How many Folders with EHD?

HighlanderCFH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Northwest Indiana
I am in line to have my faulty Hopper w/sling replaced with a new one after a tech visit concluded that my existing one is bad.

My problem is that I have over 2,000 recordings stored on the internal hard drive that I do not want to lose. Thus, in the near future I will be purchasing a 2 TB external hard drive to transfer all my recorded content so I can use it with the new Hopper.

For those who already have an EHD, I have a question regarding the folders.

As we know, the internal hard drive on the Hopper provides 6 main folders that we can name and use to store recorded content by category. The thing that drives me crazy is that each folder lists its recorded programs as individual icons.

For example, I have a science-fiction folder in which I store TV episodes and sci-fi movies. If I want to scroll down to a title that is at the end of the alphabet, naturally I have to go sequentially from A to Z. And, if I happen to have 30 episodes of Star Trek, there are 30 individual Star Trek icons I have to scroll past, etc.

That has been one of my complaints about the Hopper -- the lack of sub-folders within those 6 main folders. It would be great to just see one sub-folder (within the main folder) simply called "Star Trek" instead of all those individual episodes.

This leads to my question about the external hard drives.....

Does the Hopper limit the EHD to just 6 folders as with the internal HD -- or can you make sub-folders within the EHD to give every individual program its own folder for multiple episodes?

I hope I explained my question adequately and also hope that the folders are much more liberal with the EHD.

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

That's disappointing, but I'll have to just deal with it if true. I was hoping that, as a computer hard drive, the associated software would provide for folders.

Thanks for the reply.

I've never tried, this is just off memory from reading stuff. I could be mistaken, so still worth trying, but I am pretty sure you cannot.

I just verified. For a Hopper EHD, you can only have folders by name, or no folders. No sub folders, no naming or moving folders.

Not exactly. If you have 12 episodes of "The British Baking Show" in "folder" mode on the EHD you see one icon with a "12" on it. Out of "folder" mode you see 12 "British Baking Show" icons.

Not exactly. If you have 12 episodes of "The British Baking Show" in "folder" mode on the EHD you see one icon with a "12" on it. Out of "folder" mode you see 12 "British Baking Show" icons.

That part sounds very good. If I'm in "folder mode," and click on that one icon with the "12" on it, will it open that up to the individual episodes?
In any case, this sounds like it will still do pretty much what I'm hoping for.
Thanks again!

Yes that is what will happen. If in folder mode all same named programs will be put into the same folder, that you can click to expand, or skip over that folder to another folder or recording.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1451261346.268139.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1451261405.091141.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1451261461.917314.jpg

Note the green selection, and then the yellow DVR date vs A-Z.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am hoping (fingers crossed) that the new UI will allow for custom named folders. I have so many movies that I would love to put together to have them sorted. Especially for the wife's cheesy musicals, lol. I'd really like to have folders within folders as well. For example "SCI-FI" movies. and in that folder "BACK TO THE FUTURE SERIES" which would have all 3 of my BTTF movies and so on.

Heck, I'd be GREAT to just name the EHDs. You can't be sure which is which when two are connected, so that blue tape idea doesn't work.

Reactions: TheKrell
Do the transfer in batches. You don't want a glitch to mess up everything. Remember, that it's going to take a long time.

Hey, that reminds me of another thing I was wondering about regarding the transfers. Are the transfers done in real time (ex. - a 2 hour movie will take 2 hours to transfer) or are they somewhat faster?

I am hoping (fingers crossed) that the new UI will allow for custom named folders. I have so many movies that I would love to put together to have them sorted. Especially for the wife's cheesy musicals, lol. I'd really like to have folders within folders as well. For example "SCI-FI" movies. and in that folder "BACK TO THE FUTURE SERIES" which would have all 3 of my BTTF movies and so on.

Actually, you can already do this on a somewhat limited basis. If you use the green button and select "my folders," you will see about 6 unnamed folders for recordings storage. Five of them can be renamed (SCI-FI folder, for example) and the appropriate recordings can be transferred into that folder. The Hopper defaults to the "NO FOLDER" to store all recordings when the "my folders" view is selected. You can then transfer them to the appropriate folders that you have named. The "NO FOLDER" one cannot be renamed since it is the primary folder.

But the other five can have various names to store the recordings. You cannot have sub-folders within these five folders, however. That is where I join you in hoping the new interface provides that capability.

From what I've been told, the new interface might be released in a month or so.

Actually, you can already do this on a somewhat limited basis. If you use the green button and select "my folders," you will see about 6 unnamed folders for recordings storage. Five of them can be renamed (SCI-FI folder, for example) and the appropriate recordings can be transferred into that folder. The Hopper defaults to the "NO FOLDER" to store all recordings when the "my folders" view is selected. You can then transfer them to the appropriate folders that you have named. The "NO FOLDER" one cannot be renamed since it is the primary folder.

But the other five can have various names to store the recordings. You cannot have sub-folders within these five folders, however. That is where I join you in hoping the new interface provides that capability.

From what I've been told, the new interface might be released in a month or so.
Cool thanks for the info! I'll give that a try tonight. Jay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)