How much is the Hopper upgrade costing you?

Two Hoppers $349 each from Dishdepot and I will OWN them.

is that a reputable place to order?

i see Dish Joeys for only $119 and i'm assuming in this case you own them outright. Great for occasional use TVs or guest rooms.

is that a good place to order?

i see Dish Joeys for only $119 and i'm assuming in this case you own them outright.
Yes, they are a good place to order from, I used them several times in the past. (before Dishstore)
Solid signal is the only other place on the web (that I am aware of at this time) and they charge much higher prices on most DISH items + charge shipping.

Yes you would own the Joeys for that $119

dare2be said:
Instead of asking "why", ask "what" can I do to become eligible. Maybe you'll get a clue then.

I tried that. I said what can i do to bring the price down. Response was corporate makes the qualifications and there was nothing they could do. I have the everything pack and autopay. Id add more but i already have just about ever option they offer

You can enable/disable them at any time. And then you can sell the hardware when the next generation comes out or when you cancel DISH.

It's the same monthly fee, though.

I tried that. I said what can i do to bring the price down. Response was corporate makes the qualifications and there was nothing they could do. I have the everything pack and autopay. Id add more but i already have just about ever option they offer
I'm running into a similar problem with the DIRT team, except I'm out of contract. I've been on Auto-Pay the whole time, so it's not like I've missed a payment.

what is the advantage of buying the equipment outright over getting it through dish? lower monthly cost after initial investment?
The monthly cost will be the same but you will own the equipment. You will not have to extend your contract and can deactivate the equipment at any time. You can also sell the equipment if you leave E*.

Also in the case of a fourth joey requirement, there's little difference in cost between owning and leasing.

I could buy a fourth joey from dishdepot at $119 and own it outright vs leasing it from dish at $99. I'd rather own at that point just to be able to turn off the outlet as needed.

Again, that's in situations where you have 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys only.

I finally reached a supervisor who was willing to tell me what was wrong with my account. Long story short, in the past I was offered credits due to my service interruption and after purchasing a faulty Logitech Revue.. (Again, these credits were offered to me "for my troubles" when calling phone support, who in their right mind would say no to a free $X/discount).. Accepting these credits makes you ineligible for upgrade promotions.

TLDR: there are no "free credits" at Dish, they will be held against your account similar to paying your bill late.

I finally reached a supervisor who was willing to tell me what was wrong with my account. Long story short, in the past I was offered credits due to my service interruption and after purchasing a faulty Logitech Revue.. (Again, these credits were offered to me "for my troubles" when calling phone support, who in their right mind would say no to a free $X/discount).. Accepting these credits makes you ineligible for upgrade promotions.

TLDR: there are no "free credits" at Dish, they will be held against your account similar to paying your bill late.

Scott said that Dish is reading these complaints and may tweak eligibility in the future. Remember this has only been 24 hours since launch so it's expected that there will be all sorts of people slipping through the cracks because of their complicated Plan A, B, C rankings.

Not sure how long you can wait, but I guess it's worth calling back in a few weeks. Of course no guarantees. At some point, it might be easier to just switch to a competitor.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with E*. 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys to replace my 722, 612 and 211. $191.00 upgrade and installation, including a credit for unused service this month, monthly fees for DVR and receivers go from $23 to $31, not bad. They wouldn't give me 2H/1J which I wanted so I bit the bullet. Installation is today.

is that a reputable place to order?

i see Dish Joeys for only $119 and i'm assuming in this case you own them outright. Great for occasional use TVs or guest rooms.

Great place to do business. I have bought all of my receivers there since 2003. They do trade-ins of owned receivers for credit towards new receivers and if you live out side of the state of Florida , you pay NO TAXES. Can't recommend them higher.:D

More great customer service from DISH.

schermann's post from another topic....

For the people who did not qualify yesterday I would try again today. Dish requalified all of their customers last night. We just got a customer signed up today that did not qualify yesterday.

won't change everyone's situation, but might be worth one inquiry today to see if anything changed.

The fact that it's changing is a good sign though. Maybe in a few weeks most of the people will be requalified and taken care of.

Two different DIRT members, two different responses. Yesterday I had to have a joey, today I do not. Yesterday I had to have AT200, today I can keep my Dish America. Yesterday installation was $15 if I add DHPP. Today if I add it, it's free.
However they still want $200 for the receiver and I don't know why.

So my experience... I havent upgraded my equipment since 2006. I currently have a VIP622 and a 510. I was told 4 months ago since it had been so long since i upgraded i would be able to in the future at no cost. I was looking for 1 hopper and 2 Joeys...was told it would be $400 plus...when i was transfered up the ladder...i talked to a supervisor who proceeded to say there was nothing they could do and then they hung up on me...which i was shocked at and really felt was unprofessional. I am not sure why i dont qualify for anything and was really shocked at the treatment I recieved. In a tight market where people fight for customers, at least they should be respectful. Very frustrating.

^well said. it took me 4 chat sessions, 2 DIRT PM exchanges, and half a dozen phone calls before a chat rep finally got a supervisor who admitted "accepting our free credits makes you ineligible for upgrades"

Yeah it is really sad that this is the case. I would be ok if that was stated etc...but when i called 4 months ago to upgrade they told me to wait, to hold off until the new devices came out. Now they are out and you get snubbed. It is better to leave and come back...which really makes no sense. They need to treat their current customers better then their new ones. I dont know...I am still in shock that I got hung up on....oh well...Contacting DIRT as we speak....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)