How much is the Hopper upgrade costing you?

I was charged $67 for one hopper and two Joey's as I told them that I just paid $200 for a 922 lease fee in November 10'. So I talked them off of $400, then off of $200 to get down $67. The deal was so good, I bought a sling adapter to go with my Hopper system to keep my TV everywhere functionality.

I checked MyDish, and no longer see the $25/mo discount listed anywhere. I can't remember if I used to see it in My Programming or My Offers. But, I definitely remember seeing it prior to the upgrade.

I PM'd Zach, who arranged the upgrade, to clarify the sitch. But, if I indeed lost approx $500 of monthly credits due to the upgrade, I will be an unhappy camper. And, I mean unhappy camper in the Jason Voorhies sense of the word.
I just signed up as a new customer to get the Hopper/Joey. I get $26/month in credits, but they don't show up in "Billing" on myDish.com. Looking closely, it says there "excluding credits", so I don't think you'll lose your credits.

(Excludes taxes / credits)

America's Top 250 69.99
DVR Service 6.00
Protection Plan 6.00
HD 250 Free ($10/Mo) 0.00
Whole Home DVR Service 4.00
Joey Receiver 7.00
Total $92.99

After seeing the range of prices people have been quoted, I was both concerned and curious about what it would cost me.... Just did a chat to find out:

Suzan (ID: F52): You can get the Hopper and Joey for the upfront cost of $100.00 you need to replace the Duo receiver with the Hopper.
Suzan (ID: F52): The installation is free but there is a technicain visit of $95.
Suzan (ID: F52): You can get the technician visit free with the protection plan $6 on the account.
Suzan (ID: F52): Protection Plan comes for only $6 a month. It covers all the Dish equipment in your home.
Suzan (ID: F52): The regular price for the technician visit is $95 however with Protection Plan you can get the discounted price at $15.
Suzan (ID: F52): Would you like to add protection plan on the account?

"You can get the technician visit free with the protection plan"
"technician visit is $95 however with Protection Plan you can get the discounted price at $15"

:rolleyes:

Reading all of these posts is just maddening. There seems to be no consistency in pricing and the misinformation is rampant. One thing that really irritated me is the fact that CSRs weren't trained to provide accurate information on day one. This is a nationally advertised launch of a flagship product and the people taking the orders, especially on launch day, were clueless. I find it appalling that people have to contact a DIRT member in order to get a straight answer. Why can't CSRs receive the same training? Dish NEEDS to get with the program.

Typical DISH customer dis-service. Happens just about everytime they come out with the latest "flagship" receiver. After all the upgrade quotes here , I will be surprised if they keep any of the customers they tell $700.00, for an upgrade to the hopper. This latest credit/gimmick is going to cause churn to soar. I can see potential current subs saying you want me to pay $700.00 to LEASE a whole house dvr receiver system??!!! Are you f*cking Crazy???!!!

Typical DISH customer dis-service. Happens just about everytime they come out with the latest "flagship" receiver. After all the upgrade quotes here , I will be surprised if they keep any of the customers they tell $700.00, for an upgrade to the hopper. This latest credit/gimmick is going to cause churn to soar. I can see potential current subs saying you want me to pay $700.00 to LEASE a whole house dvr receiver system??!!! Are you f*cking Crazy???!!!

Mike if you are so unhappy with Dish then why are you still with them?

Mike if you are so unhappy with Dish then why are you still with them?

I'm not unhappy with the service. I am unhappy with some of their business practices. I've seen them screw up what should of been a golden opportunity to turn the tide of churn and to build their sub base back up. INstead they do these "credit checks" that divide subs up into A,B or C class. Then they quote ridiculous upgrade amounts to their subs and this causes them to then share this information with this site and everyone they know. This causes subs to feel alienated and then they churn out of anger. I 've seen this happen just about everytime they come out with a new class of receiver that is supposed to be must have. In the last ten years ,this company has turned from a customer driven company to a FEE driven company , that puts its existing sub base LAST. It's all about the new sub. This causes subs to yo-yo back and forth between the two satellite companies so they can get the latest deal on receivers and to get program credits. I hate to see DISH continue to shoot itself in the foot time and time again. I once loved this company and for some reason still feel a strong loyalty to it, but that doesn't mean I won't call them out when they do STUPID things like this ,over and over again.:confused:

I'm not unhappy with the service. I am unhappy with some of their business practices. I've seen them screw up what should of been a golden opportunity to turn the tide of churn and to build their sub base back up. INstead they do these "credit checks" that divide subs up into A,B or C class. Then they quote ridiculous upgrade amounts to their subs and this causes them to then share this information with this site and everyone they know. This causes subs to feel alienated and then they churn out of anger. I 've seen this happen just about everytime they come out with a new class of receiver that is supposed to be must have. In the last ten years ,this company has turned from a customer driven company to a FEE driven company , that puts its existing sub base LAST. It's all about the new sub. This causes subs to yo-yo back and forth between the two satellite companies so they can get the latest deal on receivers and to get program credits. I hate to see DISH continue to shoot itself in the foot time and time again. I once loved this company and for some reason still feel a strong loyalty to it, but that doesn't mean I won't call them out when they do STUPID things like this ,over and over again.:confused:

I have to agree with you on that one, in 2005 my bill was about $50.00 less than it is now, thanks to the receiver fees....

