How much is the Hopper upgrade costing you?

Welp, i actually got a phone call back from whoever checks their ceo@ email address. When put on the spot if i was a "3 star" customer for accepting credits the person said that they had no response to that. Hah...

He reassured me that I am a valued customer who pays on time and that there was nothing visibly wrong with my account. Fantastic, so the $99 promo rate should be a sure thing now right? NOPE! Not budging...

And that he "didnt know why certain people get the promo rate and others don't"... I mentioned how people 5-6 months into their FIRST contracts are getting the $99 promo and he had no comment. Then when I asked if they want to lose this customer of 3 years (and my $3k++ of income from a new contract) over this inflated extra $201 he really didn't care. In short - "this is the price, take it or leave it"

This is the same apathetic "we don't care if we lose you" response I've gotten from almost every CSR. Insane. At least this time the price was quoted at $300 and not $649 or $449 or $700........

It must be based on your credit report and credit ratings. That is the only thing I can figure out. Why else can someone practically new get a upgrade to the hopper and others been with DISH for years get quoted $700.00 to lease a whole house receiver? Unless DISH is just plain arbitrary in their upgrades, I can't think of another reason.

I am not sure . I read elsewhere on this board that to be a new customer again and get the promos it had been 6 months and now was reduced to 120 days or 4 months. The only way to know for sure is to email or talk to DISH to find out for sure.
My agreement (as a former Dish customer) said 3 months:

"... This offer is limited to: (A) new, first-time residential DISH subscribers; and (B) former DISH subscribers who (1) paid all balances owing under their prior DISH account(s) in full; and (2) have not received any DISH service during the 3-month period prior to activation under this plan (“Former DISH Subscribers”). ..."

It must be based on your credit report and credit ratings. That is the only thing I can figure out. Why else can someone practically new get a upgrade to the hopper and others been with DISH for years get quoted $700.00 to lease a whole house receiver? Unless DISH is just plain arbitrary in their upgrades, I can't think of another reason.

I thought that if any company is baseing a price point decision on credit/score then they have to tell you and give you notice that part of the decision is based on what has been obtained through your credit file.

I posted my final deal on page 18 but will say this .. if you call the 800 # you get placed with a group that has limited options .. ask to get transfered to the account services group as I was told multiple times they have more flexibility in making decisions.

I posted my final deal on page 18 but will say this .. if you call the 800 # you get placed with a group that has limited options .. ask to get transfered to the account services group as I was told multiple times they have more flexibility in making decisions.

No they don't. When I got transferred to accounts, the price I was quoted was $100 more than MaryB quoted me. And there was no budge and no explanation. $800 for 2H/3J. On auto pay, credit score over 800. 14.5 years with Dish. I was so looking forward to upgrading, but I can't justify it at that price.
Based on another post, I did send an email to ceo@xxx asking for an explanation.

A online customer service agent quoted me $100 to upgrade to a Hopper and 2 Joeys. $15 install (I pay for the Protection Plan). After I rewire my house, I'm going to get it.

I've been a DISH customer for 10 months. Americas 250. I even had a late payment due to a credit card changing numbers, paid the late fee even though I was pissed.

Its deffinatlly not based on credit. I have horible credit, and got a 1h2j system for 100, and a 2 yr comitment. Ive been with dish for 4 or 5 yrs, always paid on time, and pretty much subscribe to all programming available, except international. Bill runs about 240 a month. Very weird all the varried upgrade cost!

I was quoted $200 for 2H/2J. $99 install but I can add protection to get the $15 install (plus a few months of $6 protection)

Going for it but scheduling for a late April install after the dust settles on some home projects.

It's definitely not my credit, I'm in the low 800s. I'm guessing a thread calling them out with 10k views probably doesn't help but whatever.

And it's not even the $300 that I mind (which isn't really a bad price), it's a matter of principle.

Is that 120 days number for real? because even even then i don't think any of of us would get a monthly promo rate like a new customer does. And I'm perfectly ok with that. But if someone 5 months into a brand new contract can get the Hopper for $99 then this thread really shouldn't exist.

That is correct. You must be without Dish for 3 months before you can sign back up as a former customer. Former customers get all the same promotions as brand new customers assuming you still qualify based on your past account and credit.

