how much is your genie(hr34) costing you?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Md
well there was a thread for the hopper, so heres one for the genie

i was out of contract
got a hr-34 to replace an h24 for $49 installed

now i have an hr34 and an hr24, if there are any conflicts its time to see a shrink

got mine in February for free...customer for 2 years but had 10 months left on contract (upgraded in Dec 10 for HD)

Was offered the same deal ($49) and politely asked the CSR if they could do anything about that remaining $49. His supervisor credited it off my account. Then there was a $49 Professional Installation fee. I explained I was laid off in March of 2011 and would appreciate anything they could do to alleviate any of that fee. He got me into a promo that discounts my bill by $10 a month for 2 years. :) So.... my Genie cost me nothing and I made about $190 once all is said and done.

FABULOUS customer service from DirecTV. Seriously.

New customer from Dish so I got it for free + 2 clients. It replaced a single 622 so I'm all happy with the 3 extra tuners I gained.

$99 for the HR34 and an H25 (this was in August). Returning customer - I had cancelled 4 months previous. This was essentially the new customer offer before it was renamed the Genie.
$399 + they made pay for that useless Cinema Connection Kit $99, when i got mine in August
They included one for free when I signed up, the installer insisted on hooking it up, and I just took it out after he left. If I was forced to pay $99 for it I would have flipped.

Mine was $50 + $50 install. Came w/ cinema connection kit. Really didn't push for more off, got more than I asked for.

Existing customer of 6 years, a few months into a 1 year contract as a result of a previous call to retention when we were considering switching to another service due to their 5-tuner DVR and triple play offer.

I called D* several months ago to inquire when I would be out of contract. The CSR told me it would be Oct 17, 2012. I called today to get a Genie receiver. The first CSR I called said it would cost me $299 for the unit, I also wanted to get a D* with Tivo for the wife. She really liked the Tivo of old....
The CSR said she couldnt comp the genie but would comp the Tivo unit.
I explained I would contact the president line/email for escalation. Sent an email to the CEO email resolving the issue.
Now I have 10 receivers in the house active without a contract, I spend about $200-250/month for D* service.
The president rep called me about three hours later and said she could sell the Genie receiver for $99. I thought that was high, why not comp a leased piece of equipment and now I see that others have been.
We agreed to the $99 charge, but at the end wanted to charge me $49 for install.
I was quite adamant that this was a deal breaker, the equipment was already wired. This was going to be a plug and play. I had already wired it all up and all the receivers were already working. She credited the install charge, so it will not be billed.
Just some info to D*. I just wished for the amount I spend and amount of equipment that is installed that D* would be sympathetic to a long standing customer.

I called D* several months ago to inquire when I would be out of contract. The CSR told me it would be Oct 17, 2012. I called today to get a Genie receiver. The first CSR I called said it would cost me $299 for the unit, I also wanted to get a D* with Tivo for the wife. She really liked the Tivo of old....
The CSR said she couldnt comp the genie but would comp the Tivo unit.
I explained I would contact the president line/email for escalation. Sent an email to the CEO email resolving the issue.
Now I have 10 receivers in the house active without a contract, I spend about $200-250/month for D* service.
The president rep called me about three hours later and said she could sell the Genie receiver for $99. I thought that was high, why not comp a leased piece of equipment and now I see that others have been.
We agreed to the $99 charge, but at the end wanted to charge me $49 for install.
I was quite adamant that this was a deal breaker, the equipment was already wired. This was going to be a plug and play. I had already wired it all up and all the receivers were already working. She credited the install charge, so it will not be billed.
Just some info to D*. I just wished for the amount I spend and amount of equipment that is installed that D* would be sympathetic to a long standing customer.

I am going to email the President of the company and see what kinda deal I can get..

I am going to email the President of the company and see what kinda deal I can get..

You don'tneed to email the president for this stuff. I just finished my first 2-year contract with DirecTV. I called and said "cancel" to get to retention. I wasn't demanding, I asked what they might do to keep me as a customer and explained that the new subs were really getting some fantastic deals. I think one of the keys is.... Don't be a di..... jerk. Be polite and friendly. I'm sure it also has something to do with which CSR you get.

You don'tneed to email the president for this stuff. I just finished my first 2-year contract with DirecTV. I called and said "cancel" to get to retention. I wasn't demanding, I asked what they might do to keep me as a customer and explained that the new subs were really getting some fantastic deals. I think one of the keys is.... Don't be a di..... jerk. Be polite and friendly. I'm sure it also has something to do with which CSR you get.

retention will not always work, it did not for me, i had to go to the office of the president

retention will not always work, it did not for me, i had to go to the office of the president

I've tried both the retention and I went to the office of the president. All they want to offer me is $299 with a $10 per month credit for 12 months.

Having no luck in getting a good deal here. What's the trick in getting a good deal ??

We are having the same issue. We were a directv customer... Then moved to a place where we could not physically get a dish signal (we tried)... We knew we were only going to be in that place for a few months and said we wanted to either put our account on hold or pay for the lowest possible service so we could keep our equipment and have it at the ready when we moved into our new house... We were told flat out that directv did not allow either of this and that we had to send our equipment back or be charged for each of the boxes (keep in mind this was only to be for four months..) but we were also told that when we moved into our new place they would give us the same equipment we had before...

So when I called up to get service, it shows we have an active account but with service "disconnected"... They however now are wanting to charge us full retail price for the whole home DVr option (that we had before) and do not even have the option of getting a h34 as those are only for "new" customers... So we cannot sign up as a new customer since there is an active account and we can't get our old equipment back without paying full retail....

Has anyone else ever seen this situation or have any ideas what to do? Besides signing up for dish... I'm in Alaska..dish needs to mount two dishes to the roof and its pretty bad service from what I hear.... Plus we have 2 3d tvs and want NASCAR in car....

Thank you for ANY tips.

I've tried both the retention and I went to the office of the president. All they want to offer me is $299 with a $10 per month credit for 12 months.

Having no luck in getting a good deal here. What's the trick in getting a good deal ??

be polite.
explain what you are looking for
i told them i was out of contract, and just wanted to upgrade my equipment, i wasnt worried about all the other credits they give new customers
then i asked if people had to switch carriers every 2 years just to keep up with technology

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)