How much DD 5.1 in Voom programing?

mdanderson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
Garland,Tx.
I am scheduled for my Voom install this Saturday in Garland,Tx. and was wondering how much Dolby Digital 5.1 content is offered by Voom whether it be on HD or SD channels. I have bought a digital coax cable to take advantage of the digital out on the receiver. Thanks for any input.

The premium movie channels have movies in DD5.1. Note not every movie has DD5.1; newer movies have it, but some of the older ones do not. Much (but not all) of the Voom exclusive content also has DD5.1.

Just out of curiosity I went through all HD channels I have, and according to my receiver all of them but DiscoveryHD registered DD5.1. As of this moment. And all SD channels are DD2.0. However, note that if a channel delivers 5.1, this does not necessarily mean that the sound track is actually mastered in 5.1. Some older movies are stereo, or even mono...

Hope you kept your receipt. I'd definately go with the optical output if your receiver can accept it just because it's WAY COOL!!

I'm using an optical connection from my STB to my receiver and I've yet to see the "discrete" light turn on on my receiver when watching movies that indicate they are broadcast in DD5.1. this goes for both OTA and SAT.

I'm assuming that for some reason my receiver is not getting DD5.1 audio and is just getting PCM audio.

I have a sony SDP-E800... It has no problem with DD5.1 from my dvd player.

Anyone else have this problem?

txdude said:
My Audio is set to "Dolby Digital" and "No Compression"

That's very weird. If you have checked everything (all your connections) and your DD receiver is set properly, I would assume that your VOOM stb receiver does not work in sending the DD5.1 audio signal. I will puy a service call to get a replacement but I will make sure that everything is connected properly according to your manual.

Just for the heck of it:

Are you hearing surround sound on all 5.1 speakers or just the front speakers? I will also check your manual to see if there is any difference between your DVD connection and a satellite receiver. There are two output digital output on the stb -- coax and toslink. Did you try both?

Sean Mota said:
That's very weird. If you have checked everything (all your connections) and your DD receiver is set properly, I would assume that your VOOM stb receiver does not work in sending the DD5.1 audio signal. I will puy a service call to get a replacement but I will make sure that everything is connected properly according to your manual.

Just for the heck of it:

Are you hearing surround sound on all 5.1 speakers or just the front speakers? I will also check your manual to see if there is any difference between your DVD connection and a satellite receiver. There are two output digital output on the stb -- coax and toslink. Did you try both?

It's connected with toslink, but I haven't tried coaxial. There is sound coming from all my speakers and sub, but that is normal since my receiver would normally take a stereo signal and convert to surround sound. I'm pretty sure that there is not a 5.1 signal though since the "discrete" indicator always lights up when there is.

I haven't really had too much time to mess with it since getting installed on Thursday, but I will test the coax connection today as well to see if I have any luck.

I got DD5.1 to work :) ... Apparently my receiver has separate settings for each source and I had not enabled 5.1 decoding on my STB connection :eek: