Cancel with New Customer Sign-up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RSquirrel

Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
California
I'm planning on using the "Cancellation Bluff" to get what I want as a free or low-cost upgrade (from an old failing Hughes HDVR2 Tivo unit - with no time remaining on my contract - to an HR24 or HR34/Genie - single unit only), but assuming I am NOT successful, has anyone done the following, and if so: Did it work? Any pitfalls?

1. Cancel current service.
2. Sign up as a new customer.
3. Get current offer (free Genie HD DVR and installation)

Q1. Does DirecTV require a waiting period between cancelling and signing up as a new customer?
Q2. Do I need to sign up in my wife's name instead of mine, or does it not matter?
Q3. Will they associate the "new" address with the old address and deny service when they realize that they match?

Since they check your credit, they may also go by social security number.

Heck if you're unsuccessful with CSR roulette and end up cancelling, there's probably a good chance they'll call you back within a week and ask you why you cancelled (I know Dish did this when my sister cancelled). When they call you back there's probably a good chance you could get the deal you want at that point.

Hopefully you'll get what you want before you have to actually cancel though. I've had pretty good luck with the retention folks.

I renew every two years and renew with Retention only. They are great to work with. I paid zero for the HR34 and all the upgrade installation. It certainly would be easier to be a new customer as they give more programming credits. I'm very happy with my agreement.

Hey rd76,

If I understand your post correctly, you cancel every two years (I assume this is the length of your contract) and start over as a new customer. If I have this right, then:

Q1. Are they aware that you are a former customer when you start over as a "new" customer?
Q2. If they don't know, how are you able to make them think you are a legitimate new subscriber (different name, different phone number, or other)?
Q3. If they do know, do they ever give you a hassle about canceling and re-subscribing?
Q4. If they're treating you as a new subscriber, why do you go through retention?

I'm planning on using the "Cancellation Bluff" to get what I want as a free or low-cost upgrade (from an old failing Hughes HDVR2 Tivo unit - with no time remaining on my contract - to an HR24 or HR34/Genie - single unit only), but assuming I am NOT successful, has anyone done the following, and if so: Did it work? Any pitfalls?

1. Cancel current service.
2. Sign up as a new customer.
3. Get current offer (free Genie HD DVR and installation)

Q1. Does DirecTV require a waiting period between cancelling and signing up as a new customer?
Q2. Do I need to sign up in my wife's name instead of mine, or does it not matter?
Q3. Will they associate the "new" address with the old address and deny service when they realize that they match?

I'm getting ready to try the new customer approach using my wife's information at this point. I've called numerous times, and each time they're not willing to budge on a new HR34 unless I pay the $299 plus installation. I've already gone on their website, and started the sign up process as my wife. All I need to do is give them a credit card # and setup the installation date. I've hesitated in pulling the trigger, but I really want that HR34 receiver :eek:

I'm getting ready to try the new customer approach using my wife's information at this point. I've called numerous times, and each time they're not willing to budge on a new HR34 unless I pay the $299 plus installation. I've already gone on their website, and started the sign up process as my wife. All I need to do is give them a credit card # and setup the installation date. I've hesitated in pulling the trigger, but I really want that HR34 receiver :eek:

Can you try a Local Installation company ?

Can you try a Local Installation company ?

For the new install ?? Not sure. I've read also of people going to Sam's Club, or Costco and setting up someone else in their household as a new customer. Hate to have to play games like this, but it's not as if DirecTv gives you much of a choice.

For the new install ?? Not sure. I've read also of people going to Sam's Club, or Costco and setting up someone else in their household as a new customer. Hate to have to play games like this, but it's not as if DirecTv gives you much of a choice.

Sure they do, theres nothing saying you have to go directly thru D*, Costco or a Local Installer works fine.

Generally, I'd say change as much information as possible. Different SS#, different credit card, different name, different phone number, different address, etc. Just make sure all the information matches what is on your credit card.

Sure they do, theres nothing saying you have to go directly thru D*, Costco or a Local Installer works fine.

What's different from signing up as a new customer through Directv or Costco, or even a local installer ?? Is going through Costco or local installer going to improve my odds ?? If so, I'm all for that.

What's different from signing up as a new customer through Directv or Costco, or even a local installer ?? Is going through Costco or local installer going to improve my odds ?? If so, I'm all for that.

Might not be as thuro ...
Menard does sign ups as well, not that I would necessarily go there to sign up, Best Buy as well.

You may find different deals at the other locations vs D*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)