How many dishes should I have?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bfollowell

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Evansville, IN, USA
OK, my wife and I live in a thirty year-old house that has had satellite since it went popular, all the way back to the large K-band dishes. The house was switched over in the mid-90s when the smaller dishes came out. There are enough wires, switches and splitters to reinvent Eniac I think. I decided to go in and clear out everything and start fresh. I pulled out all of the old wiring and wiring hardware and reran only what I needed, making certain to staple everything up so that it's not dragging across the ground in the crawlspace. My only concern is one wire running from what I thought was an older, unused Dish Network dish. We have a newer, dual-lnb dish with dual wire cable running from that. I was surprised to find that what I thought was the "old" dish still has a single wire running from it. There is a Dish Network switch in the basement that has three inputs labelled In from Dish 1, 2 & 3 and all three of these inputs go to them.

What I thought of as the older dish doesn't even seem to point in the same direction as the other one. What is the liklihood that this dish is still being used or that it was just reconnected by some clueless installed when the "new" dish was installed several years ago?

I'd like to remove the wiring and take the dish down if it isn't being used but I don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks for any information anyone may be able to provide.

Sincerely,
- Byron Followell

bfollowell said:
You're dead on the money boba. 110, 119 & 61.5

I guess I need both those dishes after all. I'm sure glad I didn't just start taking things down without checking here first.

- Byron

You should contact DIRT. They need to update you to a single-dish solution. Your current setup is missing the majority of HD channels (do you have HD?)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

You're dead on the money boba. 110, 119 & 61.5

I guess I need both those dishes after all. I'm sure glad I didn't just start taking things down without checking here first.

- Byron

119/110/61.5 is a 'mixed' arc setup, and shouldn't be what you have installed especially if you have HD. Will you send me a PM with your phone number or account number?

Yes, I have HD, and seem to have quite a bit of HD. When I look at the HD that's available, and I see what I have access to, I really don't see anything that I'm missing.

- Byron

bfollowell said:
Yes, I have HD, and seem to have quite a bit of HD. When I look at the HD that's available, and I see what I have access to, I really don't see anything that I'm missing.

- Byron

That's because the ones that you're missing simply don't show up at all in the guide ;) . Now you have the perfect opportunity to get Dish out to clean up your mess :) . Give Matt a PM. He'll fix you up, most likely at no cost :D .

That's because the ones that you're missing simply don't show up at all in the guide ;) . Now you have the perfect opportunity to get Dish out to clean up your mess :) . Give Matt a PM. He'll fix you up, most likely at no cost :D .

+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts