How many 1080P VOD movies does DISH have at any given time?

crash331

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
As I understand it, DISH doesn't use true VOD (which I think is an impossibility on Sat) but it pushes content at night and stores it on the PVR. I can't imagine the PVR can hold that many 1080p movies. How many do they offer at any given time?

And what about regular VOD?

As I understand it, DISH doesn't use true VOD (which I think is an impossibility on Sat) but it pushes content at night and stores it on the PVR. I can't imagine the PVR can hold that many 1080p movies. How many do they offer at any given time?

And what about regular VOD?

Currently only 1 1080p HD.

I have 11 VOD (channel 501) on my receiver right now. There are also the DishOnline movies IPTV/VOD that require broadband to the receiver (press menu->9) and there are thousands of movies and TV on demand.

Right now one or none is the order of the day. I imagine they could do one or two more. Future receivers supposedly will be equipped with larger drives to enable 14 1080p VOD movies, at least so I heard (I believe from Dish claiming to have 14 HD VOD channels)

What is required for IPTV VOD?

I don't plan on running an ethernet to my receiver, but I do have an old 802.11b bridge I was going to use so I don't get the 2nd TV fee. Will 802.11b be fast enough?

I'm late to the party on the satellite VOD discussion, but why is "true" VOD not possible? Could you not just require the user to have either a phone line or ethernet hooked up to the receiver, send the message into dish with the user's selection via that, then stream the video via the dish? Sure there would be an initial lag, but once the stream got started there should be enough througput to watch it okay, right?

I'm assuming I'm missing some major technical issue... I'm just curious what it is.

I'm assuming I'm missing some major technical issue... I'm just curious what it is.
You're missing the fact that practically all available bandwidth is already used for existing channels. Dish VIP receivers can do true VOD but it's over the internet via a broadband connection, not the dish. Millions of viewers trying to do true VOD through the satellite is just not possible.

You're missing the fact that practically all available bandwidth is already used for existing channels. Dish VIP receivers can do true VOD but it's over the internet via a broadband connection, not the dish. Millions of viewers trying to do true VOD through the satellite is just not possible.
But Dish found a way around - FVOD, ie fictitious ch 501. Spooling overnight using IP stack and bandwidth of sport channels.

But Dish found a way around - FVOD, ie fictitious ch 501. Spooling overnight using IP stack and bandwidth of sport channels.
Hardly VOD if preselected movies are sent to your hard drive without asking. More like forced PPV recording that you don't pay until you view.

Would you run that by me again? I though the 1080p VOD came down via sat, but not in real time. How is the IP stack involved?

Still using sat mux, just instead of real time video/audio streams, they encapsulate pre-recorded same type of streams into IP packets and spool at speed of available bandwidth, plus it carry a few movies same time. The method is not required many things what a provider should do for time sync, etc.