How many different HDDVRs does Comcast offer?

aznxrice

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
i just switched and i ordered the comcast HDDVR.....and i wonder if it is anygood

It depends on if you are in a Motorola or Scientific Atlanta area. I am in a SA area and the choices are the 8000HD & the 8300HD. Both have dual tuners, 160GB drives, active SATA ports. The 8000 is DVI while the 8300 has HDMI. The ones I have have been solid and have active PIP.

Moto areas will probably have the 6412. Its a 120GB, dual tuner unit. SATA port but it is not active. Different versions of the 6412 have either DVI (phase II) or HDMI (phase III). PIP is not currently active in them either. There are some single tuner models out there but I believe they are moving away from those. There is a newer 3412 with has no analog tuners and is used on systems that have rolled out digital simulcasting of all channels. A newer 6416 160GB unit is rumored but only a few people have reported seeing it.

The Motos have quite a few bugs: a muting problem if the box is off and starts recodeing and then you turn it on to watch tv - you are stuck in mute. Phantom rcordings that show up dated 12/31/1989. Boxes loose features and have to be unplugged and rebooted. Sensative to signal power - getting "channel unavailable" of "will be available soon" messages.

Both of them have simpler IPG software compared to a TIVO I understand (having never used a TIVO) but seem to work sufficiently. After reading thru many posts, I prefer my SA8300HD over a Moto because they seem more solid that the Motos. But what you get will depend on the equipment you area uses.

I agree with pretty much everything Goober said. I did have DolbyDigital problems on my SA8000HD box, so I highly recommend the SA8300HD box instead. Also, DVI is NOT active on the SA8000HD boxes in my area. Both run warm as well, so keep them ventilated.

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts