How many dishes?

Coolnate32

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
I have never had dishnetwork before and am having it installed soon, with local channels, how many satalitte dishes will I have? 1 i hope. Also, say I just hooked a antenna up to my satalitte box can I still use the DVR to record the shows?

You didn't give enough info to say for sure but if you aren't getting HD channels, it will be 1 dish for sure. If you're getting HD then there's a possibility you'll have 2 dishes depending on where you are located. As to the antenna issue, only the HD receivers have over-the-air tuners so, again, it depends on what kind of receiver you're getting (SD or HD). On the HD boxes, if you hook up an antenna, you can DVR those channels. Of course you have to subscribe to Dish services to do that (unless you have one of the older HD receivers). I know this is a bit confusing but you'd need to specify exactly what you're getting to be able to fully answer.

Widescreen said:
You didn't give enough info to say for sure but if you aren't getting HD channels, it will be 1 dish for sure. If you're getting HD then there's a possibility you'll have 2 dishes depending on where you are located. As to the antenna issue, only the HD receivers have over-the-air tuners so, again, it depends on what kind of receiver you're getting (SD or HD). On the HD boxes, if you hook up an antenna, you can DVR those channels. Of course you have to subscribe to Dish services to do that (unless you have one of the older HD receivers). I know this is a bit confusing but you'd need to specify exactly what you're getting to be able to fully answer.

Im getting two 625 recievers for 2 rooms.

Today at radio shack they said something about a second dish too. I wonder.... I guess I'l find out on Sunday.

Coolnate32 said:
Today at radio shack they said something about a second dish too. I wonder.... I guess I'l find out on Sunday.
My understanding is that Dish has moved all locals onto 110/119 due to government 1-dish mandates so if you don't have HD or the need for international programming, you should only have 1 dish.