.

I will most likely wait until the end of the Hockey Season, whereas I subscribed NHL CI Package. Even after that, D* is gonna have to come down to earth on the upfront fees on HUD-DR receivers to make me want to switch and then have to commit for two years.

You should check out D* treatment of Center Ice BEFORE you switch over to D*. From what I have been seeing the D* hockey folks are NOT at all happy with D*'s CI package.

You should check out D* treatment of Center Ice BEFORE you switch over to D*. From what I have been seeing the D* hockey folks are NOT at all happy with D*'s CI package.

Well to tell you the truth, I am not too thrilled with CI package on E* this year, with all the Canadian Providers (CBC,TSN,Rogers,RDS) content only being availabe in SD on the CI Package when, during the actual broadcasts, they claim they are broadcasting in HD. E* needs to wake up and make them available in HD too.

Otherwise, come next may (when my CI subscription expires), it will be a no brainer, to just dump E*. E* needs to pick up the ball and run with it, to keep us subs happy.

I think that will all be changed tomorrow! They are adding something like 14 more RSNS to CONUS so they can provide more HD to both the NHL and NBA packages.

D* rocks!

Well to tell you the truth, I am not too thrilled with CI package on E* this year, with all the Canadian Providers (CBC,TSN,Rogers,RDS) content only being availabe in SD on the CI Package when, during the actual broadcasts, they claim they are broadcasting in HD. E* needs to wake up and make them available in HD too.

Otherwise, come next may (when my CI subscription expires), it will be a no brainer, to just dump E*. E* needs to pick up the ball and run with it, to keep us subs happy.

Get your UHF antenna and swing it around pointing NORTH, dude. :) I get Hockey Night Canada out of Toronto easily from Sanborn and I can't be more than 7 or 8 miles "as-the-crow-flies" from you.

Forum Moderator's is there anyway of getting this poll extended at least a couple months into the new year. I would really like to see if peoples opinions are going to change if DISH fails to deliver after the new year.
Thanks

Directv install scheduled for Friday Nov. 23

The wait is over for me. Waiting for DISH to do something with that hunk of junk 129 satellite is also over. A year-and-a-half of denials and excuses from their csr's and techs was enough. Perhaps now I'll be able to watch an entire program on National Geographic HD without having to endure 10-15 minutes of signal loss every hour.

Well, I'm going back to D* again after 18 mos. of Dish. If Dish would tell us what their plans are for HD, I might be tempted to hang around a while longer & give them a chance. But it looks to me like they are tapped out until they get up new sats. Otherwise they would be adding new channels aggressively to counter defectors.

Speak up Dish & let us know your plans or more will leave!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)