How much do providers pay for PPV events?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
I've been seeing commercials about some wresteling event that Direct is charging something like $55 for the event.

This just leads me to wonder, what do they pay for the rights to show the event? And is this exclusive to DTV or does Dish and zillions of local cable companies have it too?

If multiple providers can carry these events, and it seems like they would have to be able to to stay competetive, whomever is responsible for distributing the event must make a boat load of money on what each provider must pay on whatever basis they get thier fee on to originate the event.

'some wrestling event'?!?!?!?! that is an insult!!!

but this is actual cheap on D*. On E* we have to pay $65 so count yourself lucky

Typical PPV events are in the 50% profit range, from what I've read over the years. That's why you see lots of in-house (directv branded) comercials and stuff advertising them.

'some wrestling event'?!?!?!?! that is an insult!!!

but this is actual cheap on D*. On E* we have to pay $65 so count yourself lucky
Is the $65 for the HD version? That's what D* is charging for the HD version, with regular being $55.

This is a bit of BS anyways in my opinion. I remember back in the day when these PPV events cost $29.99, with Wrestlemania costing like $5 more. I love how ratings and quality have gone down over the years yet the price has gone up. And having to pay $10 extra for an event in HD is absurd too. I'm paying that much just for the "privalege" to have HD service in the first place!

And having to pay $10 extra for an event in HD is absurd too. I'm paying that much just for the "privalege" to have HD service in the first place!

I completely agree although I would have no problem paying the extra $10 IF I was able to receive the SD feed on my older receivers too. That added to the fact that sometimes the audio in the HD feed can go out of sync I would love to have the SD to fall back on as sync issues bother the heck out of me.

Bill

I can remember a few years ago when DirecTV quit showing WWF (WWE) ppv's for a while. Some type of contract dispute if I remember correctly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.