If you're being quoted that much then you are not leasing the equipment. Those are prices to purchase the equipment. You also would not have to renew a commitment. Technically you could install the equipment yourself too.

Edit: Once I added up what some people are having to pay I figured out what they are. If you are getting 2Hoppers/2Joeys and were quoted $700 then you are a plan C and would be leasing and signing a 24 month commitment.

Now if you were getting 1Hopper/2Joeys and were quoted $747 then you do not qualify for an upgrade and that would be a purchase price. If you are wondering how Dish is getting their prices you just need to refer back to the retailer chat thread or Hopper pricing thread.

Last edited:
If you're being quoted that much then you are not leasing the equipment. Those are prices to purchase the equipment. You also would not have to renew a commitment. Technically you could install the equipment yourself too.

Edit: Once I added up what some people are having to pay I figured out what they are. If you are getting 2Hoppers/2Joeys and were quoted $700 then you are a plan C and would be leasing and signing a 24 month commitment.

Now if you were getting 1Hopper/2Joeys and were quoted $747 then you do not qualify for an upgrade and that would be a purchase price. If you are wondering how Dish is getting their prices you just need to refer back to the retailer chat thread or Hopper pricing thread.

So you can pay $700.00 to LEASE a receiver. Well for that price you ought to OWN the receiver period. You can pay $587.00 at dishdepot and get a hopper( $349.99)and two joeys ($119.00 x 2 =238.00) and you pay NO tax if you live outside of Florida. But you would have to self install.

If you're being quoted that much then you are not leasing the equipment. Those are prices to purchase the equipment.
If a person contacts Dish and has very poor (or no) credit, aren't they req'd to BUY their equipment outright ? Sounds like the reason for the full retail prices people are being given is a credit worthiness issue, at least according to Dish's system. But then you have people saying their credit is top-notch (and I have no reason to doubt them) and they're given these $500+ costs. Makes no sense...

It's definitely not my credit, I'm in the low 800s. I'm guessing a thread calling them out with 10k views probably doesn't help but whatever.

And it's not even the $300 that I mind (which isn't really a bad price), it's a matter of principle.

It's subscribers like you that should be a priority with a company. There are at least a couple of posters like yourself where there just seems to be no reason to why the cost. I have to agree it doesn't seem to be credit driven, though it may play a part. Maybe not my law, but I sure think a long time subscriber deserves an explanation.

Yeah I was waiting for this receiver. Set aside $100 for it. Out of contract. Auto pay the entire time. Excellent credit. And they told me $200 for the hopper(+$100 for each joey) when most were getting the hopper for $99. And I was getting a lot of conflicting answers even from the dirt team. installation costs, package requirements, joey requirements, etc. I was so frustrated I just cancelled dish and switched to direct. I really wanted that hopper too.

I've been with dish for the last 7 years or so. Except for a stint when I lost hours at work and cancelled dish but only to save money(I wasn't on contract then). When my hours came back I signed up with dish again. They did give me some crappy offers to stay but if they had just said hopper for $99 I wouldn't have left.

Last edited:
So you can pay $700.00 to LEASE a receiver. Well for that price you ought to OWN the receiver period. You can pay $587.00 at dishdepot and get a hopper( $349.99)and two joeys ($119.00 x 2 =238.00) and you pay NO tax if you live outside of Florida. But you would have to self install.

Did you look back at the upgrade prices on here?

A plan C customer pays $200 per Hopper and $100 per Joey. So a 2 Hopper 3 Joey setup is $700. Plus the tech visit fee. It's ligit.

If a person contacts Dish and has very poor (or no) credit, aren't they req'd to BUY their equipment outright ? Sounds like the reason for the full retail prices people are being given is a credit worthiness issue, at least according to Dish's system. But then you have people saying their credit is top-notch (and I have no reason to doubt them) and they're given these $500+ costs. Makes no sense...

Yes. If you do not have credit or very poor credit then you do not qualify for an upgrade and must purchase the equipment.

Yes. If you do not have credit or very poor credit then you do not qualify for an upgrade and must purchase the equipment.

I have VERY poor credit, and got it for 100bux 1h2j. 4yr customer, prompt pay. Didnt have to buy outright. Non of the crap people are dealing with makes sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)