How much is the Hopper upgrade costing you?

I very strongly believe that mentality still factors in with companies like Dish. I use the example of the weather channel or the "on the 8s" feature available to cable. Dish, in my opinion, has the attitude that "X" % of their customers aren't aware of that other option, therefore they're not missing anything.
After coming back to Dish from two years with Cox, I was very happy to see a dedicated "Weather on the 8's" service from TWC on my system. Not just on the 8's, but all the time. Of course, the REAL TWC still just has national maps, but the current weather, local forecast and Doppler screens are on the dedicated channel. :)

dare2be said:
I'll bet that the many returned 922s has adversely affected your rating, whether it's your fault or not. So your account has a history of consuming many receivers without Dish getting a return on their monthly fees for each receiver, so you are basically in a "negative balance" as far as what it has cost Dish in hardware to supply to you vs. what they have received in lease/receiver fees from you. So they flag your account as high risk and want you to pay up front for new equipment.

So when my receiver freezes up, hard drive dies, cuts off in the middle of show etc. I'm suppose to just keep the receiver. That's not a good business practice at all.

This would explain it with mine too. Last month we had a coupon for a PPV and even after using it online my PPV didn't show up as purchased on my guide. I called up about this and all the guy could do was give me 2 free PPV coupons. I sure wish I had known about that affecting upgrades....

Does that mean the two PPV coupons I received as a new customer are going to count against me in the future? It's not like I insisted on the coupons, they just showed up.

mdonnelly said:
Does that mean the two PPV coupons I received as a new customer are going to count against me in the future? It's not like I insisted on the coupons, they just showed up.

I highly doubt that they would impact you in any way.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

For anyone that has to pay the higher upgrade fee it may just be smart to wait a bit if you can. You may qualify for the better rate in a few weeks or month. You're willing to be patient you may be ok. The only other options are calling Dish and trying to get them to change it(good luck) or switch providers.

I'll bet that the many returned 922s has adversely affected your rating, whether it's your fault or not. So your account has a history of consuming many receivers without Dish getting a return on their monthly fees for each receiver, so you are basically in a "negative balance" as far as what it has cost Dish in hardware to supply to you vs. what they have received in lease/receiver fees from you. So they flag your account as high risk and want you to pay up front for new equipment.
Huh?

I got the Hopper and 2 Joeys for the $100 deal. I got a 922 in May of 2010 and returned it and 2 others until I got one that worked in Oct, 2010. I think there may be something else besides returned receivers. I also upgraded a 622 to a 722K a year ago. I'm sure I would be as upset as anyone else had I not been given the deal but I'm really curious about what is actually killing the deals.

I had three PPV coupons during the short tenure of my current account, and I still got the $100 upgrade.

Their tier system criteria is baffling at best, and infuriating at worst, especially for those being quoted more than purchase price for a leased system.

Simply put...he had so many receiver returns that Dish never recouped their cost of supplying them to him, so they aren't going to give him any discounts on a new receiver upgrade. Just a guess.

Just so everyone knows, $100 for 1 Hopper and $200 for 2 Hoppers should be the cheapest upgrade options. If your are upset that upgrading to 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys is costing you $200 plus the tech visit then you are out of luck. That is the cheapest it should be for an upgrade.

That's the offer I received for 2H/2J. I'm certainly not complaining!

I would have loved to get that offer. But either $700 or $800 for a 2/3 is a lot more.

I remember how ticked I was when everyone (it seemed) was getting a 922 for free, yet I had to pay $200 just for 1 922. Kinda glad now that it wasn't free and I didn't get the 922.

3HaloODST said:
I remember how ticked I was when everyone (it seemed) was getting a 922 for free, yet I had to pay $200 just for 1 922. Kinda glad now that it wasn't free and I didn't get the 922.

I also paid $200 for the 922. I never had one complaint. I knew when I got it the cost would be $200.

Simply put...he had so many receiver returns that Dish never recouped their cost of supplying them to him, so they aren't going to give him any discounts on a new receiver upgrade. Just a guess.
If Dish cannot provide equipment that works and then penalizes a customer for their failures, that is a real shame. To lay t hat on the customer is wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)