How many Dish Antennas are needed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
I am looking to switch to Directv, and was wondering, how many Dish antennas are needed? I would be subscribing to the Total Choice and Locals, HBO. The reason I wonder, I have a motor home, and would need to have an extra antenna on it. Thanks in advance!

Not sure exactly what you're asking. Are you saying that you want to use E* dishes to pickup D*? If so, for just what you want, you can use one 18" dish, get a D* LNB, and point it at 101. The other two LNBs are for HD stuff and foreign programming. I've setup three or four single 18" dish installs, and that's all you need for what you want.

Thanks! I was just wanting to make sure I would only need 1 18" dish. I didn't want to have more than one to mess with on the motor home. I was not sure if I needed a second dish for locals.

COOL! That is what I was wondering. I have Dish now, and can't get locals in my motor home as it requires 2 dishes or a Dish 500. Most of the Directv installs I see in my area have 2 18" dishes, so I wan't sure. Thanks again!

Iafirebuff, I just checked the D* website here: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=1000013 and it indicates that your local channels come off the 72.5 satellite, so you'll need a second 18" dish to get your locals. However, you'll be able to get all your national channels off the 101 satellite, so you'll only need one dish on your RV (since if you drive out of the spot beam for Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, you won't get your locals anyway.) HTH

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)