I have had the same equipment and programming since 2004. My bill was $45/month then and $74 now. The programing has increased $20 and the equipment fees $9 in less than 8 years. That is roughly an 8% increase each year. I wish I got an 8% raise each year.

BTW, I just chatted with a Dish rep and they quoted me $200 for a 2 Hopper/2 Joey upgrade and $95 for install or $15 with the protection plan. When I asked about adding a 3rd Joey they said I couldn't do that with 2 Hoppers. I asked why and they said because I only had 4 TVs connected on my account. Not sure why that matters. I asked if I had 5 TVs could I add a 3rd Joey. After several minutes they said that there was a problem with my account and that I could add a 3rd Joey for $99 but not at the moment and to try in 5 - 7 days. Strange...

Last edited:
I have been a customer since october 2011, so very new. Have America's 200 and three movie channels. Three tvs with 722 and 2 622 receivers. Installed 1 hopper and two joeys and total upgrade was $400 plus $15 install fee.

butters said:
I have had the same equipment and programming since 2004. My bill was $45/month then and $74 now. The programing has increased $20 and the equipment fees $9 in less than 8 years. That is roughly an 8% increase each year. I wish I got an 8% raise each year.

BTW, I just chatted with a Dish rep and they quoted me $200 for a 2 Hopper/2 Joey upgrade and $95 for install or $15 with the protection plan. When I asked about adding a 3rd Joey they said I couldn't do that with 2 Hoppers. I asked why and they said because I only had 4 TVs connected on my account. Not sure why that matters. I asked if I had 5 TVs could I add a 3rd Joey. After several minutes they said that there was a problem with my account and that I could add a 3rd Joey for $99 but not at the moment and to try in 5 - 7 days. Strange...

I would PM a DIRT member. I have 3 recievers now and I'm going to a 2H/3J system (adding Dish service to an additional TV). I currently have 2 ViP 722k's and one ViP 211k.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

butters said:
When I am ready to order I will contact DIRT. We are still discussing our options and I am investigating some potential line of sight issues with switching over to an EA setup.

If you have LOS for 61.5 and not the other EA sats you could do a full WA setup with a wing dish for 61.5 since Traverse City HD locals are there.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I think I will be ok, but it depends on where I have the new dish installed. Need to find a suitable location that gets a good signal and looks ok in the yard/on the house and makes the wife happy.

A loyal customer 5+ years, the Hopper upgrade is $99. I think the CSR's are not up to speed, I spoke directly with them during the install at my home and renewed the contract at $99

I have to agree with you on that one, in 2005 my bill was about $50.00 less than it is now, thanks to the receiver fees....

I called them out on their additional receiver fees two years ago last February, when they hiked them from $7.00 to $17.00 for a Vip dual tuner dvr. One of the most ridiculous things that DISH has ever done. Coincidentally they started losing subs back then and have only added them twice in the last 8 quarters. This was another example of screwing their existing sub base. I used to think that DVR fees PER Dvr receiver were bad, but the additional receiver fees topped that. Especially since they claimed they only charge one dvr fee per account. They still rolled the dvr fee, reduced to $3.00, into the additional receiver fees. Used to be able to escape the extra dvr fees if you subbed to AEP , then they did away with that perk too. Their latest fiasco of a hopper upgrade will cost them even more subs . They never learn. I'm betting that next quarter will not show the upswing in new subs that they hope it will. Especially when all their current pissed off subs churn over DISH's "Aggressively priced" hopper : $700.00 to $800.00 to LEASE a receiver!:eek:

Last edited:
I know everyone thinks the prices are inconsistent and are BS but there are reasons for them. Everyone that has posted their price on has made sense to me. The prices make sense other than I do not know the exact reason why that customer does not qualify. Basically anyone paying a minimum of $449 for the Hopper is not a qualifying customer for an upgrade. I will admit that I am surprised at the amount of people who are not qualifying though. We rarely get customers that do not qualify. What we usually end up running into is a customer that qualifies but does not have a credit card.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)